Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Help with garden containers/pots? Added question...

Last post Mon, Mar 15 2010 11:29 PM by dmc_2008. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 9 2010 2:15 PM

Help with garden containers/pots? Added question...

I have a few fairly large pots, but would like more to expand my container garden and put in a a few flowers.  The large pots are VERY expensive, so I'm looking for bargains and alternative pots.

Our house is large and we have a bit of property, so scale-wise the average-size pots get lost on my porch and deck.  Any ideas?  Liz.

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 2:25 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Help with garden containers/pots?

I've seen eclectic objects turned into planters but its tricky if you have a more traditional style. Another option is if you find a large planter you like, but not the color, you can paint it or do a faux finish. You can also stagger several medium size pots on steps or on bricks to make a large display.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Tue, Feb 9 2010 5:24 PM In reply to

In 2006 I belonged to the EarthBox forum. One of the members had Googled for directions to make copy cat boxes using those big plastic totes. I don't think I have the directions anymore as that was 2 computers ago.

Hope that helps you.

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:25 PM In reply to

VNW, what a clever idea - one I certainly wouldn't have thought of, lol.  I've seen many faux-painted objects, some looking better than others, but it did encourage me to at least paint over the labels on some 5 gallon buckets I used one year.

I guess I should ask, where's the cheapest place you all have found to buy pots and containers???  Liz.

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:28 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

TizzyLizzy:
    I guess I should ask, where's the cheapest place you all have found to buy pots and containers???

Check thrift stores and later, garage sales. I've found them at both. If you have plastic buckets, though, they really don't look bad at all once they're painted and decorated.
    Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:50 PM In reply to

Mom always said that I was good at finding inexpensive ways of doing things. I learned from a master......Mom.

I make a game of it and I look for ways to cut corners on my spending.

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 9:13 PM In reply to

cool tizzy thats what Im doing for the summer

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 10:17 PM In reply to

Chic, I just can't do the whole garden thing alone.  Dh says he'd help, but realistically, he works 10-12 hour days and neither one of us are spring chickens anymore.  I figured the containers I could keep up with better.

Pat, I'll have a look at thrift stores, but I've not seen any in the past.  I'd really like two of those gigantic ones at Walmart, but the suckers are like 40-50 bucks.  And that's the newer ones that look like stone but are some kind of foam.  I like the idea of being able to handle them myself, but, sheesh!

I do have three really long narrow box planters I bought to use on my deck raillings, but they damaged the wood underneath.  Maybe I could use them someplace else....Liz.

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:26 AM In reply to

TizzyLizzy:
    I have a few fairly large pots, but would like more to expand my container garden and put in a a few flowers.  The large pots are VERY expensive, so I'm looking for bargains and alternative pots.

I would first ask any people at church, or in the neighborhood if they know anyone with big containers they are getting rid of.  People know people & you might get a few.

Check on freecycle in your area. If you belong to freecycle, you can post a "want" for large pots.

Are there any new housing developments near you?  First thing people in a new house usually plant is trees, & those come in big pots. First find the development, then find out when their garbage days is. Go for a drive the night before. 

Free is my favorite price.

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:31 AM In reply to

TizzyLizzy:
    the newer ones that look like stone but are some kind of foam
    TizzyLizzy:
    the newer ones that look like stone but are some kind of foam
    Those are the ones that I look for and find on end of season clearance. Otherwise I wouldn't have any. Just picked up a beautiful large blue strawberry pot, not made in China, at TJ Maxx for $20.00. Have one large pot that's just about the color of a birdbath which no longer holds water. Now the birdbath serves as a pedestal for a pot of rosemary. Depending on your style preferences, there are some pieces of junk which can make lovely planters. One of my outdoor planters is a large brass cachepot which has holes in it. I've thought of building small fences to camouflage containers that don't thrill me. Also, there's making one's own hypertufa containers. And there's the possibility of making a grouping of several pots so that its impact will be big enough for the space. AM
    Filed under:
Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us