Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Store brands or name brands?

Last post Wed, Sep 30 2009 5:57 AM by swedluv. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 23 2009 3:10 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Store brands or name brands?

There are a few name brands that I buy regardless and some I buy when I'm in the mood. For instance, Kraft is a "mood" thing, but Kashi is a "regardless" brand. Thinking over my grocery list, I see several things which I will buy the name brands, although I tell myself that I buy generic, store brands most of the time. Generic ice cream just doesn't do it and store brand dish soap doesn't work, but Kroger has canned beets that I like better than any name brand. I still buy more store brands. (I think.)

Do you buy more name brands than store brands? Are there some that you buy for a treat or when have more money to spend? Or are they all the same to you?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Sep 23 2009 3:30 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Store brands or name brands?

Pat:
    Do you buy more name brands than store brands?

It depends on the item. Some store brands are fantastic and others are not worth buying.

Some store brand items we really like...Rouses' coffee creamer, Rouses' ice cream, Rouses' wheat and white bread, Walgreens' storage and freezer bags, Walgreens' OTC meds, Rouses' ketchup, Walmart's version of Dove soap, Rouses' peanut butter.

Some of the items that we only buy in specific brands are coffee, dish cleaner, commercial house cleaners, detergent, sliced cheese, shampoo and margarine.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Sep 23 2009 4:17 PM In reply to

Brandy:
    Walmart's version of Dove soap
    I also use the equate (walmart) version on dove soap!

I prefer the Brookshire/Super 1 foods version of some organic foods, like peanut butter. I can't remember the given name of the brand. It may just be "earth friendly" or something.

I use store brand butter. I don't use margerine, unless I'm making roasted garlic pasta--- and that's a sinful indulgence I allow myself very rarely Wink

Dish soap-- I will buy whatever's cheapest, but it has to have a lavendar scent, same with bleach. Almost the same with dishwashing-- can be liquid or powder, but has to have a lemon scent.

Albertson's has good store brands, but they haven't carried them as much in recent years.

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Wed, Sep 23 2009 4:46 PM In reply to

Some things I don't mind the store brand but also some things I am brand loyal to Ice Cream I like Edy's and Bryer's ketsup Heinz cheese I have 3 favorite brands, Cracker Barrel Kraft and Deerfield farms also like Keebler and Mrs.Fields cookies and if I use margarine I use Parkay Sticks.

• Wed, Sep 23 2009 5:08 PM In reply to

We buy both but I think we do purchase more store brands overall. One of my stores has started carrying store brand organic items and I feel they offer the same quality at a lower price, especially the whole wheat pasta.

DH refuses to use anything but JIF peanut butter and actual Miracle Whip for his sandwiches. No store brand for him on those 2 items! I've tried store brand cream of mushroom soup and have been disappointed so now just stock up on Campbell's when on sale or have coupons. I make a lot of my own salad dressings but when I buy dressings, I have some favorite brands.

Some suprising store brands that I really enjoy: Market pantry (Target brand) ground coffees and ultra pasturized creamer; Walgreen store brand medications (equivelant to tylenol, benedryl, sudafed, children's tylenol, etc), toothpaste, body soap (like Dove sensitive skin), hand sanitizer; Sam's Club brand diapers, pull-ups and hypo allergenic baby wipes; Wal-Mart diapers and pull-ups (we don't need any of those now but will in the next 5-6 months!).

Some brands I am partial to: Aveeno facial cleanser and baby soap and lotion (both ds and I have sensitive skin and Aveeno works best us); laundry detergent (either Era or Purex free and clear); Modern Organic Product shampoo (expensive but my head does not itch using this shampoo) and Lubriderm and Eucerin lotions.

These I look for on sale or coupons. I do try the store brands and if they work, I do switch. Sometimes with a coupon, the regular brand is cheaper than store brand so I keep that in mind when shopping.

Erika
  • Wed, Sep 23 2009 5:39 PM In reply to

Oh definitely store brands.

And Wal-Mart store brands keep going up, so now I shop anywhere I find a bargain.

I just found Aldis facial tissues are just as soft as Puffs, so it's Aldis for me now.

Recently I ran out of my name brand decaf coffee and used my store brand pantry stock. It was fine.

I've heard many store brands are manufactured by the same companies that process 'generic' brands. 99% of the time I can't tell the difference. But my pocketbook does.  Wink

bw

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Wed, Sep 23 2009 5:48 PM In reply to

I like Harris Teeter's brand of butter. The HT brand of pie crust (both in the dairy case & in the freezer) is just as good as Pillsbury's. It kinda depends on which brand is cheaper and if I have any coupons.

I do not buy Food Lion's store brand.

I like HT's store brand of milk (cream & buttermilk) and sour cream and cheeses.

I don't like HT's ice creams.

When it comes to jarred sauces for pasta, I prefer the national brands. I tried HT's various store brands and I didn't like them.

• Wed, Sep 23 2009 7:02 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

missapril_piano:
    I also use the equate (walmart) version on dove soap!

I discovered this deal when shopping with Mom. I saw it at the end of an aisle with a great discount price on it and decided it was worth trying for the price. If I didn't like it, it could be used to make liquid hand soap or cleaners so it was a no loss purchase for me. I discovered it worked well as my facial and bath soap. Since I paid a fraction of what the Dove costs, it was a real savings for me.

I haven't gone to buy any at full price yet but I plan to.

missapril_piano:
    Dish soap-- I will buy whatever's cheapest

I am sensitive to liquid soaps so I have to be careful of what I use. Palmolive is the least irritating to me so it's what I buy.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Sep 23 2009 8:04 PM In reply to

Lately, I've been buying more brand names because I'm getting better deals combining coupons and sales.  I don't have a problem with store brands in general, except for yogurt and margarine ... gotta have name brands on those.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Sep 24 2009 12:00 AM In reply to

I have my favourites:  Heinz Beans, Green Giant Niblet Corn, Batchelors Marrowfat Peas, Heinz Salad Cream Dressing. (you can tell I was brought up in Uk as a child!!). I am also sensitive to scents and perfumes in products so try to buy unscented dryer sheets and detergent.  Have found that Pantene products do not make my scalp itch as much as some do.  I only use Ivory Bar Soap.  Crest or Colgate Toothpaste.  Lactose Intolerant so I use Lactose Free Milk I swap between Natrel Brand and Beatrice Brand.  Like Pepsi not Coca Cola.  Will use generic frozen vegetables, any brand of salted butter. For my paper products, it all depends upon which brand is on sale and for how much.  So long as the tissue box has 140-150 or more tissures and is a good price and 2 ply then I don't mind whose it is.  Same with toilet paper - though Pharmasave brand usually works out the cheapest price for the most sheets and they are on sale at least once a month.  I  like Bounty brand paper towels and the ones where you can tear off the size that you need.  Sometimes I only want half a sheet and that gives me the option to do that. Ketchup I use in soups or stews and I buy the least expensive one.  Has to be Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce though and I use HP Sauce Brown Sauce for soups and stews too.  Prego Original or Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce is my favourite.  Second choice would be Healthy Choice brand.  Preminum Saltines.  Generic canned mushrooms or store brand.  Canned tomatoes - usually store brand or cheapest diced, stewed brand.

Can't think of too much more.  It also depends upon how much money I have to spend on groceries for that time period and what I will be making with the ingredients.

Hugs Sally.

Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us