Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cat litter

Last post Sun, Mar 14 2010 9:51 PM by 2ndGenGranola. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 13 2010 3:10 PM

Cat litter

I know there are many cat lovers on here so I have a question. What kind of litter does everyone use? Scoop or regular? I've been using scoop for quite awhile now as it is easier but seems to go so fast and is a bit expensive.  I was thinking of switching back to regular. I've got 5 cats (indoors only) so I go thru it quickly.  I read in a frugal book to line newspaper on bottom(to absorb), then add regular litter. Anyone do that? Thanks!

Trying to Save in Pennsylvania
  • Sat, Mar 13 2010 3:21 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Re: Cat litter

Hi ... I use scooping litter (yellow box) only, for multi-cat - have two. I have used newspaper on bottom with litter over the top, seems to help with odors better and does make cleaning easier. I do not like clay-type litters, too dusty for my asthma cat, so vet suggested this one and has worked great for us both. Boy ... five cat's would sure be a hand full !

• Sat, Mar 13 2010 3:29 PM In reply to

I don't like litter that scoops. I buy Fresh Step, but you can get "plain" litter and a box of store brand baking soda to add to the litter pans.

The way the cat rescues tell people who adopt kitties is to try to give each cat its own litter box.

I've been told that WM has cheap litter. I buy mine at either Food Lion or at Harris Teeter.

Adding baking soda helps with odors.

If I had lots of cats, I probably would use cheaper litter, but I have just one very spoiled little cat. She has a litter box on both floors of the house.

• Sat, Mar 13 2010 3:35 PM In reply to

DH uses scoop for the three boxes which now serve the two inside cats. I'll mention to him about the newspaper liner possibility. AM
  • Sat, Mar 13 2010 5:12 PM In reply to

Regular litter is cheaper.  We use scoop, but I've debated going to regular litter.  If I did, after reading lots of suggestions here and on other sites, this is what I would do.  I would first make sure the litter box is very clean and then place the box into a large garbage bag.  With the garbage bag in place, I would lay down a layer of newspaper (if I had any, which is actually rare for me), and then put down the litter and mix in some baking soda.  When it was time to change the litter, I would just have to pull the garbage off (carefully, of course!) and that would have all the litter contained and the box wouldn't need any cleaning.  Basically a garbage bag is acting as a liner, but I find them to be stronger than the actual "cat box liners".  Those things seem wimpy to me.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sun, Mar 14 2010 7:18 PM In reply to

I use the scoop litter, but if I had that many cats and went through it as fast as it sounds like you do I'd probably switch to regular.  As it is, scoop litter is easier for me, and the kind I buy doesn't stink like the regular kind I tried.  I only have one cat.

• Sun, Mar 14 2010 9:51 PM In reply to

I have 4 cats and use cheap litter -- either Walmart or Tidy Cat (I think it is)from Sam's.  We will put a trash bag on the bottom then fill it.  We just pull it out to change.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us