Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Thanksgiving Menu ?

Last post Sun, Oct 18 2009 4:02 AM by sammiejo2009. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 12 2009 10:56 PM

Thanksgiving Menu ?

What are you going to serve for Thanksgiving ?

• Mon, Oct 12 2009 11:01 PM In reply to

Re: Thanksgiving Menu ?

My menu depends upon Mom. If Mom's still alive, I'll be eating at the nursing home.

If Mom has died, I will either drive to my aunt's house or I will begin a new tradition.

As I've said before, I'm not a turkey fan. I am thinking seriously of doing a lasagna.

I will, however, chill bottles of sparkling cider no matter what. I may see about the other sparkling fruits at the local gourmet shop. They used to have a sparkling pear that was quite nice.

• Tue, Oct 13 2009 8:32 AM In reply to

We will be having DH's parents over and our friends down the street (I assume, since they haven't declined and they have every year we've asked). So it will be turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, probably green beans, corn, some other veggie and either cornbread muffins or rolls. Plus I'll probably make my pumpkin bread and buy a Mrs. Smith's apple pie. DH's parents and the friends will bring something whether I want them to or not. I don't make suggestions about what they should bring.

Jill

• Tue, Oct 13 2009 9:28 AM In reply to

We will have the basics - turkey, hm stuffing, hm gravy,  sweet potatoes, hm cranberry/orange, green beans (plain not the gooey stuff), the kids will bake pies.

If we are having guests I will add in a small ham, ambrosia, mashed potato salad, maybe a rice dressing and let the kids bake some more. 

I'm shooting for healthful meals so most of Mom's old recipes (sorry) have been modified.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Tue, Oct 13 2009 12:15 PM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

DH will fry a turkey and we'll have the usual, stuffing, mashed potatoes, praline sweet potatoes, green beans, broccoli/rice casserole (DS favorites).  DIL will bring pies for dessert.  We always invite my MIL however she spends it with DH's step dad's side of the family.  My side of the family lives in Kansas City, Missouri so it will only be DH, two sons, DIL and 2 graddaughters. 

Wow, when you think of it, its not that far off.

• Tue, Oct 13 2009 6:29 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

My menu:

• roast chicken
    • stove top sweet potatoes
    • corn on the cob
    • dressing
    • cranberry sauce
    • rolls
    • homemade pumpkin pie

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Oct 13 2009 9:24 PM In reply to

I don't know yet.  We don't know if DH's family will be doing anything and if they are will they be asking us to join them.  It's one of those things we just don't know since we're new out here.  I'm hoping they do something as I'm not ready to host a full-on meal for more than just my family.

If they don't do anything or we are not asked to participate in anything, then I will make it a point to do something myself.  I don't think I would do a whole turkey for just 3 of us, but maybe a turkey breast or a larger roasting hen (5lbs perhaps?).  I would do all the fixin's to go with it -- mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato casserole, green beans, a jello salad (I would call my grandma to get a recipe), dinner rolls, and at least 1 pie (apple!, but if I had 2 pies the second one would be pecan).

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Oct 13 2009 10:05 PM In reply to

Im making a salad and order the rest of the food from safeway foods that ends the problems with the family gripping about other peoples cooking... I learned my lesson and it ended when I let them pay for the food...lol

Im getting sneaky this year.

cindy   >:)-

• Tue, Oct 13 2009 10:34 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

let see

turkey

dressing

mashed potatoes

sweet potatoes

peas

squash

corn

mac & Cheese

asparagus

tomatoes 

okra

other  vegetables

giblet gravy

deviled eggs

rolls

pickles

olives

celery with cream cheese

plain celery

baby carrots

baby tomatoes

cheese and crackers

jello  ( several kinds )

then  pie

pumpkin

apple

cherry 

mincemeat

pecan pie 

whipped cream

and

fruit cake

red velet cake

I make up alot of rolls   

and I make up quick bread and different butters , muffins assorted 

I sure I forgot something it an event here .. 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Oct 13 2009 10:49 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

my DH invites everyone he comes in contact with ... we have people coming and going all day .. some come for dinner some for dessert some just to wish happy holidays

I fort got to list cookies  I make alot of cookies ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 3 (27 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us