Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

iPhone apps?

Last post 11-09-2009 11:14 AM by Juneflower. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-04-2009 12:25 PM

iPhone apps?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. First I searched through this forum and the one about stretching you shopping dollars and I didn't see where it's been already discussed.

Does anyone have any experience with iPhone apps for frugal use? I know that may sound like it doesn't make any sense. An iPhone doesn't sound like a frugal choice for a phone but really, I LOVE my iPhone! I have had it for a couple of weeks and I don't know how I ever lived without it.

I love having everything in the palm of my hand. I have been looking at price book apps but I wondered if anyone has already tried any of them and have any recomendations? I would love to use a price book and I have tried a few times to start one but I get frustrated when the prices keep changing and I thought it would be so much easier to update plus like I said, you can't beat having it fit in the palm of your hand LOL.

I also downloaded a budget app and a check register app. I do not have my info transfered from my paper planner to those apps yet. I think I will need a good part of a day to work on those to get them started and I haven't had a chance to do that yet. I think those also will make life so much simpler when I have them set up. Since I don't have those set up yet I would welcome any input on those as well.

One last app I'm looking for right now is a daily planner. I don't think I can let go of my paper planner just yet but I have been looking at planner apps and so far I don't see any that would hold all the info my paper one does. Has anyone found a planner app that they like?

TIA! Karen

Karen M
    Thank you God for answering my prayer; thank you St. Jude for interceding on my behalf.
  • 11-08-2009 1:42 PM In reply to

• mary2
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-21-2007
    • Posts 56

Re: iPhone apps?

I have tried the two Price Book applications on my iPodTouch. The one by Aerende is difficult to use and it crashed a lot. The other one, by RedBog Software, is excellent. It's very well done and easy to use. The biggest downside right now is that it doesn't sync to your PC, but the software developer says that update is coming.

Full disclosure: - we get a 25 cent commission if you use the link here and buy it. (helps to keep the Dollar Stretcher in business!)

Here's a link to the application

I, too, am interested in a good planner application. I still use my Palm Pilot, but think it's clunky and cumbersome. 

Filed under: ,
  • 11-08-2009 6:06 PM In reply to

• LAT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2007
    • Posts 15

My favorite app is Ultralist.  I use it as a price book, to make a shopping list, and to keep an inventory of my current pantry.  I can assign locations to items, such as "under the stairs" or "upright freezer", and I find it helps me use up the items that I buy at such great prices.  There's nothing worse than forgetting about that ten pounds of ground beef you got on sale until it's freezerburned and no good!  (I also bought a Foodsaver to help with that, but that's another thread LOL.)  I also keep my Christmas lists in it, and it does To Do lists as well. It syncs with your desktop computer.

I tried the two price list apps, but neither one impressed me enough to bother with a separate app from Ultralist.  The RedBog one was far more useful though, I agree.

I also just bought HomeBudget to use to track my spending.  It seems easy to use, haven't used it enough to really use the reporting feature. 

• 11-09-2009 7:46 AM In reply to

Thanks guys! I posted the same question in the Stretching your Shopping Dollars forum a couple of days later and ended up getting the Red Bog app. I wish I had known to go through a link from DS . I would have done that. I did look around the site but I didn't see anything on DS site about apps. I'll look more before I buy another one.Embarrassed 

That ultralist sounds good too. I think I'll check that one out. I'm glad to hear you like the HomeBudget one too. That's the one I downloaded. I got the lite version of it but after looking at it I was considering getting the full version before actually trying to use it. 

Thanks, Karen

Karen M
    Thank you God for answering my prayer; thank you St. Jude for interceding on my behalf.
  • 11-09-2009 11:14 AM In reply to

I'm running Groceries and find it a little cumbersome, but it does allow me to make multiple lists for multiple stores and to run lists by aisle.  I'm in love with StartUp--it gives me so many national newspapers and online publications and websites at one app.  Saves time, money, and keeps me informed. 

FreeBooks is something like $1.99 but has thousands of classics and public-domain books.  I'm going to try and use ReadItLater so I can always have a free book going without a wi-fi hotspot, since I only have an iTouch.  

I will check out the Red Bog app--thank you!  I'm looking for an app which will transfer PDF's and other documents from my computer to the iTouch, so I can download my camera manual, hit the red-leafed road, and finally learn to use all the bells and whistles on the digital.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us