Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Reader's question: Property line disputes

Last post 04-28-2010 12:36 PM by Edey. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2010 11:24 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Reader's question: Property line disputes

Here's another question. It seems like we've discussed this before but I can't find anything about it:

Where can I find information on the laws governing Property line disputes?  Hopefully not in too difficult legal language.  Thanks

Where would you suggest the reader looks? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 04-28-2010 11:26 AM In reply to

Re: Reader's question: Property line disputes

Try your local tax assessor's office or your Superior Court Clerk's office. They would be a good place to start.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 04-28-2010 12:36 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Re: Reader's question: Property line disputes

I've been through that.  Look up anything you can about the topic "Adverse possession". Basically it states that if you used or occupied a piece of property in plain sight for an extended period of time and your possession or use of that property was never questioned or disputed, then you can make a claim for that property. For example: if you cleared, plowed and farmed a field for years but never had contact with the owner during that time, then suddenly the owner, or a new owner if the property had been recently sold, comes and claims the property, you can dispute that claim. If you have a garage or fence built a foot over the property line and it has been that way for decades and it was never disputed, you can make a claim of possession. It would have to be settled legally, at which point it should be filed legally the same way a deed is filed. The outcome may be a permanent easement, which says that everything stays as it is; no one can dispute the ownership after that. 

If you need an attorney you can go thru your county Bar association to get referrals for attorneys who handle land claims. You may have to have legal help to settle it. Arbitration is also an option and is generally cheaper than court costs. 

I'm not an attorney, just someone with this type of experience.  Hope this helps.  

Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us