Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Good deals on books!

Last post 12-12-2009 9:36 PM by cheapChic. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-09-2009 10:22 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Good deals on books!

One of my other bargain finds shopping with mom are school books. One of my favorite  thrift stores had several Abeka books and McGraw Hill's Complete Book workbooks.

I found a few of the Abeka readers and while we are not using Abeka, they are great phonics readers and work with our system well enough. I also found a few non curriculum easy to read books that I can use as readers. These were sold for .25! Another .25 buy was an elementary level health worktext from Abeka. I don't have any materials on health for my youngest so this should help add content when we have a unit on that.

I bought the Complete Book of Time and Money for $1 with only a few marked on pages. I use various workbooks as worksheets and activities to support what I am teaching our youngest. I flip through our collection to determine which will be used each day. I have found this to be a frugal alternative to using texts and I can follow my own list of topics.

Have you found any good deals lately?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 12-10-2009 12:53 AM In reply to

Re: Good deals on books!

wow!! cool brandy it reminds me of the time when I found a book at the thrift shop about remodeling around the house and it had a work book with it but it was a good deal on it 10 years ago about 75 cents at the time for both books

• 12-10-2009 6:59 AM In reply to

Those are excellent deals!

Brandy:
    Have you found any good deals lately?

My DH found some good deals for his college textbooks yesterday. If he had gone to the college bookstore, he would have spent well over $500 for his four classes. He shopped at Half.com and got all but one for $150. The last book he did have to buy at the college bookstore, but it was only $16.50 (used).

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 12-10-2009 9:13 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

slk2042:
    My DH found some good deals for his college textbooks yesterday.

Those are expensive! I am glad you found some good prices to save money.

• 12-10-2009 7:29 PM In reply to

the only good deals we get are at the thrift stores like value village which has the best selection but not .25 each. the library has an on going sale of books and kids books are .25 to .50 each. my mom gets lots from there..really nice ones and then they get passed on to the kids classrooms when she is sick of reading them to the kids :)

there is a place called black bond books that has good prices on books.  books are more exp. here....my favorite source is still the library.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 12-10-2009 8:03 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

MarthaMFI:
    books are more exp. here

I am sure higher retail costs raises the prices on used items.

• 12-10-2009 8:52 PM In reply to

plus the best ones are at value village but still good deals there for kids books.  only paperbacks are nuts.  50% of original pricing..so $4-$5 per book is too much.  they have a good selection.

• 12-10-2009 10:27 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

MarthaMFI:
    50% of original pricing..so $4-$5 per book is too much.

50% is what many second hand bookstores have theirs priced at. The thrift stores I frequent sell items that have been donated so they tend to price lower than the for profit places.

• 12-10-2009 11:09 PM In reply to

value village is just pricey.    I think second hand book stores are probably cheaper!

• 12-11-2009 9:06 PM In reply to

martha the cheapesr I found at value village was 99 cents to 1.99 most charge that even at the goodwill industries its a rip but at least they got stuff to read at times like the magazines found alot of martha stewart mags for at least 50 cents...

Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us