Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Resume Writing

Last post Sun, Dec 6 2009 11:10 AM by Deborahmichelle. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 3 2009 8:55 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Resume Writing

With so many seeking out new employment, resumes are something to consider. The Dollar Stretcher has a good article on resume writing this week. 

Check it out

I got some more experience in resume writing this past year with writing a friends and redoing my husbands. It was a task but well worth it, really.

Have you ever written a resume? Do you have a current copy of yours/your spouse's?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Dec 3 2009 5:36 PM In reply to

Re: Resume Writing

I routinely write resumes for friends and family members.  I find it challenging and get to stretch my mind a bit.  Recently, I helped dd's boyfriend update his resume.  As he was about to downplay his vounteer hours with a local faith-based organization that assists new immigrants, I stopped him and 'interviewed' him a bit...  In the end, he said I made him sound like Mother Teresa, lol. 

But seriously, sit down with someone who knows you and run everything past them to see what can be included, highlighted, etc. - it all counts.  And definitely have someone separately sit down and check and double-check your grammar and spelling - especially words like 'definitely', 'separate' and 'grammar' Wink.  Liz.

• Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:41 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Brandy:
    Have you ever written a resume?

I have tried, but I am not good at it. I don't often have trouble writing things, but resumes and I just don't click.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:50 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

TizzyLizzy:
    As he was about to downplay his vounteer hours with a local faith-based organization that assists new immigrants, I stopped him and 'interviewed' him a bit..

Our friend downplayed some things that I highlighted and these became points he stood out on for the job he got.

TizzyLizzy:
    And definitely have someone separately sit down and check and double-check your grammar and spelling - especially words like 'definitely', 'separate' and 'grammar'

I tend to end up with spelling issues when I am trying to listen to the kids and typing at the same time.

• Fri, Dec 4 2009 9:59 AM In reply to

Dear All, I wouldl add to teh Dollar Stretcer story & prior comments that a resume should begin with OBJECTIVE:  [in your own words, sum up the particular job that you are applying for, but make it sound like you are thinking in general].  Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Fri, Dec 4 2009 12:22 PM In reply to

I have a resume.  I have not read the article, but one thing I read recently was that it is OKAY to change your resume as needed.  For example, if you are skilled as an office manager, but want to cut back to a receptionist job, then have your resume highlight the receptionist duties you have done rather than the office management duties you have done.  A lot of people think, "Okay, I have a resume.  I'm done."  And they send it out, but sometimes a few small changes are needed.  I have one that is very thorough, but still under 2 pages.  By having it so thorough all I have to do is mail it out with one or 2 minor changes usually.  And then I save the changed copy with a name like "resume_company x".  It matches the cover letter which is saved as "cover letter_company x".  This way if/when I'm called in for an interview I can review what I mailed out without having to remember what exactly I said.  When you're sending out several resumes a week this can be a lifesaver.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:11 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

sunshinetreva:
    one thing I read recently was that it is OKAY to change your resume as needed

Absolutely, especially if it needs updating. 

I actually did two for our friend, each focusing on different areas of his experience and skill. His work before and through college was a little varied and he was willing to look for work in various fields. This made it easier to bring a future employer's attention to what pertained to the type of job he was going for but gave his accurate work history as well. Our friend would take whichever copy best suited the job he was applying for.

My husband does not often need a resume so I tend to write a new one each time he does but keeping the old copies means I can still use portions and save time and effort.

• Sun, Dec 6 2009 11:10 AM In reply to

Dear SunshineTreva, Just one hesitation about what you wwrote ...  I have always heard that it is vital to keep a resume down to one page so taht the Human Relations dept/emplooyer can get the full sense w/o inconvenience ....  Just a thought.  Love in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us