Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

dog food for an old dog question

Last post Thu, Feb 11 2010 5:28 PM by rondavue66. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:12 AM

dog food for an old dog question

Cinnamon is 12 yrs old and in the past year she has quit eating the Pedigree or Family Dollar Bits and Bones dog food that she has ate since we got her in 2000. She has ate Purins dog Chow in the past and won't eat that either. She now prefers tiny peices like Puppy Chow or Eukenuba puppy food.( Doesnt seem to be a dental issue.) Also, the other brands she began throwing up once a week until i switched. She has been on Puppy Chow since October, and now has thrown that up twice in as many weeks. I was thinking puppy food is too rich for her. Dh says she has GPS....Geriatic Pediatric Syndrome LOL.

Any recommendations for an old dog with a sensitive stomach and prefers smaller bites? When referring please tell me about how much $ the food is.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:27 AM In reply to

Re: dog food for an old dog question

Have you considered making your own food? 

Plain oatmeal and boiled egg in the morning -- ground meat (cooked), baked (nuked)potato, peas/carrots in the evening.  A small cube of cheese or piece of carrot for a treat. (never onions, spices or chocolate).  Rice and pumpkin are great too.

We were having issues with an older dog and this is what the trainers suggested (they have 4 huge dogs who live on this diet).   It was pretty easy to do.  When I was making a batch of meat, I would just dish some up for the kids too since it was all the basics of what we ate.  They had fun telling their friends they had "dog food" for lunch - the kids resembled shepherd's pie a little more but it was fun.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:10 PM In reply to

A friend mentioned cooked rice with cooked meat in it. But I was concerned it wouldnt agree with her tummy or get enough of the right nutrients. What about her teeth? I thought crunchy dog food was supposed to help her teeth. She'd pick the peas out..not a veggie dog even if its coated in broth. But rice, meat.....maybe oatmeal.

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:44 PM In reply to

Our dog Bailey is 12 years old, and our little dog Diego will be 10 in May. We feed them both Purina Pro Plan shredded. It comes in flavors of lamb and rice, beef and rice, and I believe chicken and rice. Both dogs really like it. The shredded part of the name means that part of the content is small and crunchy and part is soft and chewy. There is a senior blend as well.

Neither of our dogs has a sensitive stomach, but Bailey is prone to throwing up if she eats a large piece of something too fast. She eats much slower now and keeps it down nearly all the time.

We can only find Purina Pro Plan where we are at PetSmart. With a PetSmart perks card we can get it for about $35 for a 35 pound bag, which lasts us 4-5 weeks feeding 2 dogs. It may be cheaper and more available where you are.

Jill

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 1:02 PM In reply to

The cooked meat actually settled our dogs tummy -- which was why we put her on it.  For greasier meats/cheaper ground meats, I just rinsed it in my strainer.  You do need to try to con him into eating some of the veggies.  With the tummy issues, I would really try to get the oatmeal and canned pumpkin in as that helps with the "revisiting" issues. 

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 1:14 PM In reply to

Michelle I've thought about making my own pet food before but never bothered with it cause my animals seem to love my food even though it's unhealthy for them to the point should someone leave a plate of food for a few minuets it's gone either by the dog or by the cat. Here's some sites that might help

http://www.recipesource.com/misc/pet-food/dog/

http://www.barkbarkimhungry.com/

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/dog-food-recipes.html

thrift is a sign of intelligence, any fool can spend money

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17 verse 22
  • Wed, Feb 10 2010 1:30 PM In reply to

• cmouse01
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 24 2008
    • Wisconsin
    • Posts 227

I'd agree with some of the other answers.  When our dog gets an upset stomach and won't eat, we'll fry up some venison burger (very lean) and mix it with rice.  Tummy never seems to have a problem with that stuff!  Ours likes it so much that now whenever we have rice for dinner, I make sure I make up a bit extra to give him some (without the meat).

We've ony ever fed our dog Iams.  First the puppy variety (small bites) and now it's Senior. He's never had a problem with that brand.  When he does have stomach issues it's usually because he's gotten a rich treat - like a real t-bone. 20lb bag is around $17 at Target; we go through ~bag / month (he's a large dog), and usually I can get $1-4 off depending on sales (usually once a month) and coupons.

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:02 PM In reply to

I have 15 roosters butchered and in the freezer. perhaps cooking, deboning and grinding the chicken meat and mixing with rice? How much measurement do you feed your dogs? Twice a day?

The thing about homemade is the planning...I'd be making it and keeping extras fresh for the week's meals. I should have some dry food around for when I need dog food in a hurry.

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:29 PM In reply to

We also feed our 15 year old cocker spaniel Iams senior (in the purple bag) as was mentioned at around 17.99 for a 20 lb bag.  Before that, he ate Old Roy without any problems.  A few years ago, he started having stomach issues.  We switched to Iams and he's been fine ever since.

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:04 PM In reply to

How much is going to depend upon the dog and the size of the dog.  If that is your dog in the picture, I would start with 1/2 cup protein and 1 cup rice/oatmeal then adjust it as she needs.

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us