Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

choose that baby gift

Last post Sun, Oct 10 2010 6:17 PM by monaliza. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 3 2009 3:57 AM

choose that baby gift

Hello

I want to share a few ideas to consider when you choose that baby gift:

1. Where is that baby in the family? If the baby is the second in the family, there are probably many major purchases that have already been made. Use a high chair as an example. The second child probably does not need a new one. An exception would be when babies are a year or so apart. Then a second high chair might be a needed baby gift. If the baby is one of many, then the sibling's high chair may be ready for the junk pile. If in doubt, ask before making a major purchase, even for baby number one!

2. Give books. There is no better gift to give a child than the gift of reading. Being surrounded by books often a reader makes.

3. Give information about baby sign language. That is new rage and it works.

4. Consider the financial situation of the family. If the financial situation is grave, stick with some practical gifts such as warm clothing or a major purchase. If it is a family who has everything, try to be creative. They have already bought the obvious baby gifts.

5. Diapers. If all else fails, diapers or a few months of the more earth-friendly diaper service are always  welcome baby gifts.

6. Don't forget an older child. They are probably feeling left out and overwhelmed. A small gift for all of the older siblings is the order of the day.

Keep sharing reading please. 

• Thu, Sep 3 2009 7:08 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: choose that baby gift

Book Showers are a big thing here with the young Moms. Also adding a book with a gift. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Sep 7 2009 1:52 AM In reply to

At baby showers, there are two types of gifts - sentimental and practical. Practical is great because it saves the new mother time and money. However, sentimental gifts
    can reach the heart and will stay around a long time. If possible, it's a good idea to give one or two of each type of gift. Wrap a lovely 'baby's first book' along with a pack of
    diapers and baby wipes. Or, include a baby blanket and outfit with an embroidered baby pillow.

• Mon, Sep 7 2009 8:31 AM In reply to

I often make crocheted gifts out of acrylic baby yarn - afghans are quick and easy (for me, anyway) and are always appreciated; acrylic yarns go into the washer and dryer without problems.  I have also made up gift packs of items that will be needed when the baby is slightly older - baby spoon and fork, dishes, bibs, sippy cup, 6-12 month-old clothes, toys and/or other things that might be needed when the baby is 6 months old and no longer needs the newborn items most people give as gifts.
  • Wed, Sep 22 2010 3:37 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Babs,

What kinds of books make good gifts?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Sep 22 2010 3:47 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Don't forget that some new parents are sometimes Non-Conventional. My niece is having a baby next month. She and the father live and work on an Organic Farm. They are having the baby at home and prefer organic - natural - earth friendly items which you can't find just anywhere. I tried to consider their values and preferences when selecting their gifts.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Thu, Sep 23 2010 1:59 PM In reply to

I wish I had gotten/asked for more baby gowns when DD was born.  We only had two or three and just kept washing and re-using!  Diapers are wonderful gifts, but I needed more size 1,2,& 3, and not so many newborn.  Wal-Mart always took back any extra unopened packages I had & I just exchanged them for a larger size.

• Fri, Sep 24 2010 9:38 PM In reply to

Another gift idea - a piggy bank with some money in it.  Buy an inexpensive one and use a pemanent marker or paint pen to personalize with a baby's name.  Hopefully,it will be the foundation for good money habits for the little one.

This idea was inspired by a baby dedication (a.k.a. christening or baprtism) service I attended a few years ago.  The pastor encouraged the congregation to contribute an offering, which was then split between the 3 babies/families, to be deposited (hopefully) in savings accounts/mutual funds etc for the babies.  I liked the idea of planting a seed for the babies' future prosperity.

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Sat, Sep 25 2010 3:23 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

timzagain:
    Another gift idea - a piggy bank with some money in it.

I like that one.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Sep 26 2010 7:48 AM In reply to

Brandy:

timzagain:
    Another gift idea - a piggy bank with some money in it.

I like that one.

Thanks! It's just occured to me that a personal finance book targeted at children could be included with or substituted for the piggy bank.

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us