Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How to cook frozen breaded chicken parts?

Last post Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:37 AM by brenl. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 3 2009 3:16 PM

• LindaC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2009
    • Posts 570

How to cook frozen breaded chicken parts?

We got some of these in the AFM chicken special box.  I'm  thawing them out in the frige and plan to bake them at 375 degrees.  I'll spray the pan and the chicken pieces with cooking spray.  Does this sound about right for oven baking pre-breaded fried chicken?  We don't like to fry food too much.   Some of these pieces are large, so I figured they need to be thawed first to cook through evenly.

• Tue, Nov 3 2009 3:23 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: How to cook frozen breaded chicken parts?

sounds right to me.  the package didn't have directions or a brand name?   I assume they are prefried/cooked?

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Nov 3 2009 3:46 PM In reply to

• LindaC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 570

There were no directions or a brand name.  The chicken is breaded raw pieces.  I took them out of the bag and put into a huge bowl covered with plastic wrap to thaw in the frige.  Probably will thaw a couple of days.  Turns out there are 4 large chicken breast pieces and the rest of the pieces are wings. :(  Mama like wings at least, so she's happy! LOL!  I like thighs and sister likes white meat, but I can eat that too.   Thanks for replying!

• Tue, Nov 3 2009 4:31 PM In reply to

LindaC...I've had decent luck placing frozen chicken in the oven at 325-350 (covered in foil) for longer periods of time, then removing the foil, turning temp to 375-400 to crisp the breading.  My concern would be that thawing them may leave the breading soggy.

• Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:56 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

strange, I have never seen that,  breaded raw chicken except at the meat counter with those thin patties. 

how did they turn out?

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Nov 4 2009 12:03 AM In reply to

you can do 325ddegrees in the oven like you said and maybe 12 to 20 minutes to warm like you said I looked on the back of a box for you and you are doing just fine it may have to warm alittle longer in the oven because of the big pieces not by much..

Your doing just fine.

• Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:06 AM In reply to

I have cooked frozen chicken in the oven before, but not frozen breaded chicken. You'll probably be fine baking it frozen, just give it a little extra time and if it's not crisp turn up the heat at the end as previously suggested.

Jill

• Wed, Nov 4 2009 7:10 PM In reply to

• LindaC
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 570

Sorry ladies, I got busy last night.  I had decided to cook them this morning, but as soon as I got up, it was full speed ahead! LOL!  No time to cook the chicken.  So, late this afternoon I happened tolook into the frige and saw the bowl of chicken which i had forgotten.  I took it out and it had thawed some nicely with just a little bit of blood pooled in the bottom of the bowl.  I used a metal pan sprayed well with cooking spray and managed to get all pieces in it.

Well, I should have taken the time to check here for everyone's instructions.  I did cook the chicken at 325 for an hour, but uncovered.  Then I turned up the heat to 375 and cooked uncovered for 30 minutes more.  Then, after checking and turning over the pieces, back in the oven they went for another 20 minutes.

That's why I don't cook fried chicken--either deep fried or in the oven.  I've always overcooked.  

I had one white meat piece and it was a little chewy, but not too much so.  I didn't care a lot for the taste of the coating and there were some large, non-crispy lumps of coating.  But enough coating that wasn't too hard that I could eat a little of it.  We don't like to eat the skin or too much of the coating.  I can't eat too much greasy food because it hurts my stomach.

Somebody had a heavy hand on the pepper!  Phew!  LOL!  Cleared my sinuses though!  Stick out tongue Not bad althogether, but not something I would choose to cook or eat again.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  :)

• Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:02 AM In reply to

• richard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • u.k
    • Posts 10

Hello

Shopping Tips:

• Read the package label to see what parts are contained in the package, a product description, the total weight, a sell-by date and nutritional information.
    • The "sell-by" date is 7 to 10 days after the chicken was slaughtered and if properly refrigerated it should remain fresh 2 to 3 days after that date. If it is a "used-by" date, the chicken should be cooked or frozen by that date.
    • Choose plump, moist chicken with skin that is not patchy or transparent in appearance.
    • When choosing fresh chicken, avoid meat that show signs of freezing by feeling or looking for ice formation. When choosing frozen chicken, select one that is rock hard and shows no signs of freezer burn.

Freezing Tips:

• Use moisture proof wrap or bags when freezing chicken. Wax paper is not moisture proof and should not be used because it would not hold the moisture in the meat.
    • Be sure all packages are marked with the content and the date the chicken was frozen.
    • Wrapping individual chicken parts in foil or with freezer wrap and then placing in a freezer bag will allow you to take out only the number of pieces you will need.
    • Freeze fresh chicken as soon as possible to maintain the best quality.
    • Store frozen chicken in a freezer unit to obtain maximum storage time.
    • Thaw frozen chicken using one of three methods: in the refrigerator; in a cold water bath, changing the water every 30 minutes; or in the microwave. NEVER thaw chicken at room temperature

• Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:37 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

LindaC:

Sorry ladies, I got busy last night.  I had decided to cook them this morning, but as soon as I got up, it was full speed ahead! LOL!  No time to cook the chicken.  So, late this afternoon I happened tolook into the frige and saw the bowl of chicken which i had forgotten.  I took it out and it had thawed some nicely with just a little bit of blood pooled in the bottom of the bowl.  I used a metal pan sprayed well with cooking spray and managed to get all pieces in it.

Well, I should have taken the time to check here for everyone's instructions.  I did cook the chicken at 325 for an hour, but uncovered.  Then I turned up the heat to 375 and cooked uncovered for 30 minutes more.  Then, after checking and turning over the pieces, back in the oven they went for another 20 minutes.

That's why I don't cook fried chicken--either deep fried or in the oven.  I've always overcooked.  

I had one white meat piece and it was a little chewy, but not too much so.  I didn't care a lot for the taste of the coating and there were some large, non-crispy lumps of coating.  But enough coating that wasn't too hard that I could eat a little of it.  We don't like to eat the skin or too much of the coating.  I can't eat too much greasy food because it hurts my stomach.

Somebody had a heavy hand on the pepper!  Phew!  LOL!  Cleared my sinuses though!  Stick out tongue Not bad althogether, but not something I would choose to cook or eat again.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  :)

I cooked my breaded chicken parts to. I wish they had the cooking instruction on the bag. What I did was just put mine in the oven and cooked on 350 I think until the crust was done and seen no blood. My crew ate them like there was no tomorrow.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us