Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

On-line tax prep?

Last post Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:55 PM by TizzyLizzy. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 9 2010 2:10 PM

On-line tax prep?

We are considering doing our taxes at one of the on-line sites this year.  We've had significant problems the last two years with Turbo Tax software and we're looking for something different.

Are any of the sites better than any of the others?  We have federal plus two states, as we live in one state and work in the other - usually, that  makes a difference in whether or not we're able to use freebie sites.  What works and what hasn't?  Liz.

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 3:45 PM In reply to

Re: On-line tax prep?

We don't use online tax prep just have someone to fill ours out feel safer that way.

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 6:25 PM In reply to

I have done my sons taxes online with Turbotax the past 2 yrs and efiled and it's been good. We buy a copy of TT Home/Business and efile ours.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:11 PM In reply to

Have you researched having your taxes done by a VITA volunteer? I think VITA stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. Volunteers go through IRS-approved training to help low-income people file their taxes. I think the income cap was $49K per year.

We've had our taxes done by our local military VITA office for several years now. They don't charge us for their service, and we've been very satisfied with the results.

I can't seem to find a centralized website for VITA, but check your local yellow pages or call 411 if you think you might be interested.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:21 PM In reply to

My sister used TT online this year and seemed satisfied.  Can I ask a dumb question, though?  If you can access and use it free or nearly free online, why buy the program (like we always have)?  Is it a privacy thing or is the online version only for uncomplicated returns?  Liz

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 7:23 PM In reply to

slk2042, I've not heard of VITA.  In our area, though, there's a free service for seniors thru AARP, IIRC, but we wouldn't qualify quite yet.  I'll have a look for it, tho for the first time ever, we may be slightly above the cap...Liz.

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 8:17 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... we only live in one state/worked in one state, but I've done ours online for the past five years ... www.olt.com.  Site very easy to understand, easy to follow, cs help, $7.95 each to efile. The only site that I could find that had 'injured spouse' filing, so they were the winner! Comes down to personal preference, we no longer buy programs each year.

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 8:38 PM In reply to

TizzyLizzy:
    I'll have a look for it, tho for the first time ever, we may be slightly above the cap...Liz.

Hey there, that's a good problem to have! Big Smile

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Feb 9 2010 9:12 PM In reply to

I have to get a tax person to help me i screwed up once that is all it took and I still use one don't need to screw up again

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 9:41 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Here's another vote for olt.com. If you're under a certain AGI (I think 56K? or thereabouts?) it's free for federal. State returns are $7.95 each. Very easy to use and the customer service people were quick to help. If you think you qualify for the free federal, don't just go to olt.com - enter through the free-file area at irs.gov. 

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us