Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Quick Meals

Last post Sun, Oct 11 2009 7:30 PM by eyrehead. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 20 2009 3:43 PM

Quick Meals

If I keep the ingredients to make sauces in the house, I can whip together a quick meal. I have lots of boxes of pasta that I bought on sale and I used coupons. Thanks to my taking some classes on sauce making, I feel more confident about different types of cooking.

I don't mean to gloat, but I've been able to save $$$ by not hitting the carry-out places like Ruby To Go plus I've saved by not having to add a tip.

Sure, some of the stuff I fix quickly did come from the freezer sections of Trader Joe's and Harris Teeter, but it is a lot less expensive than eating at a restaurant or getting it to go.

I have to admit that of the different grilled chicken Asian salads I prefer the one at Applebee's, but I don't think it is worth the price. Trouble is that I can't copy the dressings.Wink

The cheapest frozen potatoes I've found are Walmart's Great Value Hash Brown Patties for $1.88 for 10 patties.

I look at the big picture whenever I look at the grocery ads. I plan ahead for future meals by shopping wisely and frugally. I look for loss leaders.

• Sun, Sep 20 2009 6:22 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Re: Quick Meals

Good for you VNW .. 

I make up meatballs , beans and different sauces , I always have precook Hamburger for a quick meal

I have bags of bread mix made up  

I keep a pantry full of quick meals .. I use the crock pot alot .. 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Sep 20 2009 6:30 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

rencenty I brought some of those frozen chicken patties

here a quick meal I make now 

chicken parmesian...

Heat patties.
    Once heated through, melt mozzarella (or your choice cheese) on top.
    Place on top of fettucini pasta (or your choice - linguini is good)
    Add pasta sauce ...we usually use something from a jar that I doctor up with herbs and spices (garlic, oregano, italian seasoning, etc.)

That is a definite thirty minute meal...sometimes less. Serve with salad

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Sep 29 2009 1:51 PM In reply to

Time and again, my George Foreman Grill has saved a time or a drive to a drive-through. Great product.

thyme2save
  • Tue, Sep 29 2009 1:54 PM In reply to

I am going to have to use mine more often.

• Tue, Sep 29 2009 2:53 PM In reply to

I think you've already posted that you're going in this direction, but you could make up a bunch of single-serve meals and put them in your freezer. Then when you need something quick you can pull something out and heat it up. When I make things like lasagna, spaghetti, chili, chicken alfredo or mac and cheese that's what I do. I also keep items on hand that can be cooked quickly like hotdogs or buffalo wings. Obviously your tastes will be different than mine, just think about what you like to eat and go systematically about stocking your freezer.

Jill

• Tue, Sep 29 2009 2:54 PM In reply to

I really liked my George Foreman grill, but my second one stopped working last year.  I got a different brand to replace it but haven't tried it out yet, since it was warm I just grilled outside.  

A quick meal I make is pasta with garlic and parmesan.  I cook the pasta, usually fettucine, and while that cooks I heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large pan and add two cloves of garlic, minced.  Stir the garlic and don't let it burn.  Once the pasta is done mix it with the oil and garlic and sprinkle a quarter cup of freshly shredded parmesan on top.  Add a salad and some rolls and this is a yummy quick meal.

• Sun, Oct 11 2009 5:41 PM In reply to

• Julie T
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 25 2007
    • Central Minnesota
    • Posts 106

During the week, I get home from work at 6 pm. I always need quick and easy. I can broil or grill a piece of meat, make potatoes in the microwave and steam some vegies or make a salad and have it to the table in 20-30 min. Quicker than processed boxed or frozen meals and much better for you. I also use my crockpot, I have 3 and I LOVE them!!

Julie

• Sun, Oct 11 2009 7:30 PM In reply to

I, too, brown ground beef/venison/turkey and then freeze in meal size portions, so I can take advantage of any good deals on the meat, but also, on those busy nights, I can just take out a bag of precooked burger and add manwich, and have sloppy joes. Or I can add the burger to a jar of pasta sauce, or add taco seasonings, etc.

I also like to have precooked meatballs on hand; either homemade or store bought (when on sale). Sometimes we'll have pasta & meatballs, or just meatball sandwiches. But they're also good to have on hand for a quick potluck dish: sweet & sour meatballs, bbq meatballs, etc.

I love chicken parm, and will have to try that recipe. Thanks for sharing it Gayla!!

~*~Angie~*~

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us