Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How long does a load of laundry take to air dry?

Last post Sun, Oct 25 2009 9:49 PM by cheapChic. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 23 2009 8:15 PM

How long does a load of laundry take to air dry?

I used my new laundry rack to air successfully air dry my first load of clothes last weekend. It was my lights, which were pretty light fabrics so they dried within 24 hours.  I was pleased. However, last night I washed my darks which have thicker fabrics like jeans and socks and hung them up to dry.  Everything is still pretty damp and I'm a little concerned.  I live in a desert but there was rain last night and earlier today. Could this have affected it?  How long before things start to smell sour?  How long do your loads typically take to air dry?  Do you flip and/or rotate your clothes on the rack?

Nicole

~The perfect is the enemy of the good~
  • Fri, Oct 23 2009 8:44 PM In reply to

Re: How long does a load of laundry take to air dry?

Humidity in the air will definitely effect drying time.  In the summer, I can usually dry two loads a day (but I use an umbrella style clothesline, that will make a difference).  One thing you might want to try is to really "shake" out your clothes before hanging.  As in giving them a few good snaps up and down, to help the fabric lie really flat as well as to help knock out any wrinkles.  Also, maybe try bringing your clothesline inside when it's raining outside and put them in front of a heater vent?  Just an idea.

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Fri, Oct 23 2009 8:53 PM In reply to

Thank you for the response, mommatothree. I should've specified I dry solely indoors and drape the clothes over the rack, as I live in a apartment complex.  I will definitely make sure the clothes are hanging as flat as possible by the snap technique you mentioned.
  • Fri, Oct 23 2009 9:26 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Just Plucky:
    I live in a desert but there was rain last night and earlier today. Could this have affected it?

I live in a high humidity area and if there is rain, things drying inside take awhile. I don't bother trying to dry thick things inside except in the dryer because they sometimes begin to smell sour before they dry out when there is high humidity or rain.

All I can suggest is flip and rotate often and see what happens this time. This will give you a better idea of what to expect.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Oct 24 2009 10:04 PM In reply to

When I use a rack to dry things outside, it can take several hours for things to dry, depending on the weather. I've found that I do have to flip items on the rack -- air just doesn't circulate as well under the rack, so that side doesn't dry.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Sat, Oct 24 2009 11:32 PM In reply to

Just Plucky:
    How long do your loads typically take to air dry?  Do you flip and/or rotate your clothes on the rack?

I dry my whites & lights on an old wooden rack I inherited from my mom.  It is situated in the laundry room to be convenient, but the space there is "dead". It takes about 12 hours for something to dry, but there isn't much air circulation there unless the dryer is on & pulling air into the room.

When I wash darks, including jeans, I usually do not hang them on that rack - sometimes the socks on the top of the rack, but usually I hang them either on or over a hanger, then hang up the hanger over the molding on a door frame.  I live in a split level, so my best door frames to use are the master bathroom, when it is warm enough to open the window, or the doorway into the master bedroom, which is pretty much at the top of the stairs. Since heat rises, the master bedroom is always warmer than the main floor or the split-level half basement.  I have been known to unfold a metal chair to dry jeans over the back of it.  Jeans usually take at least 12 - 20 hours to dry, & sometimes I "finish" them on the rack after they have been hanging over a chair upstairs. 

In this fall weather, drying inside takes creativity.  It isn't "hot" like in the summer, but it isn't cold enough to have heat on yet - - once the heat comes on, just position the rack close to a heating vent & even the dark clothes will be dry in around 3 hours, & the drying clothes will add a little humidity to the indoor air.

• Sun, Oct 25 2009 11:37 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

As others pointed out, you need to flip clothes, especially jeans and heavier items on a rack to dry.   If it is cold you have to flip lighter items too.   My mom hung laundry on lines in the laundry room, not well heated and in the winter it could take 3 days for jeans/cords to dry.  I remember wearing pants to school with damp waistbands because I needed clean pants.  the rest was dry.  didn't have a lot of clothes.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Oct 25 2009 3:23 PM In reply to

Dear All, Now, here's a new wrinkle on the subject!  To save money on teh dryer, I take out blankets & towels & otehr heavy items after just one dryer cycle, when they are still damp.  I hang them on a rack in my apt if they are truly damp, or just put them on the bed/on teh towel rack if they just have a little damp edge.  The one s   that I have to dry on the rack take 2 days to dry.  The ones that I just put away never get a sour smell.  I keep the rack in a place in the Great Rooom of m y studio where there's lots of room for air circulation.  Yours in Hiim, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sun, Oct 25 2009 9:19 PM In reply to

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. It took about 36 hours for everything to dry, no sour smell. I will point a fan to the rack during colder months to help it dry faster, since we have radiant heaters.

• Sun, Oct 25 2009 9:49 PM In reply to

usally if there is a moister in the air it takes hours to evapperate then dry properly if its in the desert it should be dry in a couple of hours maybe stiff but wow what AH smell, during the winter mounths I did live in the desert but not for almost a year I go to quartside az. but when a good day 2 to 3 hour or less but like I saide even in cooler climits same thing or my brain most be on something else.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us