Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Do you use other than the typically suggested recycling ideas? Please share.

Last post 11-09-2011 10:37 AM by peachyplum. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2011 11:10 PM In reply to

Re: Do you use other than the typically suggested recycling ideas? Please share.

Any new ideas for recycling?  today, i bought ground beef on markdown. I made some into patties for burgers. I cut up the wax paper bags from the cereal boxes , used it to layer between the burger patties.  I also use them when making cookies or dipping pretzels in chocolate to let them cool or the chocolate dry.

Other ideas, new or old. Lets share them, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-19-2011 11:26 PM In reply to

Re: Do you use other than the typically suggested recycling ideas? Please share.

I say what ann merie says in the first e-mail.

• 02-19-2011 11:44 PM In reply to

The waxed paper liners and "foil" chip bags can be re-used as containers because they can be heat-sealed by a FoodSaver. *** DH eats lots of the individual yogurts. A few holes in the bottom of the cup gives a pot for small transplants, the stage between seed-starting and setting out into the garden. Empty milk jugs are used as mini greenhouses for seed-starting.  AM

• 02-20-2011 7:56 AM In reply to

Papertowel cardboard centers go to DD to play with.  She gets 1 about every 4-6 weeks as papertowels are used for cat/dog messes mostly or draining bacon.  She decorates them and then uses them to look at things or to yell through!

Cute jars (Aldi has exceptionally cute jars -- especially the square ones for artichoke hearts and the fruit spread roundish ones) are used for repackaging spices or homemade spice mixes.  If you can get the label off and paint the lid, they make for a great gift-giving jar.  We found that generally the lids just need to be sanded lightly, then primed, then painted.  We use spray primer and spray paint; a little goes a long way.  We will also use them as change jars or to hold other small objects.

I have a bag full of wax cereal bags; in fact, I have so many right now and have not needed them much that I've stopped collecting them for a moment.

We have these GINORMOUS garbage bags we use on the deep cat box and even though we can't find a smaller bag to work we don't even need the top half of the bag.  So now we cut it off and save it so DD can do art projects on top of the bag.  When we can no longer use it for that, just gather and throw away.

My plastic bags from the grocery store are saved and given to a food pantry.  I prefer to use my reusable bags, but they always wrap meat in the plastic ones in case of messes and I appreciate that.  There is rarely a mess so I just save the bags until I have enough to drop off at the food pantry.  I heard there may soon be a plastic bag tax; if that happens I'll stop using them altogether and just put my meats in a lined reusable bag that can be cleaned.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 02-20-2011 4:46 PM In reply to

Great thread! I'm getting new ideas. I like the holiday post cards from full size cards. I've been using the fronts off holiday cards. I cut them nicely either straight off, in a shape, or with pinking shears, and glue to a plain lunch-type sac for use as gift bags (filled mainly with homemade goodies so the "rustic" look of a lunch sac seems fine). The TP tubes as plant starters have worked well for me. And I've been known to swipe bit salad greens containers from the recycling center to use as mini green houses for those starts. crushed nut shells left over from snacks or parties make good traction on a sidewalk or drive way
  • 02-20-2011 10:53 PM In reply to

I have a friend that shreds up papper it in her compost I never heard that done I also thought she was full of horse poop so had to look it up guess Im eatting crow for the week she was right you can as long as no inks or paints are on it or dyes its shreded up and you bury it what it does it ciompost back into the ground I still think that is something else but who knows what is right??????

• 02-21-2011 1:48 AM In reply to

I had a bunch of fabric (clothes) to repurpose. After sorting the good ones out for various charities, the dregs were cut into strips and woven into placemats for gifts.

The "loom" was a canvas stretcher (a wooden frame would do as well) with nails.

I probably could have made a reasonably-sized rug for kitchen or porch use.

• 02-22-2011 8:00 AM In reply to

My suggestion:  watch what you bring into the house to begin with.  If food, sundries, and whatever else you buy comes packaged in a container you can't reuse or put in the recycling bin, then don't buy it.  If your "problem items" arent' around to be a recycling problem to you, then you no longer have a problem disposing of them. 

• 02-25-2011 11:52 AM In reply to

Anna Marie:
    DH eats lots of the individual yogurts. A few holes in the bottom of the cup gives a pot for small transplants

Great idea - I am going to do that this year!  Mine always outgrow the tiny pot before the weather is warmed enough for them to survive in the garden.

• 03-22-2011 5:52 PM In reply to

Hardly a major idea here, but one I have used. Had several lipsticks used down to brush only level. Took a box in which checks had come, marked a grid on top spaced to hold tubes upright, cut an "X" everywhere I wanted to store a tube, discarded all tops of lipsticks and poked the tubes through the cut spaces. This tube holder sits in the bottom of a drawer where I can easily see which one I want to use.  AM

Page 2 of 3 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us