Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Fruit flies

Last post Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:43 PM by LWolfT. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 10 2010 10:09 PM

Fruit flies

I have fruit flies in the apartment. Came on a melon, I think. They are of course multiplying. I tried vinegar and a plastic bag with rotted fruit inside and holes for them to enter, but no go. Any other ideas for these very hardy insects?

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 10:24 PM In reply to

Re: Fruit flies

First, as a preventative, i wash fruits when they come in the hose to remove the fruit fly eggs. When I get them anyway, I leave the lid of my compost container ajar. When a bunch have congregated inside, I quickly snap the lid down, then take it outside. Even if I don't go all the way to the compost pile, the flies will depart when the lid is opened and not return to the house. It takes several tries, but works for me. AM
    Filed under:
  • Thu, Feb 11 2010 10:08 AM In reply to

• Jo Bo
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 23 2007
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 49

Once I get rid of the overripe fruit they usually go by themselves. Check there is no overripe fruit left hiding anywhere, lol A quick burst of fly spray will get rid of any remaining insects. Regards Jo
  • Thu, Feb 11 2010 10:29 AM In reply to

I do this all the time.  Put a teaspoon or two of yeast and vinegar in a small jar.  I use the mason small jar and I have the lid at hand.  The fruit flies fly there and sit at the rim  or go inside the jar. I wait a few hours for this to happen.   If I see 4 or 5 I quickly grab the lid and shake the jar so they drown in the liquid. Then I repeat the process one more time and usually they are gone by then.  It works for me every time. 

Carmina

• Thu, Feb 11 2010 2:42 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Seaturtle, sending you a PM. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Thu, Feb 11 2010 5:52 PM In reply to

Oh, heavens .. we've had invasions of them at work and home.  Put out small containers of vinegar and dish soap.  Don't know why they're attracted to them, but it works.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Feb 11 2010 9:07 PM In reply to

Thanks. Is it white or apple cider vinegar?

I have noticed that they are congregating around my pole bean plants as well as flying around he house. Do you think the pole bean plants are keeping them around?

• Thu, Feb 11 2010 9:39 PM In reply to

waah it fist then do what you have to do mom uses vinager at my house it works with us.

• Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:43 PM In reply to

Usually it's apple cider vinegar, but try the white if that's what you have at home.   Don't know ... possible they're hanging around the pole beans .... maybe spray a bit of soapy water (not the antibacterial stuff) on the beans ... that's supposed to help keep bugs away.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us