Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Frugal crockpot liners?

Last post Mon, Nov 30 2009 11:46 AM by gayla50. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:50 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Frugal crockpot liners?

This question from a reader:

I am wondering if any of the readers have a frugal idea to replace those
    expensive crock pot liners?   I try to make something in the crock pot
    once a week, to eliminate those meals on the run.
    The liners make clean up a breeze, but are expensive and just add to the
    plastic in the land fill.  Does any one have a frugal or environmentally
    friendly solution?  I have noticed that frugal and environmentally
    friendly seem to go together most of the time.
    Thanks!

Any ideas?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Tue, Nov 3 2009 12:04 PM In reply to

Re: Frugal crockpot liners?

I've never used a crockpot liner, but I spray the inside of my crockpot with cooking spray, and that helps keep food from sticking.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Tue, Nov 3 2009 12:11 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Same here - I use spray. Since liners may be made from a particular substance I would hesitate to substitute something that wasn't made for crock pots or cooking. Today our local ABC News Affiliate is doing a story on BPA that is found in all plastics and containers.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Tue, Nov 3 2009 1:40 PM In reply to

I also use cooking spray.  When the crock is empty, I put it in the sink with detergent and hot water and let it sit for a bit.  That makes cleanup much easier.

Mary

• Tue, Nov 3 2009 2:49 PM In reply to

Spray is the best IMHO.  I've used the liners, but I think they're too expensive.  Some people worry about using the sprays, but you can always buy a refillable pump type bottle and fill it with canola oil for the same thing.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Nov 3 2009 3:02 PM In reply to

I do like the liners but won't buy them b/c of the cost and extra waste for the landfill. I first tried them after my mom put a box in my christmas stocking, LOL. But after scrubbing out my crock pot just this noon, I do need to spray my crock before using it. I did let it soak overnight so not a bad clean up but spraying would have saved me a bit of time.

Erika
  • Sun, Nov 15 2009 6:37 PM In reply to

Until I read this, I had no idea there was such a thing as a Crock-Pot liner--and even now that I know they exist, I can't say I see any need for them.  I've never found cleaning the crock to be all that difficult.  Just soak it in some hot water with a squirt of soap, and then wipe it out.  Simple.

My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • Sun, Nov 15 2009 6:50 PM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

Hi everyone,

I have an old West Bend crock pot that I got as a wedding gift 27 years ago and unfortunately its doesn't have a non stick surface and I tried cooking spray and it never worked.  It was always a hassle to clean so I reluctantly put it away years ago until someone told me about the liners.  I really like this crock pot and its the only one I use the liners in.  My Rival crock pot is fine with just a spritz of cooking spray. 

• Tue, Nov 17 2009 7:50 PM In reply to

I'm just now getting around to clipping coupons from the inserts in the Sunday paper, and found one for oven roasting bags, to put a turkey in. I got to wondering if that would be a good substitute for crockpot liners. i have no idea if they are cheaper or not though. Other than that, I have no idea. Maybe a sheet of aluminum foil from one of those really long rolls, could be molded to fit inside the crock? 

I also use the nonstick sprays inside my crockpot.. it's not nonstick either.  I haven't seen a crockpot with a teflon coating, but would sure buy one.

If I'm making something like rice that I know will stick, I will rub the inside with some plain old butter. Does a better job than the spray or so it seems. But if I'm doing a beef roast or something like that, as long as there is plenty of liquid in there, it doesn't stick other than a bit around the rim. Again, a good soak with a squirt of dish liquid works on that.

• Tue, Nov 17 2009 9:51 PM In reply to

Cheryl:

I'm just now getting around to clipping coupons from the inserts in the Sunday paper, and found one for oven roasting bags, to put a turkey in. I got to wondering if that would be a good substitute for crockpot liners.

I'm not sure you could ... I'd checked with Reynolds about using those in a roaster, and they said no, something about not using it in an enclosed area, if I remember right.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us