Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Homemade shampoo

Last post 01-06-2010 9:37 PM by Adam. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-29-2009 10:59 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Homemade shampoo

Question from a reader:

I'd like a recipe for affordable homemade shampoo. Does anyone have a good recipe?

Have you made or tried homemade shampoo?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 12-29-2009 11:36 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Homemade shampoo

Pat:
    Have you made or tried homemade shampoo?
    Only baking soda and I have to alternate that with commercial shampoo for washings for the best overall health and look of my hair. This is one recipe I have seen: http://www.pioneerthinking.com/shampoo1.html I am not sure how affordable this really is or how well it works. I guess it depends on hair type and the cost of shampoo.
    The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 12-29-2009 11:38 AM In reply to

Some people use nothing more than baking soda as their hair cleaner. I've tried it. It takes a while to become accustomed to it and, for me, was never quite like the real thing. I find that Suave on sale and with coupons is my preferred solution.

Filed under: ,
  • 12-29-2009 12:00 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Anna Marie:
    I find that Suave on sale and with coupons is my preferred solution.
    I can't use any of the cheap shampoos. They damage my hair. :( I have found that I can use Dove, John Frieda or Loreal alternated with baking soda for a lower overall cost. I have gotten lucky in finding really good deals a few times. I have picked up several bottles at a time for $1.99 each at the salvage stores. I need some good deals to come by again, I am running low.

• 12-29-2009 12:04 PM In reply to

I was wondering if you were still using baking soda, Brandy.

I found one VO5 shampoo...green tea smoothing....for .69 a bottle that works well. Also one Suave shampoo.....coconut for .88....that doesn't leave my hair dried out like straw.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 12-29-2009 12:15 PM In reply to

Baking soda and rinse with white vinegar (I use spray bottle with 1 oz vinegar and 15 oz water)

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 12-29-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Cinnamonhuskies:
    .that doesn't leave my hair dried out like straw.
    I wish one of those didn't damage my hair. I used to use them but had to stop.

• 12-29-2009 8:55 PM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:
    one Suave shampoo.....coconut for .88....that doesn't leave my hair dried out like straw.

That's the one I use, too!  The last time it was on sale, it was only 69 cents, so I bought 10 bottles, & have used about half my stash.

• 12-29-2009 9:19 PM In reply to

some mayo works or an egg still both are gross smelling i used the egg method once

• 01-06-2010 9:37 PM In reply to

• Adam
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-28-2009
    • New Haven, CT
    • Posts 37

My fiancee and I both use baking soda mixed with water as a shampoo and apple cider vinegar as a conditioner (only necessary every couple of days). I have short, easy hair, so anything would work for me but my fiancee says that this works better than mid-range regular shampoo for her also.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us