Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

At Home Reading Program, Advice or Ideas??

Last post Mon, Sep 27 2010 1:15 PM by Tideal. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 15 2010 8:25 PM

At Home Reading Program, Advice or Ideas??

I thought maybe those of you that homeschool could help me out a bit here . . .

My DS, currently in Kindergarten, has dealt with some delays, including a quite severe speech delay that requires ongoing therapy.  That speech delay is also impacting his learning abilities, specifically in reading (and writing but that's an issue with different challenges, for a different post!).

He's making progress and we have decided to definitely move him forward to 1st grade but I think we need to do more with him at home.  We do read with him a lot already and he brings leveled readers home as part of a school reading program.  It's going well but I'd like to work with him myself with additional leveled readers and or other materials in an effort to help him catch up a bit and move forward.

I'm just not sure where or what to look for.  I've found, but haven't bought, sets of leveled readers and I have a couple of sight word reader sets already.  They are good but I guess I'm looking for something more structured than just reading together.  He's becoming resistant at times, I think it feels too much like a drill or work or whatever for him.

So if any of you have suggestions for curriculum or books or workbooks or other materials that might be helpful (and don't cost a fortune of course!!) I'd be very grateful.  I think I just need a new approach.  I have looked into reading programs held at tutoring places but they don't seem to be the right fit for what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

• Mon, Mar 15 2010 10:23 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: At Home Reading Program, Advice or Ideas??

what about mixing workbooks with fun things that he enjoys? subjects he likes reading or what about reading computer games?  they are cheap and you can find some online like dr seuss.  they normally have a mix games, abc's, phonics, spelling etc.   dd had a blues clues game that you found words, created books etc so it was fun.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Mar 15 2010 10:51 PM In reply to

This is a great opportunity to make use of the public library. Encourage him to choose books in which he is interested. Take turns reading pages. Let him dictate a story to you which you write in large print on the even pages. Have him illustrate the odd pages to match the short words and sentences. Then have him read "his" book. AM
  • Mon, Mar 15 2010 11:39 PM In reply to

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann

Many libraries have it.  Our 4th child (3 1/2) is now using it.  Each of their siblings took about 1 1/2 years to go through it as we self paced it according to their personalities.  Each were accomplished readerswhen they were 5 - 5 1/2 and have been avid readers ever since.

This book is very effective and we used it for about 15 mintues per day instead of the recommended 20-30 minutes.  Our children found it fun and challenging.

We picked up our copy for a couple of dollars at a homeschool book swap, but even at the new $20 price, it is well worth it.

I am a Personal Financial Coach helping individuals across the country save money, get out of debt, and live financially free without selling insurance, investments, or fancy software. Just plain 'ole common sense principles that work.
  • Tue, Mar 16 2010 12:15 AM In reply to

Good job for being proactive and working with him at home in addition to what he's already doing at school.

What is he currently using for reading curriculum at school?  I'm assuming Open Court, it's the most popular with most schools.  Look to see if your library has readers you can check out by Modern Curriculum Press or if they have "Bob" readers, both are really good.  My son is 6 (almost 7), has neurodevelopmental delays and his reading is delayed quite a bit.  You are right if you try and force the issue or make it a "chore" kids will resist and won't work at it with you. 

Let us know what you end up doing, best to you and I hope you find what works best for your son quickly.

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Mar 16 2010 1:49 AM In reply to

Starfall.com has some reading/phonics games.  My kids loved it and even though they are older will still pop over there upon occasion.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Tue, Mar 16 2010 6:37 AM In reply to

You don't mention which curriculum your son's school uses, and I've been out of the teaching profession for a few years now. However, I am a big phonics-based learning fan as opposed to a whole-language approach.

If you find books that primarily focus on the sounds letters make as opposed to what the whole word is, I've noticed children end up reading faster and more fluently. Of course, there are some words in the English language that can't be sounded out, and those will be "sight words." (For example, the word "eight" can't really be sounded out.)

jennylyn:
    He's becoming resistant at times, I think it feels too much like a drill or work or whatever for him.

Make reading a part of his everyday life, not "schoolwork" whenever possible. If you go to the store with him, have him read labels and signs with you. Have him help with reading recipes and newspaper comics. Just incorporate reading into his everyday routine, and perhaps it won't be such a chore. Good luck!

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Mar 16 2010 10:43 AM In reply to

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Each and every one of you offered something useful to me and I so appreciate it.  You know what it's like when you hit a wall . . . and that's where we've been lately.

So many great ideas here and I can't wait to dig into them.  Thanks again!

• Tue, Mar 16 2010 3:52 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I am using The Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading by Jessie Wise. It is put out by Peacehill Press. It is similar to Teach Your Kids to Read in 100 Easy Lessons but I prefer the order of the letters in this one. It does not include readers but it might be a good source to reteach areas your child is struggling with. The book does have sentences for use with the lessons and many phonetic readers on the market go well with this book.

Letter of the Week Curriculum is an online resource for preschool and kindergarten level children who are learning to read. Maybe this site may help you to review sounds. 

The Bob Books are good phonetic readers that are packaged in levels. The cost can run up if you buy all the sets though. 

Other readers may be available through your local library or even at stores that sell second hand books.

There are some printable books that may work as well. Hubbard's Cupboard is one of them.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:20 AM In reply to

• julian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 22 2010
    • Posts 1

A hint from the ADHD newsgroup.  Compile a list of the reading/spelling words that your child has trouble with.  Bring it out with a family game -- Sorry, for an example.  After each player rolls or pops or whatever, have him or her draw a card.  He or she must read or spell the word before a move.  The pain is spread; your homeschooler gets a chance to see what strategies other people use; and his own chore becomes less burdensome.  Not a strategy, but a tactic . . .

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us