Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Consignment store purchases

Last post 09-30-2009 6:59 AM by shelliajean2. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2009 12:06 PM

Consignment store purchases

I visited a consignment store that sells only children's clothing and items. They have a punch card and with my previous purchases, I saved 15% of my total and earned 5 punches to my next 15% reward. This store sells all manner of "gently used" clothing but does have some name-brand items. I came home spending $50 and change and this is what I bought for winter for my 2 boys (ages 3 and 5):

2 pair snow pants (bibs)

1 pair snow boots (almost like new)

6 sweaters (2 were "name brand") I'll admit, I bought the 2 name-brand b/c they had a 3T and size 6 and they matched. I'm going to use them for our Christmas card picture--this may be the last year I can dress them the same, LOL. New, these sweaters would have been over $40 each (at Dillard's, Younkers, Macy's etc).

2 pair winter PJs

4 pair jeans (one had store tags still on them!)

4 long-sleeved shirts (thermal or cotton knit)

1 pair khaki dress pants (Land's End--with adjustable waist!)

1 pair brown dress shoes (OshKosh).

Now, I could have paid less at garage sales and maybe thrift stores. But what I like about this consignment store is that it is clean, they don't accept torn or dirty items, it is very well organized both by size of clothing and type of clothing. And they always have a great selection. I knew I could buy the snow pants, boots, dress shoes there as well as the other clothing. I was there about 20 minutes and found everything I needed for my boys--I didn't have to dig through piles. For me, the savings in time was also important to me. Garage sailing could have taken up my entire morning (and gas) driving to 3-4 different sales areas and while I was out, I was able to go to Walgreen's, CVS and my bank since they are all in the same 2 block retail area as the consignment store.

Do you have a favorite consignment store? I think after baby 3 comes (our last), I will start sending clothes over to this consignment store to earn extra cash.

I've been pleased with purchases at this place in the past and think I may visit there again in the spring--and if I have a baby girl. They had some of the cutest baby girl clothes for $2. We utilize hand-me-downs but I needed just a few more things to round out my boys' winter clothing. And some of these looked brand-new!

Erika
  • 09-24-2009 1:42 PM In reply to

Re: Consignment store purchases

Sounds like really good buys, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 09-24-2009 1:48 PM In reply to

Awesome shopping Smile ... I've never done consignment. I think there are only 2 in the city and I have been to one, which was very stuffed!

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 09-24-2009 1:54 PM In reply to

Wow you did fantastic.   I go to a few consignment shops as well as Goodwill.   There is one that I really don't like - stuff is dirty and it's crammed and messy.   The one I like the best sounds like your favorite too - very clean, nice quality and what I like the best is that she won't take car seats - no way to tell if they have been in an accident, etc.   The yucky store had car seats for sale that I knew had been recalled (like my Evenflo portabout).

Great job!

Dawn
  • 09-24-2009 4:26 PM In reply to

I bought a pair of Christopher banks jeans today for $2.50 at my local consignment store when i dropped off a boxful of stuff ...I had that much credit on my consigning acct to pay for it!

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 09-24-2009 8:32 PM In reply to

I have an consignment kids store I love plus I sell things though there. So when I go there and find something for the kids, I get taken off my balance.   getting things together for another trip! have another pay out too.  that money I put in a jar for kids stuff.

I know I can sell it though craigslist etc but it is easier for most things this way. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 09-29-2009 2:59 PM In reply to

We have a nice store like that in town. I just got my daughter new rain boots in EUC and a really good brand for a good price. We aren't finding out the *** of this baby but if it turns out to be a boy I plan on taking all my girl stuff and trading it for boy stuff.
  • 09-29-2009 3:43 PM In reply to

Oooh, I never thought of trading! If we have a girl, I could get rid of all my boy baby stuff and trade for girl baby stuff! Great idea! I'll keep it in mind as my due date gets closer (Feb 2010). We don't know if we are having a boy or girl either. But this consignment store has great baby clothing and gear (but like a PP, no car seats).

Erika
  • 09-29-2009 4:20 PM In reply to

There's a nice consignment shop where my mom and dad live that sounds like the one you like.  I shop there whenever I go to see my parents.  I haven't found a nice one where I live in the nine years I've been here, they're mostly dirty shops, and the one clean one I've found is so over priced I can buy new stuff for what they charge.

Edited to add that I haven't sold anything on consignment because I have two boys and I save the oldest one's clothes for the younger one.

• 09-30-2009 6:59 AM In reply to

I have a favorite consignment store but it's not a clothing store.  They sell furniture and decorative house hold items.  I save up my weekly "pocket money" and visit at least once a month.  They have awesome stuff everytime I go in there and the prices are great.  DH & I had been searching for a small love seat for our bedroom for several months but hadn't found anything in our price range that looked even good and would fit in our space.  One day I went in the consignment shop and there was the perfect sized love seat upholstered in a pattern that would look nice in our bedroom AND was in our price range.  I had the lady hold it for me until I could get DH over there to look at it.  DH took one look at it and said SOLD.  It is really nice to get a good deal on something that you need. 

Shellia

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us