Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What Do You Make That Is Cheaper Than Going To A Restaurant?

Last post 04-30-2010 4:25 PM by A Bryan. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-18-2010 12:17 PM

What Do You Make That Is Cheaper Than Going To A Restaurant?

Do you make your own Italian or Mexican foods rather than going out to Italian and Mexican restaurants ? Do you make other foods that are less expensive than eating at a restaurant ?

• 04-18-2010 12:25 PM In reply to

Re: What Do You Make That Is Cheaper Than Going To A Restaurant?

I buy frozen Bubba Burgers on sale. I buy frozen potatoes and fries on sale. I've gotten really good at making myself a burger platter that is just as good as Red Robin's. It costs me a fraction of what eating at Red Robin would.Inflation fighter

• 04-18-2010 12:38 PM In reply to

I really like my beef enchilada recipe and sure I can make a whole 9x13 pan at a fraction of what I would pay for a meal at a Mexican restaurant. My margaritas are pretty tasty, too, LOL.

Erika
  • 04-18-2010 12:41 PM In reply to

We make a version of Chicken/Tukey Enchiladas...my aunt taught me.

You cook a turkey or chicken breasts.  We usually make these after cooking a whole bird. You take the cooked meat, shred it, place it in a bowl or pan, add green chilies, cheese, and black olives sliiced. Mix it up, add a little green sauce. until moist. Take Tortillas and fill them, roll them up and place in a glass baking dish. Cover with more cheese, poor remaining green sauce over the top, make it kind of souply but not overly so. Garnish with olives, and more green chilies. Spray some foil with non-stick spray. Cover and bake at 400 until heated thru. Since everything is pre-cooked heat it till piping hot. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving. Serve with salad...very yummy..Very economical, costs about $12 to $15 dollars for a HUGE pan, that serves a family of three for about 3 days or a large group of about 8 to 10 people for one meal. We use the large tortilla's so for smaller appetites, you can cut one in half after cooking.. 

You will need..

Chicken or Turkey. You can use dark meat if you like the taste and to cut costs.

Cheese

Green Chilies, Jalapeno's if you like too

Green Sauce

Olives

Sour cream if you like

Baking dish, aluminum foil, and pam...

• 04-18-2010 12:43 PM In reply to

I can make a good Bloody Mary. Mine taste just as good as the ones served at the Williamsburg Inn or at The Trellis. They cost a lot less also.Wink

• 04-18-2010 7:11 PM In reply to

Homemade pizza is a lot cheaper and better . Ice tea too. really most cakes, pies or cookies can be made cheaper and healthier. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 04-19-2010 10:41 AM In reply to

I think everything I make is cheaper than going to a restaurant. Some of the things we really like that we make instead of going to a restaurant are sweet and sour chicken, burritos, fettuccine alfredo, lasagna, and chicken marsala.
  • 04-20-2010 11:02 PM In reply to

The cheapest substitute dinner out is a good steak. No matter how expensive the filet is at the grocery store, it is cheaper than a good steak house, especially with the standard fare of baked potato, asparagus and maybe a salad or dessert, plus wine and coffee.  Much cheaper at home. 

Any past you can buy at a restaurant can be made cheaper at home.  I also make a garlic rosemary chicken that is much cheaper at home. My lasagna may or may not be much cheaper, but is much better.  I have a favorite mexican restaurant that has lunch specials for less than 4 dollars, so I generally get my Mexican food fix there.

• 04-20-2010 11:04 PM In reply to

Good point.  Cocktails of any kind are always cheaper at home, and most are relatively easy to learn to make. 

• 04-21-2010 10:42 AM In reply to

I make a lot of mexican dishes, we all really love it. I make fajitas, sophapillas, (sp.), layered dips, salsa, etc. Last week I stopped by a flea market and bought some poblano and jalapeno peppers, and made chili rellano casserole and stuffed jalapenos.

I also make a lot of homemade pizzas. I bake mine on a cast iron pizza pan. 

Donna

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us