Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Pressure Cooker

Last post 03-13-2012 4:45 PM by jonesyj. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-12-2009 6:03 PM

Pressure Cooker

I would like to have a pressure cooker to make quick meals but just call me chicken but I am afraid they might blow up.  My best friend has one and she uses it quite a bit but I am still afraid of the jiggling for all of the people who own pressure cookers could you please give some input both positive and negitive.

• 10-12-2009 6:22 PM In reply to

• karen kay
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-02-2008
    • Easter United States
    • Posts 347

Re: Pressure Cooker

i dont know how i would cook without my pressure cooker.  i have used one for years.  the newer cookers are not as sturdy as the old ones, but i dont have any problem.  i cooked a roast yest. and it took 25 minutes and otherwise if i didnt have cooker , it would have been a couple hours.   Just make sure you read directions really well before using cooker and i dont see why you would have a problem.   i also have a pressure canner and it has fasteners on it and that makes it super safe.  they also have little round rubber valves on top of lid in case you would forget to look about it and it got too much steam inside.  the little rubber piece would just blow out and all the steam would go straight up to ceiling, which i did one time.  but i wouldnt trade my pressure cooker or canner .  hope you do get to use one and see how handy and quick they are.  just like any other cooker you use, just be careful around children.

Starry Night
  • 10-12-2009 7:03 PM In reply to

I got into pressure canning last fall and had a grand time learning to do it. I readily admit, I was mortified of it but DH (Mr. Composure) hung around the kitchen until I got used to the process. While its a "quick" way to cook, you can't rush the process of getting the pressure up to the correct setting OR letting the pressure go down before you open the lid. I used mine to pressure can meat and some vegetables. I recommend finding someone who is comfortable with the process and have them spend time in the kitchen with you until you get used to it.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 10-12-2009 7:10 PM In reply to

I have 2 Presto pressure canners, and 1 Mirro pressure cooker.

I love the pressure cooker for cooking old chickens and old rabbits tender and not tough. For cooking potatoes it only takes 8 minutes! Squash and pumpkin is easy.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 10-13-2009 7:02 PM In reply to

• lmnichols
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 12-03-2008
    • Southern Indiana
    • Posts 92

I want to get a pressure canner.  I, too am a little nervous around them.  Is there a particular make/model that any one prefers?

lynn
  • 03-13-2012 4:45 PM In reply to

I to was terrified of a pressure cooker. I kept watching them advertised on QVC and HSN and I thought what a time saver they would be! I got up the nerve to call and order one. It arrived, I unpacked it and it sat on my kitchen counter for two weeks as I nervously eyed it. Finally the day came when I said, "this is it, I'll make some rice, how hard can that be"? I poured in the water, added the rice and salt. Placed the lid on the machine, plugged it in, made sure I closed the vent as instructed, pushed the button and RAN out of my kitchen. I stood in my Dining Room and listened---Silence--- no rattling, no steam spewing all over the place--nothing, just silence. A few minutes later I heard three beeps. I walked to the Pressure Cooker and the read-out said "END" I waited for the pressure to drop, opened the lid, and there was the most perfect rice I could ask for! That broke the ice for me. I moved on to Chilli, Soups, Chicken, Pot Roast etc. etc.

That poor machine has not had a break since I made the rice. When I told my Sister I made Stuffed Cabbage in 25 minutes, she said I was dreaming. Chili in 20 minutes, 5qts of home made soup in 20 minutes. True, all true. What a boon to the American housewife!!!! I wish I had had this when my 4 sons were growing up. I am so sorry I didn't buy it years ago. So much wasted time and energy. Plus a cool kitchen in the hot summer

Take the plunge, order an electic Pressure Cooker they are safe and you will love it like I do. I have a 5qt Cook's Essentials unit.but Montels unit looks good too.

Good luck, and happy Pressure Cooking!!!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us