Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Healthy Family Breakfasts

Last post Fri, Nov 27 2009 6:09 PM by CAJudi. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 23 2009 1:56 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Healthy Family Breakfasts

That's the title of an article in this week's Dollar Stretcher that has some yummy looking recipes! (Healthy Family Breakfasts) I think someone was talking about making oatmeal with different flavors; there's a recipe for apple cinnamon oatmeal a little different from what I've read before.

It's been awhile since I made granola, but I think I'll try her version soon. I'll have out of state family visiting for Christmas and that sounds like just the no fuss breakfast offering we need.

The other recipes look good, too. I don't always eat breakfast and never think ahead to make anything just for that, does anyone else? If so, what do you make (besides the recipes in the article)?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Nov 23 2009 3:19 PM In reply to

Re: Healthy Family Breakfasts

My family are fans of more protein-based breakfasts. Eggs are a staple here; we go through about two dozen a week.

We often serve scrambled eggs with salsa and cheese.

We also enjoy fried sweet potatoes, hash browns, homemade turkey sausage, homemade biscuits with jam or honey, and pancakes with homemade fruit syrup.

I also make breakfast burritos or egg mcmuffin-type sandwiches for breakfasts on the run.

I have a recipe for a hot barley cereal that is super yummy.

I rarely serve biscuits, grits, oatmeal, or pancakes without a protein side such as eggs, bacon, or sausage.

When we do eat cold cereals such as granola or boxed cereals, it is usually in the summertime. Winter is too chilly to eat cold breakfasts!

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Mon, Nov 23 2009 3:52 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we are big oatmeal eaters I make Oatmeal almost daily and muffins the family loves muffins .. 

we also eat alot of fresh fruit ...

biscuit sausage or ham

family really fond of girts also  they love grits anyway

and we are big yogart people and we love granola ... they also love to eat rice or popcorn for breakfast .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Nov 25 2009 2:26 PM In reply to

I haven't read the article but we eat pancakes with peanut butter and fresh fruit, egg casserole with toast, oatmeal, cream of wheat, toast with hot cocoa or toast with smoothie, yogurt and toast.  We tend to like a hot filling breakfast all year long.  My Dh is a wonderful omelette maker so we use bits and pieces with those as well.

I do make breakfast burritos, enchiladas, and pizza too to change up the menu.

• Fri, Nov 27 2009 2:01 PM In reply to

We normally eat protein-based breakfasts too (for the low carbs). I make breakfast casserole out of eggs, cheese, sausage, and when I take it to work I add hashbrowns. I also make burritos for us to eat at home (scrambled eggs with cheese, sometimes add a slice of bacon too). DH makes scrambled eggs with cheese and sandwich ham (the thin slices). In winter I take oatmeal to work that has Splenda, cinnamon, raisins or craisins, walnuts, almonds and pecans in it. I got that idea from Starbucks. I just make my own instead of buying theirs.

Jill

• Fri, Nov 27 2009 6:09 PM In reply to

• CAJudi
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • California
    • Posts 91

Everyone in our family but my 10yo son needs breakfast to make it through the morning. Actually, the 10yo needs it too, he just hasn't figured it out yet :)  The men all prefer things like shredded wheat (when I can get it for a good price), oatmeal, or waffles. I need some protein so will often go with eggs or granola mixed with yogurt.

I haven't been buying granola because of the high prices, but I have yet to find a recipe I'm totally happy with. I may try that one but leave out the coconut (not a fan!). 

Right now we have a couple loaves of freshly made pumpkin bread (lots of pumpkin in the freezer right now!) so that may end up as breakfast for the next couple days!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us