Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

powdered milk

Last post Fri, Oct 23 2009 8:05 AM by frugal_me. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 19 2009 9:49 AM

powdered milk

A friend gave me a bag of powdered milk. I dont know what to do with it. Im not much of a milk drinker. I went to pioneer woman and hillbilly housewife websites

to look for uses. I found a few but not very interesting. I was thinking of making some confections out of it for the holidays. Anyone have any recipes

for powdered milk confections? 

thanks in advance.

frugal_me

I think that in today's society people have become to materialistic to enjoy what life really has to offer. We tend to forget the order of things...our needs come before I wants.
  • Mon, Oct 19 2009 9:54 AM In reply to

Re: powdered milk

What about making some hot cocoa mix and jarring it up as presents for people?  I'm sure Gayla has a recipe.

And here's a recipe for some candy!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Mon, Oct 19 2009 10:15 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I don't care for the taste of powdered milk for drinking but I use it in baking cooking. You don't have to find recipes that call for dry milk powder though. Some foods use fluid milk and mixing up a little powdered into fluid works fine.

The convenient thing about powdered milk is that you can mix up just what you need for fluid milk amounts. You can freeze the powder so that it lasts longer.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Oct 19 2009 1:57 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Hot Chocolate Mix

One is never too old to enjoy hot chocolate, and this is a special way to share it with a friend.

3 cups powdered milk

½ cup cocoa

¾ cup sugar

Dash of salt

Sift the ingredients into a large bowl. Pack the mix into an airtight container.

Hot Chocolate

4 tablespoons Hot Chocolate Mix

8 ounces boiling water

Marshmallows or whipped cream Place the Hot Chocolate Mix into a mug. Pour in the boiling water. Stir until the Chocolate mix is dissolved. Garnish with marshmallows or whipped cream.

I use it in bread , corn bread mix , for scalloped potatos. basically when I need milk .. I love using it .. I have several other recipes it really a conveince food. I even began to use it waffle and pancake recipes .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Oct 19 2009 2:09 PM In reply to

I used to use powdered milk for all my baking, but it has gotten too expensive. The last I looked, it was $7.99 to make 10 quarts (2.5 gallons). That works out to be $3.19 a gallon, and I can buy liquid milk for $2.79. It's not worth it to me anymore.

To keep from running out of liquid milk, I started buying 3 or 4 gallons at a time, and storing the extra in the freezer.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Mon, Oct 19 2009 2:11 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 1/3 cups instant dry milk
    1/2 cup hot water
    4 tablespoons butter
    3/4 cup sugar

Pour water into blender, add milk, and sugar. Blend. Add butter and blend
    Thoroughly. Chill for later use. 1 1/4 cups homemade mixture equals 1 can regular sweetened condensed milk.

Evaporated Milk

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry powdered milk
    1/2 cup warm water

Whisk together all ingredients.

Whipped Topping

6 tablespoons powdered milk
    1 cup water
    2 teaspoons gelatin
    1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Dissolve the milk and gelatin in boiling water. Add sugar, stir, and chill in the refrigerator until it gels. Beat the mixture until it looks like whipped cream. Add vanilla and whip again.

Bakers Cheese: (Tastes like Ricotta or cream cheese & may be used in any recipe calling for either.)

1/4 Rennet tablet (Junket) Available in most grocery stores near the gelatin section. It is the enzyme, Rennin.
    2 quarts warm water
    5 1/3 cups instant dry milk
    1/2 cup buttermilk

Dissolve Rennet tablet in warm water. Add dry milk and mix well. Add buttermilk and mix well. Cover and keep at room temperature until set (about 5-10 hours). Pour into Cheesecloth-covered strainer, close the cheesecloth, and squeeze out as much whey as possible. The whey may be saved for use in bread. Place the cheese in the refrigerator until well chilled (usually overnight). Knead cheese until the texture is smooth. Cheese will freeze well for up to 6 months. (Makes about 1 lb.)

Milk Gravy

1 cup powdered milk, mixed with 3 cups water
    1 tablespoon butter
    3 heaping tablespoons flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix the water and powdered milk together. Add the flour and salt. Cook over medium heat until the gravy is thickened. Add the butter and stir until smooth.

"Queso Blanco" or White Cheese

10 Cups Powdered Milk
    4 Quarts Water
    2 Tablets (Junket Pills) Dissolved
    1 Quart Half & Half Cream - (Don't know what you could substitute)

Pour powdered milk into container and slowly add water, stirring to dissolve milk.
    Heat mixture until lukewarm. Meanwhile dissolve junket tablets
    in a cup with some of the water. Add this to milk; mix in quart of half and half. DO NOT OVERHEAT MILK! When it is lukewarm remove pan from burner and let sit about a half an hour to 45 min. Take large spoon and break up mixture-let set for about 10 minutes. Pour mixture with a cup into a small sack (cheesecloth) or container with holes so that it can drain and drain and drain. Will take about 5 to 6 hours or let drain overnight. When I used the cheesecloth method, the cheese was wrapped in a round ball and tied with a rubber band.

Margarine from Powdered milk

1/2 cup milk powder

1 1/2 cups safflower oil (You can use other oils if you like, I prefer olive oil.)

2/3 cup water

a little yellow coloring ( I dont even bother with this )

Reconstitute the milk powder by adding it to the water. Whisk in an electric blender at a slow speed adding the oil a little at a time
    (important) if the mixture is still too soft add more skim milk powder a little at a time till it thickens. Some practice may be needed to get it right but by memory I got it the first time and every other time since.

"Cream of Chicken" Soup Mix

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
    3/4 cup cornstarch
    1/4 cup unsalted instant chicken bouillon granules
    2 tablespoons dried onion flakes or 1-teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Blend ingredients. When ready to use, combine 1/3 cup
    mix with 1 1/4 cups water to equal 1 can of soup

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Mon, Oct 19 2009 2:33 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

one hint I  have about powered milk is if you have a Mexican Grocery  check the price of Nido ( powdered Milk ) around here I get my Powder milk for about 30% less that at the local store ...

Nido is often on sale at Walmart .Nido is Nestle

Gayla

• Mon, Oct 19 2009 2:51 PM In reply to

You can make the equlivent of Eagle Brand Milk with it using powdered milk and sugar it tastes the same once it is cooked but looks a little different so you may want to do a trial run. You can also make hot chocolate and like sunshine said you could make up and give as gifts. Recipe for cocoa mix 10 2/3 cups instant powdered milk,6 oz. jar non-dairy creamer,4 cups powdered sugar,2 cups of Hershey's cocoa powder 1 bag of miniture marshmellows (optional) Combine all ing. in a large bowl stir to mix well.  Store in a cool dark place makes 17 cups mix 1 serving=3 Tablespoons of mix to 1 cup of water or milk I personally like milk better and I also add marshmellow cream to my chocolate per cup as I make it I just prefer it that way over the miniture marshmellows.

• Mon, Oct 19 2009 8:10 PM In reply to

My co worker greeted me with 3 more bags of powdered milk today..lol

Thanks for the tips!

I think that in today's society people have become to materialistic to enjoy what life really has to offer. We tend to forget the order of things...our needs come before I wants.
  • Mon, Oct 19 2009 8:24 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I went out today  and made a huge batch of  hot  chocolate my DH annouce hey honey they just said we be back in the 70's later the week cant win .. 

Gayla

Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us