Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Thrift Stores!!!!!!!!!

Last post Fri, Jun 13 2014 5:29 PM by LCache. 432 replies.
Page 10 of 44 (433 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 28 2012 5:25 PM In reply to

Re: Thrift Stores!!!!!!!!!

On my way to an appointment I stopped by a thrift store I had seen but had not been in.  My neighbor reminded me about it the other day and wow, am I glad I went.

The store is staffed by disabled adults of varying degrees filling all the roles of a department store - cashiers, stock, helpers...it was very clean and though they didn't have 1/10 of what the SA has, it was very good quality.

I got two skirts at rock bottom prices!  One, an olive denim skirt for $1.39 and a navy cotton skirt for $2.39. I also picked up an eyelet peasant smock for $2.39.  I am so excited!!!! Again, the sizes were eyeballed but the 6 looked big and the 10 looked small. Both fit perfectly!

Do you try on clothes at the thrift stores?  I'm just a bit squeamish...

Susan in MI 

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Thu, Jun 28 2012 6:07 PM In reply to

LWolfT:
    Are you using a single layer of material for the triangles (with a hem) or a double layer of material?

I am using a double layer of material, hand sewn with a 1/4" seam, turned, then quilted along the 2 outer edges. The "top" of the banner is a half width bias seam binding.  I chose to use white, because that is what I already had in my stash. I used 3 different patterns in each banner. In the red, I have a red & white western print, a 1/4" gingham, and a solid red.  In the blue, I used a small amount of 1" blue gingham(enough for 2 triangles), a blue & white striped shirt from a yard sale, & a solid blue shirt with a defect that was DH's. In both banners, I had more of the solid colors than the pattern, so I alternated solid color triangles with the patterns.

I put more work into them than the "inspiration photo" one, but I expect to use them together for Independence Day, for Pioneer Day (I do live in Utah), & July birthdays,  Separately, they can be used for even more occasions.

• Thu, Jun 28 2012 6:31 PM In reply to

zohnerfarms:

LWolfT:
    Are you using a single layer of material for the triangles (with a hem) or a double layer of material?

I am using a double layer of material, hand sewn with a 1/4" seam, turned, then quilted along the 2 outer edges. The "top" of the banner is a half width bias seam binding.  I chose to use white, because that is what I already had in my stash. I used 3 different patterns in each banner. In the red, I have a red & white western print, a 1/4" gingham, and a solid red.  In the blue, I used a small amount of 1" blue gingham(enough for 2 triangles), a blue & white striped shirt from a yard sale, & a solid blue shirt with a defect that was DH's. In both banners, I had more of the solid colors than the pattern, so I alternated solid color triangles with the patterns.

I put more work into them than the "inspiration photo" one, but I expect to use them together for Independence Day, for Pioneer Day (I do live in Utah), & July birthdays,  Separately, they can be used for even more occasions.

Sounds very nice, and the double layer will defintely help it stand up to many years of use.  I like your idea of using bias tape ... I'm always on the lookout for uses (I have a bunch of it from my DM's sewing stash.)

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Jun 28 2012 8:26 PM In reply to

Zohner, the red will work for both Christmas and Valentines day.  If you had a green one you could use it with the red for Christmas and on it's own for St. Patricks day, or with the blue for Easter. 
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 2:14 PM In reply to

Dh was parked at an auto parts store this weekend picking up a part for my car. Across the parking lot was a thrift store...i couldnt resist.

Got 2 nice summer dresses for $4 a piece, one I plan on wearing to ds' wedding. I also got a few books for .50 each, one of which i traded in to Amazon.com for $1.50! I just tripled my money on that one!

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 2:32 PM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:
    I also got a few books for .50 each, one of which i traded in to Amazon.com for $1.50! I just tripled my money on that one!

Way to go!  

I bought two 8x10 frames at a local thrift store for the double mats in them.  I am framing a quote as a Christmas present for each of our children, & although I have nice frames, I only had one double mat.  The owner gave me a good deal on them, so I took them home, removed the mats, & took them back that afternoon, so she can sell the frames again.  I figured since she gave me a good deal, I would return the favor.  Worked well for both of us.  Now I only need to ffind one more double mat. 

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 2:48 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I did some thrift shopping yesterday. I got the little one some shirts and shorts for $2 a piece and one shirt for $1. Myself, a shirt and short set for $4 and husband a pair of work shorts for $2.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 7:03 PM In reply to

I checked out a thrift store looking for glass cloches or canning jars today.  I found neither, but I did find 2 sets of English muffin rings, for which I have been looking forever! 

One box had 4 rings, but the other only had 2.  Both boxes were marked $1. I looked around on the shelf, & found one more ring loose on the shelf.  At the cashier, I mentioned that one of the boxes had only 3 rings in it, & she took a quarter off the price!

Yippee Skippee!

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 9:22 PM In reply to

Z ... I just learned something.   Never knew there was such a thing as an English muffin ring.   (don't know why: I've heard of pancake and egg rings) Wink

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Tue, Jul 17 2012 9:25 PM In reply to

LWolfT:
    Z ... I just learned something.   Never knew there was such a thing as an English muffin ring. 

I also expect to use them for GF crumpets!

Page 10 of 44 (433 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us