Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Is Your Clutter Costing You?

Last post Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:31 AM by Zeus. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 7 2010 10:11 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Is Your Clutter Costing You?

Can clutter actually cost you money?

Saving Money by Cleaning

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:10 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Is Your Clutter Costing You?

This article reminds me about something that happened at my in-laws. On the surface, their place doesn't appear too bad until you open the cupboards. The last time we were there and getting ready to eat, there was a semi-heated debate about who bought what pasta and where it could be found. Both BIL and SIL are a little too "spontaneous" for me but they criticize another family member for being too organized. Having a well filled pantry is a plus but it takes consistency to maintain it. There is a syndrome that my DH has that contributes to this problem. Its called "Surface Dweller". Many people only look as far as the surface to find something and they resist MOVING anything in front to look deeper. If an object is put away, its too much trouble to get it out. So they leave things out that is important out in the open so it can be found. After a while everything has the same level of importance and gets left out and becomes clutter. Its a running joke in our house when DH gets that furrowed brow and determined look .. I know he's looking for something.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Wed, Apr 7 2010 11:46 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Toni B.:
    Many people only look as far as the surface to find something and they resist MOVING anything in front to look deeper

My husband and children do not have this problem. They will dig but from my point of view, it looks more like a dog after a bone. And just like the digging dog, there is stuff all over out of place after. They do have "I can't figure out how to put it back the way it was" syndrome. They will just toss it in and that looks fine to them.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Apr 7 2010 12:33 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Brandy:
    And just like the digging dog, there is stuff all over out of place after. They do have "I can't figure out how to put it back the way it was" syndrome.
    Yep ... there's that problem too. Love the analogy : )
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Wed, Apr 7 2010 3:24 PM In reply to

• Emma
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 23 2010
    • Posts 123

I definately believe that unorganized clutter can cost you. A good deal isn't a good deal if you never use it because you can't find it.

• Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:31 AM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, May 7 2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

Yes, in the past it has, and that's one of the reasons I decided sadly to stop going to tag/garage sales and thrift stores on a regular basis. I found I had triplicates of lots of things that were taking up space and cost me $ over time. I can already see the results and the added benefit is that it's is getting much easier to clean the house with less stuff around. Something to be said for simplicity. Next step, if I can work on now recruiting the family to help clean also, housekeeping will get even easier. My fault, I should never have automatically signed up for everything when I first got married, like I was the wife/ maid. Ooops, sorry, a little bit of oversharing for a moment.

I'm trying to get lots more pleasure from my garden, and the added benefit of gardening is that you can have a collection of various plants, but the collection is outside, not taking up space in the home. A win win situation.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us