Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

is my cake mix too far out of date ?

Last post Tue, Dec 29 2009 8:45 PM by cheapChic. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:30 AM

• lynn
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 19 2008
    • NC
    • Posts 267

is my cake mix too far out of date ?

I am snowed in and trying to find enough stuff to make a sweet ...I have some cake mix that went out of date in Aug 2009 ..is that too old to use ? I remember seeing a post on here about not using old pancake mix and wondered if that applied to cake mix as well ...Thanks for your help .

have a blessed day ...Lynn

• Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:32 AM In reply to

Re: is my cake mix too far out of date ?

If it were me, I would use it.  Like I said though, that's just me.

• Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:45 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I don't think it is too old. I have older ones that still work. normally they are well sealed. if it doesn't smell right or a little stale, maybe don't use it or add more baking powder. depends on brand. I don't even know if mine have a date on them. betty crocker and duncan hines.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:51 AM In reply to

I've used expired cake mixes a year old and had good luck.  I just add a teaspoon of baking powder and they've raised fine.  I know there are a lot of internet rumors about dying from eating an expired product but if they were truly dangerous the company wouldn't put a label on saying "best by" but "do not consume after" date on their packages.

I have a family member who works for a big food company and he said the dates they put on food is considering food stored under bad conditions.  He told me most foods are good several months after the date on the package.

I hate throwing away good food!  But if you call the company of course they'll tell you it's no good because then you'll go and buy more. 

• Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:58 AM In reply to

The aged pancake mix was causing issues in those with a mold allergy. If you don't have a mold allergy, you should not have a problem.  Just make sure it doesn't smell stale.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Tue, Dec 22 2009 4:24 PM In reply to

simplesimone:
    But if you call the company of course they'll tell you it's no good because then you'll go and buy more. 
    \

I think it's also a liability issue for them. If you were to call and ask if it were okay, and they said yes, and you used it and got sick, you might sue them. So the customer reps are going to err on the side of caution and tell you to throw it away, even if it's still perfectly alright to use. The layman's phrase for this is the "CYA response."

If you are worried that it might not rise enough, try mixing it up and making one cupcake with it. If it rises all right, then it's okay. If not, you might want to add some baking powder.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Dec 22 2009 9:09 PM In reply to

To me thats old no its not if its like canned soup or canned meat that would be a different story the cake mix is this year you have an ideal about food dates some thing like that can last a year..

• Tue, Dec 22 2009 9:10 PM In reply to

p.s . i looked at web page if I were you if you are still uneasy about this..

• Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:07 AM In reply to

• lynn
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 19 2008
    • NC
    • Posts 267

Thank you all very much ...I`ve decided to use the cake mix ..especially since I have 3 boxes ...too much to waste for sure. I`ll bake it tomorrow for Christmas Day. We will still be stuck in the house as they are calling for ice up here tomorrow nite and Friday Sad We got our Grandson a little bike for CHristmas ...told son he`d have to clean out the basement so the little fellow can ride as we have 16 in of snow already and now ice headed our way.

Merry Christmas .....Have a blessed day         Lynn

• Wed, Dec 23 2009 3:23 PM In reply to

Check it for weevils.  If it doesn't have those, cook it up!

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us