Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Stocking up now

Last post 10-09-2007 5:06 PM by Amy B. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (36 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-19-2007 12:37 AM

Stocking up now

someone had a good point in predictions, gas and energy have gone up the last three winters, and groceries then, of course, follow due to increased costs.  Anyone doing any stocking for winter because of this.

We have a ten for ten sale this week, I might buy several stock-up items.  Plus this month I have extra money now from the Farmer's Market, should I invest a few hundred in staples for the winter?  

Tracy 

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• 09-19-2007 7:22 AM In reply to

Re: Stocking up now

I'm going to buy 50 pounds of flour to go into the freezer, in addition to the 50# or so I already have in #10 cans.  I heard on the news last week that wheat was going up as Canada's harvest was so much smaller due to (weather?) damage.  I always begin buying baking supplies for the holidays in the fall anyway, but this is a little earlier than usual for me.

One of our stores has been running 10 or so "rush hour" specials, from 4:00 to 7:00 each day and this week two of the items are 18-oz. jars of p.b. and 32-oz. jars of grape jelly for $0.88 each - I'm going to get those and get them into my storage pantry.

My two most expensive baking items are butter and nuts - if I could only find them on the cheap!  Butter has gone up to nearly $3.00 a pound here, but nuts are about the same as last year - tho still not cheap.  Hard to believe, but in a few weeks it'll be time to bake fruitcakes...where does the time go?

I would stock up on everything that you can, Tracy.  Especially if you intend to continue your baking booth thru the holidays.  Liz 

• 09-19-2007 8:19 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I am working on inventories and master lists with stocking up in mind. It can't hurt to have food on hand where you can meal plan from your own pantry and replenish at the lowest prices you can find.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 09-19-2007 8:26 AM In reply to

Tracy,

I am also an advocate of stocking up for winter.  I stock my staples first, baking supplies.  Then dairy, then boxed and canned, then freezer.  I always leave room in the budget for fresh.  I dont cook for crowds as much as I used to but do know what we use in a year here.  So if there are good 10/10 sales for anything I need I will buy enough for a year.  If we run into a great sale we will stock up to a certain money amount. 

Last night Brian stopped by Food Lion on his way home, they had a clearance sale of Little Debbies 10 cents a box.  He bought all 50 boxes for $5!  They do not expire until next spring, but I will break down the boxes and freeze the individual packages for his lunches.  I wont have to bake for months, and it is quite a variety.  He said he talked to the lady stocking them and she said they would not fit on the shelves and they only order these every 6 weeks.  She asked the manager if he wanted to store them and he said no, mark them down.  She was marking them for 50 cents a box but when Brian offered to take them all she agreed to 10 cents a box.

They also had marked down rolled boneless pork roasts.  We have 4 int he freezer, but he felt we could can a few of them.  So he bought 30 pounds for $19.56( 7 roasts ), not bad.  Some I want to grind into burger, a couple I will cut into stew meat and one or two I will cut into mock pork chops. 

I say get all you can now, it will certainly save you in the end.  ; ) 

• 09-19-2007 8:45 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Brianschef:
    I stock my staples first, baking supplies.  Then dairy, then boxed and canned, then freezer.  I always leave room in the budget for fresh.  I dont cook for crowds as much as I used to but do know what we use in a year here.  So if there are good 10/10 sales for anything I need I will buy enough for a year.  If we run into a great sale we will stock up to a certain money amount. 

Since I am working on food storage and stocking, thanks. This was a great tip!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 09-19-2007 8:52 AM In reply to

Dear Tracy, I would certainly use your profit above your contributoin for DawnLynn's care, for winter supplies.  Since baking goods will be on sale from Thzanksgiving through ChristmAS, I would sAve soome money for buying those goods at that time. But stock up now for enough baking goods to last to ZThanksgiving, plus general canned & frozen goods (or goods that you can preserve by freezinhg,canning, or dzrying).

Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 09-19-2007 10:21 AM In reply to

My siblings and I grew up in a home where stocking up for winter was the norm. Every year I remember the trip to the canned and dry goods store, where my parents bought case lots of green bean, peas, corn, tomatoes, etc. They also bought large bags of dried beans, rice, flour, sugar and other baking supplies. They also always grew a large garden and mom canned all that she could from the garden. She also canned whole chickens that we raised. Most people now days do not have the acreage to grow a garden let alone raise any livestock or poultry, including me. So each year I try to stock up on the canned and dry goods.

• 09-19-2007 10:35 AM In reply to

I don't know about the US but here the case lot sales are starting. I discover one of my local grocery stores had one with name brand products(flyer was not in the local paper) so I stocked up on a case each heinz baked beans, campbells cream of mushroom soup, big box of goldfish crackers, and the best buy 24 rolls (or 12 dble rolls)  of royale tiolet paper for $4.98 each. I am going back for more tp and get some canned corn. We don't use that much canned stuff so I don't need a lot but the extra is good for all the foodbank requests too.
    My Family's Interests
  • 09-19-2007 10:37 AM In reply to

Excerpt from Brian's chef post.

"They also had marked down rolled boneless pork roasts.  We have 4 int he freezer, but he felt we could can a few of them.  So he bought 30 pounds for $19.56( 7 roasts ), not bad.  Some I want to grind into burger, a couple I will cut into stew meat and one or two I will cut into mock pork chops."

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Pork butts are my favorite frugal meat. They make great hamburger which we use in place of beef because they are so cheap and so good. We also make our own Italian and breakfast sausage. Every now and then I pick up a couple of Italian and breakfast sausage seasoning packs from our local mom and pop supermarket for about $4 a pack (makes 25 pounds of sausage). Some of the large supermarkets, like mine, no longer make their own sausage and will not have the seasoning packs butt most of the independents still do. I also like to use pork butts to fix up like pork chops. I like to bread mine, fry until brown in a little oil and then place in a covered roasting pan with cream of chicken soup and bake in the oven for about an hour and a half or so at 300F. I then take the left over oil in the pan that I fried them in and make a little country gravy and then add the drippings from the roasting pan make up some mashed potatoes and we're on our way. I haven't made stew from pork butts but I'm sure that works great. I have made enchiladas with pork butts though. Yummy! I use the leftover butt roast and shred the meat and add a little of the leftover gravy to make the meat a little goopy and then roll them up with a little cheese in corn tortillas and then cover with my special enchilada sauce and cheese and then bake in the oven. Very easy and way good. I bet you have already tried these things but once someone mentions pork butts my stomcah starts to grumble and I start thinking about all the possibilities.

Author of Confessions of a Butcher- eat steak on a hamburger budget and save$$$ Available at http://www.arkessentials.com. Free articles & recipes at http://www.all-about-meat.com
  • 09-19-2007 10:43 AM In reply to

john smith:
    I bet you have already tried these things but once someone mentions pork butts my stomcah starts to grumble and I start thinking about all the possibilities.

LOL  I love to hear about how others use up their stock, and your reminders and suggestions will go into my notes for ideas.  I love the mock chops and gravy with mashed potatoes, that could easily become a staple in our house!  : )  We also have a nice Bradley Smoker so plan on doing a couple of them with that.  I see this week turkeys are on sale for 78 cents a pound, good buy here.  So we will be smoking probably 4 or 5 of those also.  ; )

Page 1 of 4 (36 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us