Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Prep for Electrical Outage

Last post 09-18-2011 10:54 AM by Halyna. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2010 12:19 AM

Prep for Electrical Outage

Since the severe weather is making itself known in this area, I am reminded of the need to be prepared to lose electricity. Most of our readiness is commonplace; we have flashlights, oil lamps, and candles. If we're cold or need to cook we can use a fireplace or cook on the gas grill outside. My greatest concern is that loss of electrical power means that we can no longer pump water from the well. Because of that we keep a good stock of water, some in rain barrels outside. I have learned to draw water for flushing before a storm, but to store it in buckets as it will leak out of the bathtub overnight. *** What other ways do you prepare for power outages? AM
  • 05-02-2010 12:39 AM In reply to

Re: Prep for Electrical Outage

I try to keep bottled water in the house. I have a supply of peanut butter. I need to stock up on crackers again. I also have individual servings of fruits.

I have 3 of those solar power/crank radios. They make life more bearable when the lights are out.

I keep a supply of baby wipes also.

I bought a charger for my cell phone that works in the car.

I also try to keep up to date with my prescriptions.

• 05-02-2010 8:06 AM In reply to

After a couple of experiences, we bought a small generator. Also should have extra gas on hand for the generator. Our concern was keeping the sump pumps running and the refrigerator and freezers going. We also have a propane grill and can also cook in crock pots or other small appliances. We are selective about what would be used in a power outage. Also got a battery powered weather channel radio. You can get heavy duty large 7 gallon plastic water jugs (BPA Fee) and fill those up too. The were about $8.00 at Walmart a couple years ago and they have a spout for pouring. I keep dehydrated vegetables for cooking on hand as well.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 05-02-2010 11:13 AM In reply to

Also wanted to add that a hand held can opener, battery operated clocks and anti-bacterial wipes. Need to unplug most of the appliances because power surges can ruin appliances when they first come back on line.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 12-14-2010 10:58 PM In reply to

For us the biggest problem is that although we have a gas-fired furnace, the pump that circulates the hot water is electrical.  So no power means no heat.  We don't have a wood stove or a fireplace, so the best we could do is light the oven (with a match) and huddle around that.

My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • 12-14-2010 11:12 PM In reply to

flash light

radio that runs on batteries

extra batteries

first aid kit pets need a first aid kit for them too.

tool kit

sturdy shoes

extra clothes and rain gear just in case

food and water

have important pappers with you or in a safe place

sleeping bag,pillows.extra blankets

coleman stove

lantern and a propaine heater incert for the inside tank part stays outside

have extra prescriptions (medicens) extra glasses and cell phone on you

hygine products

sanitary bathroom thing out side trust me on this one should be out side

have a clean bucket for washing up your self and an extra one for dish's

ok have tap water in a five gallion water jug and water pills to purify the water..

Reason I took a course when I was young on surivial Im not kidding it was hard work and the I wish I knew that aditute I no longer have since I had to learn it because I paid for it and got the training the next course someday I like to learn is powder puff machinics on how to take a course on how to take care of a car better like a minnie tune up myself.

• 07-13-2011 12:04 PM In reply to

I too have the same concern with our water well. Since we have a tractor at the ranch the solution I came up with is to purchase a 60 amp generator that can be attached to the tractor pto.(the tractor needs to be at least 25 hp) Then have a electrician rig up a switch so when the grid is down we can plug in the water pump to the tractor generator and use it as needed. The generator doens't have a motor since the tractor is the power plant for it. So no separate engine to maintain amd worry about. We also have another 30 amp generator for the house when power goes down for the fridge, tv, microwave, etc. We use lots of AA rechargable batteries for our flashlights and other small items that is recharged by solar chargers.  The laptop can run for a couple of hours on battories and it's setup with a tv card and we use a wireless card for internet access, the generator recharges it as needed. We have propane for cooking.  As long as we have enough fuel for the generators we can get by pretty much indefinately. I am thinking of getting a sun frost fridge and buying solar panels for it. That would cut our grid bill and one less thing to power during an outage. Anyone have one that they've hooked up with panels? How has that worked out?

Proverbs 23:5 - Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.
  • 07-13-2011 1:15 PM In reply to

Money_Illusion:
    well. Since we have a tractor at the ranch the solution I came up with is to purchase a 60 amp generator that can be attached to the tractor pto

Neat solution.

There is a pump company here that will put a hand pump inline with the electric pump on wells.  It gives one more option for gettign water when the electric is out.  Wells here are anywhere from 180 to 800 feet deep so it probably takes quite a bit of pumping by hand. 

I've got a solar charger for batteries, battery radio, flashlights, and candles.  A little folding barbecue thingy that I can burn anything in, a stock of tap water (out of purification tablets!  must get some when I'm in town), clothes, blankets, etc.  I also have a friend down the street with a wood stove and what borders on a hoarding problem for shelf-stable food products.  She's invited me to stay with her anytime there is a power outage.

• 07-14-2011 11:15 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Maggie Trudeau:
    put a hand pump inline with the electric pump on wells.

This is the best piece of info I have gotten in a long time!!!  Definatly going to look for one here!!   While we store water, for a lengthy blackout I would have to go down to the lake & haul water in containers, then into the house (my poor, poor back!)  

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 07-14-2011 3:32 PM In reply to

Yes, hauling water is a grueling job.

On another note, if you need to bring water from an open source like a lake, we just had a mobile solar pump built for work. It was about 1100$ but now that we've seen it, we could make one from readily available parts.

It's a solar panel mounted on a frame that allows adjustment for angle, and folds flat (wouldn't need it that fancy if not hauling it to archaeology sites).  This also has a bellows pump, small one about 8inchees long and 3-4 in diameter, mounted on the frame and powered by the solar panel.  There is a deep cycle battery that is carried separately (to avoid making it too heavy to haul through brush and scrub for miles) and will store up some charge.  Hoses hooked to the intake and outflow of the pump finish it up.  It will pump at about the same pressure as a good exterior household spigot.  They made it to go about 300 yards distance at a 10% slope if need be.  If you were willing to accept less pressure, it would go further.   The choice of a bellows type pump was because we are accessing silty/grimy water and it would wear out a pump with fins.

A guy at the office built a floating intake aparatus from PVC so the intake hose can be floated out a ways away from the shoreline.  He screened it so it won't suck up little fish or leaves and whatnot.  He did it mostly for fun.  I suggested tying an old foot from a pair of panty hose around the intake to filter out unwanted items...of course I don't know anyone who wears panty hose so that would have actually been a challenge to get!  Maybe one of my old wool boot socks would work too! 

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us