Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Another laundry soap recipe

Last post 07-21-2010 11:15 PM by sissy. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2010 7:39 AM

Another laundry soap recipe

I don't know if this one has been posted before, but this was on one of the news programs the other day.I haven't got a chance to try it yet, but it looks pretty easy.

1 cup baking soda

1 and 1/2 cups washing soda

1 and 1/2 cups borax

1/2 cup liquid soap- Ivory

2 cups white vinegar

Start with liquid soap, add in dry ingredients.

Add small amounts of vinegar and stir until all has been added.The mixture will change from a frothy foam to a powder.

Stir on and off for about 1/2 an hour , until it is more powderlike than foam

Store in a sealed container, use 1/2 cup for lg. load.

Donna

• 02-19-2010 12:38 AM In reply to

Re: Another laundry soap recipe

It does sound easy.

• 02-19-2010 3:14 PM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-07-2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

I always like trying new laundry soap recipes. If you do get a chance to make it,  I would like to hear your feedback. Smile

• 03-01-2010 12:00 PM In reply to

I finally got around to making a batch of this laundry soap this morning.I have done 3 loads with it, and I am pleased with it so far.

I didn't get it to turn completely to powder-like as it said in the instructions, but I could have miss measured something a little. I am going to keep up with the number of loads it does.It isn't as messy as the kind I made where you melt the soap shavings on the stove. 

This detergent smells very fresh and clean, I like it.

Donna

• 03-02-2010 4:03 PM In reply to

I haven't seen that one. I use a homemade powder and use vinegar for a brightener/fabric softener. I just found out an incredibly easy way to "grate" the soap. Cut a bar of soap in half (I use Ivory) and put in large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Let cool a couple minutes and break it up with your hands. Saved me about 10 minutes this morning before doing the laundry!
  • 03-02-2010 5:06 PM In reply to

I made two batches, one was using a generic citrus type dishsoap and the other using the famous grease cutting dishsoap.  Neither got really dry and flakey, but both work well.  The grease cutting one works wonderful on the auto mechanics clothing.  It was fun to make this and watch the bubbles and foam.  Even if the soap didn't work the entertainment value was worth the cost of ingredients.  The smell from the citrus dishsoap is pleasent, the grease cutting dishsoap leaves a lot to be desired in the smell department, but it works so who cares about smell for work clothes that will smell like tranny fluid in an hour anyway?

• 03-03-2010 10:04 PM In reply to

• Zeus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-07-2009
    • NE Connecticut
    • Posts 271

I'm glad to hear the results are coming in & this one works. If you like to make you're own laundry soap recipe, like I do, there's a way to save on some of the ingredients I thought I'd share. I did post this on another post, but in case you didn't see it....washing soda is found at pool supply businesses. But, they refer to it as soda ash, not washing soda. I buy a 50 lb bag, that lasts me all year for like $30. A much better buy that the small boxes sold at the grocery stores.

Also, I live on a farm, and found baking soda is sold at my local feed store in 50 lb bags for like $14. It's for ruminant animals that occasionally get upset stomachs. The baking soda is feed grade, not food grade, so I use it for house cleaning, the laundry soap recipes, etc, but not baking or cooking with.

• 03-07-2010 5:03 PM In reply to

Thanks for that information.  I've been looking for washing soda (on another thread) and  that price sounds like a good savings.

• 05-24-2010 11:05 PM In reply to

• Cathy
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 05-22-2010
    • Ohio
    • Posts 8

The recipe sounds interesting and easy to make.  I've read recently on the Internet that Ace Hardware sells washing soda.

• 07-21-2010 2:08 PM In reply to

I buy ARM & HAMMER washing soda and get it at Walmart, Krogers or Kmart.

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us