Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Spring Cleaning

Last post Tue, May 8 2007 6:58 PM by Brandy. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 18 2007 1:33 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Spring Cleaning

Is anyone starting spring cleaning? Do you use commercial or home made solutions for deep cleaning?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 18 2007 2:02 PM In reply to

Re: Spring Cleaning

I use both home made and commercial cleaners, depending on the job.  One thing I do is, after vacuuming the couch and chairs in the living room, is wipe down the upholstery with white vinegar.  It is amazing the amount of dirt that this will remove and leaves the upholstery brighter and fresh smelling. 
    Patrink

• Wed, Apr 18 2007 2:13 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

What kind of fabric is yours?

I like to use home made when I am doing regular cleaning but I like to deep clean with a commercial disinfectant.

• Wed, Apr 18 2007 6:27 PM In reply to

Re: Re: Spring Cleaning

Brandy, my couch is a coarse blue and white fabric, probably polyester based that looks like cotton but probably isn't.  Two of my wingback chairs are blue damask and one is navy blue damask.  I think most upholstery fabrics nowadays have at least some polyester to resist fading and make it wear longer.  A couple of years ago we had a water spaniel that used to literally wipe herself off on the front of the couch, leaving a brown stain clear across the front.  The wipe down with vinegar took it all off!!  I also use vinegar for my wood painted furniture.  I do like heavy duty commercial cleaners for deep cleaning bathrooms and kitchens etc.
    Patrink
    EDA:  I have one of those little steam cleaners but I am too chicken to use it!
  • Wed, Apr 18 2007 6:35 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I'll have to try this one, thanks!

• Wed, Apr 18 2007 6:59 PM In reply to

• helen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 176

I use a commercial cleaner, but just a regular one (nothing fancy) and usually a 'green choice' one with no phosphates etc. I have a deck-scrubbing brush that I use on the linoleum once every few weeks for a deep clean (it has a bit of a texture printed into it that seems to catch the dirt).

I did 'Flylady' for a while so I try to keep on top of the cleaning and not have to do any major jobs, just get into the nooks and crannies that I miss. Also take stuff out of the closets and shake out the dust a bit. 

• Wed, Apr 18 2007 8:27 PM In reply to

Spring cleaning?  What's that? :)

maybe we get more time because it snowed last week-

We rug doctored the carpets for Easter, and they will come clean the ducts and dryer vent next week, applying a germicide to the ducts. I'll spray out the permanent furnance filters.  We need to rip up the whole kitchen floor, the water leaked from the fridge and the subfloor is moldy- anyone jealous?  Insurance said it was not covered because it did not happen  "spontaneously."  Any one had luck with insurance companies?  The linoleum store quoted $3400.

Sorting, decluttering, rotating clothes is a weekly battle- so uninspiring.  Dh is a packrat.  

Hopefully you guys will inspire me- what I love is the expensive but delicious smelling Mrs. Murphy's soaps- I do clean more when I have them.   How about lack of discipline?

Tracy 

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• Wed, Apr 18 2007 10:49 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

LOL! Well, if I don't spring clean now, it will be too hot soon. This is the time of the year when it's warm enough for shorts but a cool breeze blows.

On the mold...oh yeah, look here lady, if you have more mold than I do, we have issues. But seriously, how does mold happen spontaneously? It's not like you penciled in a date for it to happen.

Believe me, I am constantly picking up clutter, wiping something off a surface and re-organising some space.  But I need to get into really cleaning out cabinets and such and scrubbing everything from top to bottom. Are you referring to Murphy's Soap Oil and what does it smell like?

• Thu, Apr 19 2007 8:09 AM In reply to

• kabin
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • Indiana
    • Posts 1,618

Thanks for this tip of wiping down the upholstry with vinegar. I deep cleaned our bedroom yesterday. We have our couch in there temporarily, until the living room is complete. The couch is a hand me down and smelled like a dog so bad at first that I didn't know if we could keep the couch. I found out that the previous owners had thier dog use this couch to sleep on all day. I want to try this method to see if the couch will smell fresh after all.
  • Thu, Apr 19 2007 9:22 AM In reply to

• Colland
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 10 2007
    • Grand Ledge, MI
    • Posts 18

Forgive me ( I feel stupid asking this) but how do you wipe down the furniture with vinegar. Do you just wet a cloth with it then wipe it down? Is there a special type of vinegar? The vinegar I have smells horrible.
Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us