Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Can anyone give teenagers/recent college grads somet ips on getting a job today?

Last post Fri, Jul 30 2010 1:48 PM by bwallace. 21 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 11 2010 12:39 AM In reply to

• daviddurick
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 11 2010
    • Bozeman, MT
    • Posts 6

Re: Can anyone give teenagers/recent college grads somet ips on getting a job today?

Everyone had some good advice.  One of the most creative solutions my dad told me early on and I've actually used it and it WORKS!  Especially in a hard job market.  If there's a job you really want and you know you can do it, make an offer to do the job for a week or two weeks for free to prove to them you can do the job.  It's not something you do at every job interview but I used it once and the guy was so impressed that he called me back 2 weeks later when the other person he'd hired didn't work out and I got the job.  It actually was the job that got me into my current career so it was a great pitch to use when I was really wanting the job and also really needing the money as I was out of work!

David

• Fri, Jul 30 2010 1:48 PM In reply to

Re: Can anyone give teenagers/recent college grads somet ips on getting a job today?

My husband and I are young and had this problem recently. I think it helps for recent college graduates to consider jobs that may not specifically fit into their major. Also, many of us discount activities and past work experience that may make us look good to an employer. Changing how you look at these things can change how you present them to an employer, which may increase your likelihood of being hired.

One big thing, though, is to network to find jobs that aren't posted. Job sites and "now hiring" signs are places to start, but so many jobs are filled before they're even advertised.

Page 3 of 3 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 3

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us