Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Question from a reader

Last post Wed, Nov 18 2009 5:35 PM by missapril_piano. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 18 2009 1:29 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Question from a reader

Please post if you have any advice for her:

Do you have suggestions for frugal snacks for someone on a low fat/cholestrol - low calorie diet?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Nov 18 2009 2:02 PM In reply to

Re: Question from a reader

Your basic fruits and vegetables would be good. Things like celery, carrots, tomatoes, apples, oranges, grapes, etc.

Jill

• Wed, Nov 18 2009 2:50 PM In reply to

I am on a low fat/ low cholesterol diet and I try to eat lots of fruit (buy what's in season and it is cheaper), fat free vanilla yogurt, almonds (bought on sale with a  coupon), and I bake snack breads and muffins that I make with less or no oil.  Applesauce and baby food prunes are great substitutes for oil in baked goods.  I also like carrot sticks with low fat veggie dip as a snack, my son got me hooked on that.  

• Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:04 PM In reply to

Bananas, applesauce, apples (especially this time of the year) for fruit.

Carrots, celery and green peppers for veggies (good with fat free dip I make with plain yogurt, cottage cheese or sour cream and spices).

1/2 a slice of whole wheat bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a dab of honey or fruit preserves (no sugar added).

Cheese bought on sale and cubed (get low or fat free blocks of sharp cheddar for good flavor).

Popcorn, unsalted and no butter.

Almonds (can be expensive but go a long way).

Fat free yogurts. I just bought a dozen at 33 cents each. They don't expire for almost a month so I can have one every day for a snack. Great flavors.

Hummus. You can make your own with chickpeas and olive oil and spices or buy premade on sale. Eat with veggies like a dip.

I haven't had some of these in a long time. Thanks for asking and for the healthy reminder!

Erika
  • Wed, Nov 18 2009 4:08 PM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

You can also make fat-free pita chips.  Buy whole-grain pita breads.  Cut into wedges with a pizza cutter.  Split each wedge into two pieces.  Spritz with cooking-spray and sprinkle with seasoning blend.  If you need to watch your salt, use the Mrs. Dash salt-free blends or Spike Salt-free.  Place into a very hot oven (450 degree F is good) and bake until edges start curling up and turning brown.  They should be deliciously crisp when they cool.

I also make a lovely sandwich spread using 1/2 cup shredded carrot, 1/2 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar, and a couple of tablespoons of either non-fat yogurt or fat-free mayonaise.  Spread on the pita chips, use for making a sandwich, or use to stuff celery sticks instead of pimiento cheese!

• Wed, Nov 18 2009 5:35 PM In reply to

Fat-free, low cal frosties

Needed: 

• 1 packet fat free, sugar free pudding
    • skim milk
    • fat-free whipped topping

Make 1 packet of pudding with the skim milk (per packet instructions)

Fold in with a whole container of whipped topping (the regular size container/small size).

Pour into serving dishes or a glass. 

Freeze. Stir every 30min. Ready in 2 hrs.

Don't forget www.hillbillyhousewife.com & www.hungry-girl.com as great resources for inexpensive & budget friendly food ideas.

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us