Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

crisco shortening how long does it last?

Last post 09-20-2009 10:42 AM by MarthaMFI. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-19-2009 11:48 AM

crisco shortening how long does it last?

I bought crisco shortening in blocks almost a year ago probably. reg and butter flavoured.   always going to do something with them but didn't. I keep them in the pantry cupboard in the kitchen. 

how long does it keep? the package doesn't really say how long. I always get frustrated when packaging doesn't say how long you can keep something and there is no expiry date.  

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 09-19-2009 12:53 PM In reply to

Re: crisco shortening how long does it last?

Butter flavor, I don't know. Regular lasts at least a year.

My advice ? Call the 800 on the package and ask them.

• 09-19-2009 1:29 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

for Criso web site

How long can I keep Crisco products on my shelf?

The shelf life of a shortening or oil product depends a great deal on how it has been stored and handled. For the best results, Crisco products should be stored in a cool, dry place away from strong odors, direct sunlight, and sources of heat (stoves, dishwashers, and refrigerators).

Crisco Products Shelf Life & Manufacture Code Locations
    Shortening Can Shortening Sticks Crisco Oil Crisco Spray
    Unopened 2 years from manufacture date 2 years from manufacture date 2 years from manufacture date 2 years
    Opened about 1 year about 6 months about 1 year 2 years
    Code Location bottom of can side of plastic tub side of bottle back label bottom of can

Freshness Tip: To help keep track of how long a container's been opened, you might write the date on the package when you first break the seal. If you notice any change in color or appearance, or if your Crisco product develops an off odor or taste, it's probably past its shelf life and shouldn't be used.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 09-19-2009 4:29 PM In reply to

thanks gayla!  think I blew it and wasted money!

• 09-19-2009 5:07 PM In reply to

Just smell them.  There is no doubt when they are bad.  A good bar will have a clean chapstick kind of smell (basically nothing).  A bad bar will smell rancid.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 09-19-2009 10:40 PM In reply to

thanks 2ndgengranola!   the packaging is a bit discoloured like stained with fat.     crisco wasn't something used in the house growing up and my mom still doesn't use it.

I use margarine or butter for cookies mostly.   It was a sale and I was going to make biscuits.

• 09-20-2009 10:26 AM In reply to

I grew up using Crisco - my mother started buying it after my father developed gout and his doctor suggested not using bacon fat to cook things in - but I've since discovered that butter works better, tastes better, and keeps longer (in the freezer) than Crisco, and I quit using it years ago.  I bake erratically - with just me, it's far easier, and often cheaper, to buy bread at the bakery outlet a mile from my house than to bake for myself, and when I moved 6 years ago, I tossed the little bit I had left; it was way past it's use by date, and it smelled rancid.  Crisco is vegetable fat, that's why it's supposed to be "better" for you than butter, but you can use equal amounts of butter in any recipe that calls for Crisco, and the recipe will come out as well, or better - just put the butter out first and let it soften before blending.
  • 09-20-2009 10:42 AM In reply to

that is why it wasn't used. can find cheap baked goods and I use margarine or butter if I do bake.  and since it is mostly mixes  its oil!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us