Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Fridge and Freezer Cleaning

Last post 06-25-2011 3:22 PM by gayla50. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-14-2010 11:24 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Fridge and Freezer Cleaning

How often do you completely clean out the fridge and freezer and clean the interiors? What do you use to clean them?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-14-2010 12:10 PM In reply to

Re: Fridge and Freezer Cleaning

I clean my fridge weekly and the only freezer I have is the top of the fridge so it only gets cleaned monthly I vaccum pack the freezer and have to be careful how to repack after cleaning so everything fits properly.

• 03-14-2010 12:21 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Linda Cecil:
    the only freezer I have is the top of the fridge

That makes it difficult to store foods. Does vaccum packing help to store a lot more in there?

• 03-14-2010 2:00 PM In reply to

I don't have a set schedule for cleaning my fridge. I do it whenever I see that it needs to be done. I'll clean it with vinegar or plain water.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 03-14-2010 7:48 PM In reply to

I do like Stacie and clean when it looks like it needs it.  I do wipe it out when there is a spill so it doesn't really get too dirty between cleanings.  I use Dawn dish soap, just like I'm going to wash dishes, fill up the sink and add a squirt and wash out the interior, taking out whatever will pull out and washing.

• 03-14-2010 8:46 PM In reply to

I usually wipe the surfaces each time I put groceries away. Spills get wiped up when I notice them by using dish soap. Freezer part gets re-arranged when supplies become low and I transfer frozen meats, vegs and Ice Cream from my small chest type Deep Freezer. That one is kept out in the garage. I only defrost and clean it once a year. I am short and have to almost get into it to reach the bottom. I wish they came with a drain. The last time we got a meat order I solved my short arm problem by putting cardboard boxes upside down of floor of freezer, separating order into grocery bags of same meats...hamburger, roasts, steaks. Also do same with small items that may fall to corners of freezer it is much easier to reach everything. With just the two of us I can afford the space boxes take up. As long as family come for suppers, birthdays I'll never get rid of my freezer it has been such a saver.

• 03-15-2010 8:01 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I wipe spills when needed and take everything out for a good cleaning once  a month. I only do the chest freezer once a year when we defrost it.

I use water and baking soda for the cleaning.

• 03-15-2010 10:56 AM In reply to

Are you talking about the freezer in the fridge or a deep freezer ?

My deep freezer has never been cleaned or defrosted. However........on Friday that will change. How did I get so lucky ? Well, I made friends with people over the years including at the library.  One of these people is really into organizing things and people. She came over to my house one afternoon with her dh. The next thing I knew she had announced that my kitchen and pantry needed to be organized.

On Friday she is coming over to do something with the freezer. Since I know a good thing when I see it, I am going to do some serious cooking and baking. I am going to fix a cheddar, sausage, and apple quiche for our lunch. I'll either bake a cake or cookies.

The fridge ? I try to look  pitiful and hope that my cleaning woman will clean it for me. Sometimes it does work......especially when she wants an excuse to hear something someone is trying to sell me. She did this the day the exterminator came over the first day before the baby Copperhead snake got in the house. You have to understand my cleaner......she's devoted to me plus she's got as much curiousity about things as a normal kitty cat. Somehow in our working relationship it became apparent that I was the one who had to kill the mice or get rid of them plus I had to deal with getting rid of snakes that came into the house.

So......you might describe me as being very good at using a fly swatter or the handle of a cane to get rid of varmits and critters, but I'm terrible at actually cleaning things with a sponge or Swiffer.

WinkI'm much better at doing things than I let on. I keep a lot of paper towels in the house and I buy them on sale.

• 03-15-2010 12:59 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Virginia Needlewoman:
    Are you talking about the freezer in the fridge or a deep freezer ?

It doesn't matter. You can answer for either or both.

• 06-05-2011 5:30 PM In reply to

• mum2four
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-26-2009
    • So. California
    • Posts 332

I will wipe the shelves in the fridge...when ever I see something needs to be wiped down.  Since I have been recieving my CSA, every 2 weeks, I seem to deep clean the fridge right before the pick up date.  The two freezers I deep clean every 6 months or so.

themusingsofavintageheart.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us