Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Frugal Pampering

Last post Mon, Oct 1 2007 10:21 PM by My Family's Interests. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 22 2007 7:08 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Frugal Pampering

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Sep 23 2007 7:51 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Re: Frugal Pampering

I'm a princess--on a frugal budget.

I keep my feet smooth, moisturized, and toenails polished year round.  Use the callus file daily, oil feet daily, polish touched up or redone completely as needed.  Just use dollar store baby oil but am going to try Pat's olive oil suggestion when the baby oil is gone.  A friend suggested tea tree oil but that is too pricey for me.  If I don't like the olive oil I can use it in the kitchen.

Nails are kept very short. I use clear polish on them very frequently. Moisturize my cuticles and tops of my hands like crazy.  My job involves handling books all day long.  Any length of nail other than very short is not conducive to the job.  

I use a homade sugar scrub almost daily in the shower.

I put on a small amount of eye makeup every day.

I use perfume every day.  

That is the extent of my pampering, more to keep dry skin hydrated and soft then princess complex.  I wear open toe sandals from May until end of Sept. so I want my feet to look acceptable.  

I don't look at walking, napping, etc. as pampering--exercise is something I endure while napping is something I rarely do as it interrupts my night's sleep.

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sun, Sep 23 2007 8:19 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Vaseline or the store brand ones work very well as a foot moisturiser.

• Sun, Sep 23 2007 1:04 PM In reply to

I always moisturize. Need too. Give myself pedicures and paint my toes.  Can't wear eye makeup at the moment due to allergys. Have a skin scrub. I often buy pampering products and forget to use them.  My pampering is my herb tea at night, the chance to read in peace. Working on being able to do hobbies :)

My Family's Interests
  • Sun, Sep 23 2007 1:13 PM In reply to

• Carol
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 23 2007
    • Arizona
    • Posts 7

Hi you!  You're another one I've missed at FL.  Nice to 'see' you again!  

Pampering?  What's that?  lol   I hardly ever think about it but I do love my good smelling 'bath stuff'.   And I do take good care of my feet because I'm a waitress and they are an important part of my job!   I use either Dove or Olay shower products and love them.  They are the only ones I've found that really do combat dry skin and they aren't expensive.  Also last me quite a while..   I wear very little makeup and I rarely wear colognes or perfumes...especially at work...because so many people are allergic to them.  I do wear them on my days off though.  It just makes me feel good.  And smell nice too!  I appreciate it even if there's nobody else around to appreciate it too.  Haven't got the cat's opinions yet.....   

• Sun, Sep 23 2007 1:15 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

My Family's Interests:
    Working on being able to do hobbies :)

What hobbies are you planning to get involved with?

• Sun, Sep 23 2007 2:11 PM In reply to

I have lots that I do and have done in the past. I have always have hope in doing it!  Life in general keeps me busy. I like gardening.  I am very left handed so that effects patterns etc.  I have a bunch of vintage crochet patterns and I like Vanna White crochet books.  I have always crocheted. Mostly baby quilts and filet crochet. Learned to knit a bit this year. Not a lot of call for mittens, scarves with the weather here.  Found a kids knitting machine at value village that my son broke the first day. Dh tried to fit it but no luck. Doesn't go around anymore. but goes back and forth for scarves which my dd can do with help for xmas presents. Have done the soapmaking, ribbon embroidery, a bit of cross stitch, a bit of mosiac,  made beeswax candles when Michaels first opened up here and beeswax was a special 4 sheets for a $1.  A bit of scrapbooking, card making etc (have lots of that stuff)  Have the kniffy knitter looms. Have all the stuff for it lol. stashed away. I took quilting and serger courses. I have beautiful japanese print fabric for quilting that I will do one day when my sewing/quilting skills are better.  My latest is crochet with wire & beads and jewellery making. I bought a few hundred dollars of beads, books and supplies etc. I drool over these japanese crocheting with wire books on ebay. I put a link to one of them. I  just started to do some crocheting with wire & beads. I made a spiral bead and wire crochet necklace. My hands & arms started acting up so I had to stop. I bought support gloves from mary maxim's so I have to see if it helps.  I bought the stuff  planning on doing craft shows for extra money. I love natural stones.  Crocheting with wire excites me! You know the feeling when you just love looking at the books and get inspired etc.

Our kids usually wake us up a few times a night so after a few years we are dead in the evenings. It is getting better.  My kids have to be involved in everything I do except housework lol!  Since the kids are in school part time and life is getting sorted. I plan on scheduling time for crafts etc. Time for my dh to play in the workshop also :) He loves woodworking but has the same problem of lack of time.  Today he can because we are going to a kids birthday party. If can't tell anyone that he has time or everyone has things to have him do or pop by for a visit. The kids have to be out of my hair for beading.  I need to start doing it, specially since I promised to teach making earrings to my moms group in November! Probably have $2000 in craft stuff stashed away over the years.   My dh gets me craft items for presents. I am slowly rearranging and clearly out the house so I can do more things. I am making an art centre for my daughter. She can spend hours creating. My son likes to creat on everything but paper lol!  Then we can all do it together. As I write this, he coloured with markers on the magna doodle and complained that the colours wouldn't erase!

We have a constant flow of stuff given to us with little storage so I am always rearranging and giving things away. I have 5 different piles of toys etc to give away to different playgroups/charitys etc.   So I have spend time changing over clothes, rearranging etc and then spend that same time crafting.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Japanese-Artists-Crochet-Silver-Wire-Jewelry- Patterns_W0QQitemZ300146824779QQihZ020QQcategoryZ146307QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

My Family's Interests
  • Sun, Sep 23 2007 9:30 PM In reply to

Dear Rolo, Are yo a librarian?  (You wrote that handling books is a big part of your job!)  Boy!  would I ever like that job!  Educating others, being able to read reviews to see what to order -- it sounds heavenly.  Of coursem there's office politics everywhere ....

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Mon, Sep 24 2007 7:06 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

I work in a library as a clerk.  It is a great job and I have a great boss too.  We have many public access computers--they are used steadily from open to close, especially when the kids get out of school at 3pm!  All our public access technology is provided by the Bill and Melissa Gates Foundation and updated/replaced regularly.  Here is a link to the website page on the Library Iniative and it is full of interesting facts aobut the millions that the Gates Foundation gives away:

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/UnitedStates/USLibraryProgram/ 

It is interesting to be able to glance through the new books when they are delivered but to be truthful, like any other busy person, it is very difficult to find time to read, even for library employees--of course the big advantage is the constant flow of books across the circulation desk so when one decides to grab a book to take home there is no wondering about a title--we have a steady stream of them in our minds.  For the most past, our patrons are a lovely group, although, as with any customer service position, when interacting face to face with the public we encounter our fair share of difficulties.  Many will find it surprising, but that is the reality of it.

One of the best parts of my job is that is less than 1 mile from my home! 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Mon, Sep 24 2007 8:29 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Yep,Carol, I am over here where I feel warm and cozy, lol. I have missed reading your posts as well.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us