Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

2010 Challenge - 100 New Ways To Save Money?? Any ideas??

Last post Tue, Oct 2 2012 12:20 PM by JimyAdam. 223 replies.
Page 21 of 23 (224 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 12 2011 10:46 AM In reply to

Re: paper recycling

Thanks for the info.  I appreciate your taking the time.  Unfortunately living in 2000 cow, 200 people land, the nearest Trader Joe's to us is a 2.5 hour drive away, so I'm going to have to keep looking.  If you want, find out how much it would be to send envelopes by media mail to Preston, MO 65732, and I'd be happy to buy all of some of them from you, because I need some.  I no longer get much unwanted mail, so I'm short envelopes.  I keep emailing customer care directly for any company I don't want to receive stuff from, and that seems to be the most effective for getting them to take me off their mailing lists.  I also cc the FTC each time, since I want them to know that we need anti-spam legislation for paper mail.  I guess that gets the customer rep's attention LOL.   

• Thu, Apr 14 2011 1:20 AM In reply to

# 82) Today while I was pulling grass from the perimeter bed where the gooseberries & currants are growing with a handful of tulips, I pulled the intact clumps of "lawn" grass out carefully ( as opposed to the quackgrass & orchardgrass clumps), & transplanted them to an area of the lawn that needed filled in due to some digging.  I made my own "grass plugs!"

Only 18 more things & I will have "my" 100 things!

• Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:00 AM In reply to

ladykspiderclan:
    If you want, find out how much it would be to send envelopes by media mail to Preston, MO 65732, and I'd be happy to buy all of some of them from you, because I need some.  I no longer get much unwanted mail, so I'm short envelopes. 

Envelopes can't actually be sent by media mail, and sending them by parcel post would cost something like 10 dollars.  I did read about a way to make your own from scrap paper: cut a piece of cardboard to the size of the envelope you want, then cut the paper down to a square, center the cardboard template diagonally on the square, and fold up the sides around it and stick them down with glue.  Or, you can do it as shown in this video: http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Create-Your-Own-Origami-Envelope-517018989.
    My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:11 AM In reply to

We use the back side of all paper for notes, for the kids to color on, etc.   Envelopes that have been mailed and have no writing on the back I use to make lists.  They are great for the grocery list as you can put your coupons inside that you are planning on using so you don't forget them at home.   The return envelopes that some places still send I keep and use to mail other things with if they don't have an address or bar coding on them.

Roberta

• Thu, Apr 14 2011 5:07 PM In reply to

zohnerfarms:

# 82) Today while I was pulling grass from the perimeter bed where the gooseberries & currants are growing with a handful of tulips, I pulled the intact clumps of "lawn" grass out carefully ( as opposed to the quackgrass & orchardgrass clumps), & transplanted them to an area of the lawn that needed filled in due to some digging.  I made my own "grass plugs!"

We're going to be doing that, too.  The summer drought and the winter ice did a number on our lawn.  Told DH that we might as well dig out the grass that's growing in the front garden (where it doesn't belong) and plant the plugs where it does belong ...

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 2:51 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

Re: 2010 Challenge - 100 New Ways To Save Money?? Any ideas??

In my childhood I was surrounded by professional farmers (my father, my two grandfathers, neighbours...) and women with green thumbs. It took me until my 44th birthday to dare to try gardening, me being so impressed and suppressed as a child by the science and mystery of the trade. - Now, a few years later, I have a 2nd floor balcony with herbs and vegetables and, moreover, pigeons for meat and a couple of chickens for eggs... 

Start small.Use a big pot and plant some herbs in it. Put in full sun and water sparingly. As soon as you have harvested the first few sprigs, you will simply be caught: - ). So, now you have gained confidence: You didn't just make your herbs survive, they were also delicious - and it's all your work!

Continue with another big pot and seed or plant a tomato or two. Remove the "thieves" that grow between branches. Stake well. Put in full sun. Water regularly, and you will soon have ripe, wonderful tomatoes. Home-grown!

Ready for a third pot? The bigger the better. And don't forget to add NPK, one half teaspoon per squarefoot-sized container about every two weeks. This will do wonders. And if you want to make it easy on yourself, choose a perennial that will stay from year to year. Why not some strawberry plants?

Like you, I didn't know ANYTHING about gardening, but I learnt a lot by reading on the internet. About.com has a vast bank of information on gardening, also vegetable gardening and gardening in containers! There you can also find links to regional gardening advice for the U.S. - very helpful indeed!

Happy gardening! Take it one small step at the time!

• Mon, Aug 22 2011 4:06 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

I wish I had such a short and humble wish list as yours - that I could pay for it with the money that I find on the gound! Wink Wow, DO I have to cross out things from my list..........................

• Sun, Sep 4 2011 3:01 AM In reply to

#83 - Saved larger yogurt & cottage cheese containers along with sour cream containers to freeze blocks of ice.  I have been using them to chill down the summer squash I am freezing after it is blanched.  I know a bag of ice is only around $1, but freezing my own ice saves that $1 - -so far I have used 9 containers of ice for 18 quart bags of frozen squash. All it takes is water & time.

#84 - Veggies are veggies.  Free veggies that someone is trying to give away are the best veggies.  The summer squash I am freezing was the excess from a co-worker's garden.  They planted 18 zucchini plants & 6 crookneck, not realizing how much that would produce.  

#85 - Freecycle.  Just tonight I picked up 1/2 a fruit box full of Anaheim peppers that were excess to the family that grew them.  They will go into salsa for DD.

Only 15 more until I have my own 100 ways to save! Yes

• Sat, Sep 10 2011 12:29 AM In reply to

#86 - Using a washed out peanut butter jar to hold the washed "popsicle" sticks from DH's Creamies.  We started at the beginning of the summer, & the jar is almost full now. DD is a cub scout leader, and DSIL is a scoutmaster, so these will go to the no-cost "scout" craft supplies.

#87 - Youngest DD moved into a new apt.  She brought home a broken metal iron board, and some metal pans in terrible shape, for her niece's recycling project.  Her contributions added $2.60 to my oldest granddaughter's total from the recycling.

#88 - Same DD brought me a dozen mixed pint & quart jars that were also left behind - - most are now full of dill pickles & the others will hold applesauce soon. She also brought a microwave without a plate.  The day after she brought it home & we put it in the cubby "until someone needs it", MY microwave died - so we brought it back up, put my plate it in, & put the "dead" microwave into the recycling for this month!

#89 - At work last night, someone brought a medium-sized squash, looked like a cross between a zucchini & crookneck squash, & put it on the table in the break room.  The RNs in the Women's Center where I work use one of the small tables as a "get rid of what you are tired of" table. I brought it home, & sauteed it with onions & a couple of pork chops, then poured the half bottle of spaghetti sauce left over in the fridge on top.  Made a delicious, fast dinner!  At various times, I have brought home apples, peaches, zucchini ( of course!), etc from that table where they have been dumped.  When I substitute taught in Idaho, one of the high school teacher lounges had a small table they used the same way, & from that I brought home green beans & red beets.  Helpful to both the giver & receiver, since the produce does not go to waste.

• Sat, Sep 10 2011 7:48 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

DD went to a near by church sale and brought me 14 more cases ... 

they are in several dish washers here .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 21 of 23 (224 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us