Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Reader's question: Buying Emergency Preparedness Supplies

Last post Sun, Jul 11 2010 6:44 PM by ymeinga. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 15 2010 12:08 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Reader's question: Buying Emergency Preparedness Supplies

This one is of real interest to me. We've had several tornado warnings this year, so emergency supplies have been on my mind. Not what to have ready, but how to obtain them without it costing too much. The reader writes:

I'm looking for a cheap way to collect all the items for an emergency in a timely manner? It seems like many states have a website urging people to prepare. We're told to store items needed in a disaster. But it is so expensive!!! Any suggestions on how to get all this stuff without busting the budget?

How do you save money on emergency items?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Jun 15 2010 1:00 PM In reply to

Re: Reader's question: Buying Emergency Preparedness Supplies

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.53fabf6cc033f17a2b1ecfbf43181aa0/?vgnextoid=537b218c37752210VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD&currPage=e507d7aada352210VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD

Here is a list suggested by the American Red Cross. You can adapt it to your own needs.

A good way to get started is to visit a thrift store. Then start checking sales flyers for the other things. You might have some of these things (like a manual can opener) already.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Jun 15 2010 1:24 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

I recommend checking out some sites on the web that sell supplies and get familiar with what's out on the market. Then make a list of what you think you'll need - make sure you write down what the company will charge versus what you can find at brick and mortar stores. A lot of the stuff you can get cheaper if you shop around. The problem with disasters is that its hard to know HOW MUCH to buy. You could be without water and power for a few hours to a few weeks. If your area is prone to disasters, buy items that can be used more than once even after they've been opened. For example ... you can get little packets of antibacterial wipes that come in kits, OR for about $1.70 you can get Wal-mart brand anti-bacterial wipes in a plastic container. If they dry out, just add water. What you don't use up the first time, can be used up next time. Same goes for a box of medical latex (or non-latex) gloves and other items. The items that are most useful & easy to come by are medical and non perishable items. Just make sure you store them to keep them water-proof in case the disaster turns out to be a flood.
    Pat:
    We're told to store items needed in a disaster. But it is so expensive!!! Any suggestions on how to get all this stuff without busting the budget?
    We invested in a lot of store bought items in the past year but the one back-up we decided to invest in was freeze dried food from Emergency Essentials, specifically vegetables. Once its opened, it does have a limited shelf life but unopened in the right conditions, it can last for 20+ years. We focused on vegetables because that would be the hardest food for us to come by in a disaster. They can be used in many one-pot recipes and stretched out to last as long as necessary. They also sell meats and cheeses. We know we'd do most of our emergency cooking on propane grill or crock pots (using a small generator or solar power).
    Pat:
    How do you save money on emergency items?
    Don't feel compelled to buy everything all at once. Prioritize and decided what would come in handy in all types of disasters. A Weather Band radio (battery / wind-up) is a good investment because chances are if you lose electric, you will lose TV-Internet- and eventually cell phones. Again wet supplies are useless so make sure you buy waterproof containers.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Tue, Jun 15 2010 1:43 PM In reply to

I do the BOGO on things like bottled water and peanut butter. I buy extra crackers. I buy extra batteries. I use coupons. I watch for sales. I buy things like flash lights on sale. I bought myself some hand cranked radios. I also buy baby wipes which make good sponge bathes. I try to stock up on juices and soft drinks. I buy those fruit in gel packs and I buy canned fruit. I keep extra paper towels in the house.

• Wed, Jun 16 2010 1:19 PM In reply to

I compare my expectations to the published lists and consider what I really need versus what someone else might need. Then I compare to what I already have. Then I look for items that will fill in the blanks and possibly serve some other purpose as well. Then I look for the best bargains I can find. We always have plenty of food, but I have given thught to how to use it when the power's out.  AM

• Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:19 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Anna Marie:
    We always have plenty of food, but I have given thught to how to use it when the power's out. 
    This was our concern too. We have a small generator for times when the power goes out. Our priorities are to keep the sump pumps and refrigerator/freezers going (and the heater in winter). Depending on the time of year the power goes out, we could cook in a crock pot,electric skillet, toaster oven or countertop two-burner hot-plates. We also have a propane grill. These small items use far less electricity than a regular stove.
  • Wed, Jun 16 2010 2:35 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

What would you take with you if you had to leave your home quickly? Do you have that ready to go?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Jun 16 2010 3:35 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Pat:

What would you take with you if you had to leave your home quickly? Do you have that ready to go?

We are in a fortunate situation where we would be better off staying put. It may get messy and uncomfortable but we would do better. We'd know our surroundings and our limitations. Only one type of disaster that would cause us to leave would be a fire and in that case we have all our medications, paperwork/information in portable files ready to go.
  • Thu, Jun 17 2010 9:51 PM In reply to

We have a supply of camping articles that we can convert to everyday use.We would probably also stay if something happened because we live out of the city.We do have a generator we could use if needed.We also have a composting toilet so if we did lose power we would not need to wory about flushing.We also have a 500 gallon water tank and rain barrels we use for the garden that could be used if water was needed.

One thing we would really like to get is a Berkey water filter.We could filter the water from the pond with this filter and have clean drinking water.

I hope we never have to find out how if we really are prepared.

• Thu, Jun 17 2010 10:39 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

after Hurricane Ivan blew in NC and we were on three smalll generators we went with a whole house .. we lost power in December the 18th and got it back on Jan.. 4  the ice storm then snow we were one of the last to have power back   the other day the  power when off for 7 hours car accident  down the highway

we have a copy of important papers and money with medications and three days of clothes in packages we have several in different places and with other people . we almost had to leave when it been hurrican season , fire season  Fire got with in 150 feet of the BIg barn and  with 22 feet of the cabin ... we have had so near misses ..  we are also a readiness family community directors ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us