Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

cleaning a fan

Last post Mon, Jun 21 2010 10:50 AM by ziggee. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 25 2010 9:12 PM

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

cleaning a fan

It's getting warm, which means we've gotten our fans out. Does anyone have any ideas on cleaning all the dust and stuff from a fan? We have two or three window fans that don't open up at all - I can't unscrew them and get inside - and the casing is just absolutely filthy. I tried to clean with q tips and a toothbrush, and it got rid of some of it, but some other of it just moved around and now looks even worse. I don't think I can submerge them in water because hey, they're electrical appliances. I would love some ideas. Thanks!

• Tue, May 25 2010 9:25 PM In reply to

Re: cleaning a fan

They have to open up somehow some way.  Keep looking.  Some of mine do just pop open.  You can also take the blades off and give them a good scrub then add some oil before you put them back on.  If you are still having trouble, try googling their model numbers looking for instruction books.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Tue, May 25 2010 9:30 PM In reply to

MamaJ, Can you buy a can of compressed air to clean your fan with where I used to work they used pressed air to clean the dust from our computer keyboards. You would have to put something down on your floor to catch all of the dust if it were me and the fan isn't to heavy I would take it outside and wear a mask or something. I used to sleep with a fan on all of my adult life but once I married dh he couldn't stand the racket. I had the type fan you could unscrew take the front and back off I used paper towels to get the dust off then I took Tide and water cleaned and rinsed and let it air dry before plugging back in. (BE SURE TO UNPLUG BEFORE DOING ANY CLEANING OF YOUR FANS)

• Wed, May 26 2010 8:45 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

2ndGenGranola:
    They have to open up somehow some way.  Keep looking.

I'll keep looking - I took it apart partially one time, but still couldn't get to where the really grubby stuff was. Good idea looking at the model numbers.

And thanks for the compressed air suggestion! I did have my husband try and go at it with the shop-vac, and that didn't do anything...

• Mon, May 31 2010 2:05 PM In reply to

Yeah, I've never come up with anything better than compressed air for mine.  I suppose there must be *some* way to open them up, but I've never figured it out.

My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • Tue, Jun 1 2010 8:32 AM In reply to

I took mine out into the driveway and used the leaf blower on them.  What didn't come loose, I used canned compressed air on.

• Tue, Jun 1 2010 2:19 PM In reply to

I use DH's air compressor on ours.  It is amazing how much "stuff" comes out of a fan when you do that.

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Mon, Jun 21 2010 10:50 AM In reply to

• ziggee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 18 2007
    • Posts 70

I had a fan that could not be opened and took it outside and cleaned it with water.  I took the spray nozzle and just sprayed the heck out of it.  After it looked like new I let it air dry outside for a few hours and it's now as good as new.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us