Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Homemade Hot Pockets ?

Last post Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:51 PM by bwallace. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 26 2010 12:11 PM

Homemade Hot Pockets ?

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade hot pockets ?

I don't like them, but the rest of you seem to have budget breakers aka teenagers who adore them. Wouldn't it be nice if someone could find an easy and cheap recipe for homemade hot pockets ?

I can completely relate to feeding bottomless pits aka teenagers. I had a brother who drove Mom's food budget crazy. You have no idea how happy she was when she put me to work baking breads for the family so that she had extra $$$ for other food. Mom liked to serve us the upscale breads and she could afford them if I made them for us plus it was healthier.

• Fri, Feb 26 2010 12:32 PM In reply to

Re: Homemade Hot Pockets ?

VNW, I don't have a recipe for the hot pockets but if you will go down to Mierly Moms site she has something equlivent to hot pockets she also has many frugal recipes and a pretty wide variety. Teenagers aren't the only ones who like them I like them also especially the cheese,chicken and brocclli. I was just wondering how to make the uncrustables they are also expensive.

• Fri, Feb 26 2010 12:39 PM In reply to

• tooney58
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 25 2007
    • North Carolina
    • Posts 180

I think there's a recipe in one of the Make Your Own Groceries books.

Linda

• Fri, Feb 26 2010 2:26 PM In reply to

Get a can of large biscuits (like the Grands) and roll them out 1 at a time to about a pie size.  Put whatever filling you want in 1/2 of it and fold it over.  Mash the edges with a fork.  Cook according to biscuit directions on can. 

You can use roast, beans, chicken, taco meat, scrambles eggs...

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Sat, Feb 27 2010 9:54 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

I make something similar to calzones with pizza toppings, but with my own bread.  I like the biscuit idea, these would be faster to make.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Sat, Feb 27 2010 11:35 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have made those from  Make your own groceries  but what I do know is make up Angel Biscuit and after the proof I make  about  12 hot pockets 

I make a pizza one with mini pepperoni that is quiet good

a hamburger / cheese burger one  the kids like

and Chicken and cheese and turkey one my Dil came up she put down chicken or turkey stuffing mix then left over potatoes and adds jellied cranberry

breakfast one seems to led it self to these  .. I done alot of them  eggs cheese potatoes and bacon is good but sausage and a small amount of gravey ...

I done a few that have egg sausage and cheese .

my bil likes one with turkey sausage some swiss and eggs ....

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:35 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... here are two recipes that I use - fill with just veggie or use chicken instead of beef. Also, one girl loves canned tuna and cheese filled pockets. 

Homemade "Pockets"
    Make a batch of homemade pizza dough, cut into circles (about 5" round), a spoonful or not of sauce, a layer of fillings, fold dough over and seal up. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Cool, wrap each one iin plastic wrap and freeze. Put in a lunchbox frozen, should thaw by lunch.

Meat Turnovers - bisquick-type mix

Heat oven to 400 degrees. The filling is already cooked so just baking and browning the dough.   

Filling: 1/2 pound ground beef, 1/4 cup onion, 2tbs Bisquick (or flour), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 cup catsup, 2 tbsp cheese. Brown meat and onion, then stir in other ingredients and heat through, keep warm.

Dough: 1 1/2 cup Bisquick, 1/3 cup water. Stir to a soft dough, make ball and knead 5 times on floured (or Bisquick) covered board. Roll out to 12 inch square; cut into 4 6-inch squares. Place squares on ungreased baking sheet, spoon 1/3 cup filling on each. Fold dough over to make triangles, press edges with fork on edges to seal. Cut slit in top for steam to vent. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until browned. Makes 4 servings.

*  (also could just roll out the biscuits from a can of biscuits into large flat circles instead of making your own dough)
  • Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:51 PM In reply to

Hi VNW, these aren't like Hot Pockets in shape but we made them recently and they seem similar: http://blog.naturalfrugality.com/?p=173 (Pizza Pockets)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us