Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Reader's question: 12 year old needs help

Last post Sun, Apr 11 2010 12:29 PM by Walt34. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:43 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Reader's question: 12 year old needs help

I'm almost 13, I'm a very serious dancer and I love horseback riding and I have a horse. I am very, very busy. I really need to earn some money for a third horseback riding lesson. But I have six ballet classes a week! I really don't wanna go do something that is like going to the top of the driveway and selling stuff. I need a real job that pays well. But I'm only 12! Please help me. I really want to take more horseback riding lessons! your answer will be very appreciated. THANKS A LOT!

Any ideas?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:58 AM In reply to

Re: Reader's question: 12 year old needs help

If there is a stable near her she can ask about cleaning stalls and taking care of the horses (brushing, feeding) in exchange for lessons. Just an idea, and maybe not one that a twelve year old girl would like, lol.
  • Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:24 PM In reply to

Offering to help clean stables and take care of the horses is an excellent idea!

Another option would be to see if she can help out in the studio she uses for her dance lessons to reduce her fees, then take that savings to apply to more horseback riding.

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Fri, Mar 26 2010 3:01 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

mommatothree:
    Another option would be to see if she can help out in the studio she uses for her dance lessons to reduce her fees, then take that savings to apply to more horseback riding.
    I agree.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Sat, Mar 27 2010 12:37 PM In reply to

I don't know how much money a thoughtful and well-written blog on horses for teens and pre-teens (and adults new to riding)  would bring in, but it's definitely worth a try and requires little or no investment of money. Can you market garage-sale goodies or teen status items to Amazon or eBay through your parents' account?   If you have good eyesight and can work on a ladder, washing windows for neighborhood businesses might get you some money.  If you can sit a horse, a ladder should be no trouble to you.  

• Tue, Mar 30 2010 4:32 PM In reply to

• slms899
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Posts 1

I would recommend, if you like little kids, getting your babysitting safety certificate (many hospitals/ymca's/churches offer the class) and advertise your availability to watch kids on the weekends/evenings. Given your schedule I would go to the Dollar Store and get a "check book" calendar to keep your classes, performances, and babysitting gigs in order. When I was your age I made enough money my first year baby sitting to afford a mini scooter for my 14th birthday ($3000) among other things I bought throughout the year.

• Sat, Apr 10 2010 1:14 PM In reply to

• manddmom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Posts 1

If you are a responsible person, I would recommend pet sitting.  My daughter made a decent wage taking care of the neighbor's pets while they were out of town.  And, since she did such a good job, she was recomended to other neighbors helping her "business" grow!

• Sun, Apr 11 2010 12:29 PM In reply to

• Walt34
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 17 2007
    • WV eastern panhandle
    • Posts 1,406

At that age my gig was lawn mowing and snow shoveling.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Money Management
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us