Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Crockpot cooking

Last post Thu, Aug 30 2007 12:39 PM by My Family's Interests. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 27 2007 11:00 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Crockpot cooking

I've never had a problem making almost anything in a crockpot, so I was surprised to see this article on Dollar Stretcher this week: Dried Out Slow Cooker Meals

Have you ever had food dry out in a crockpot? The recipes I follow, if any, aren't usually made for crockpots, but they seem to come out fine. Am I a doofus just having good luck?  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Mon, Aug 27 2007 9:25 PM In reply to

Re: Crockpot cooking

My family complains that boneless/skinless chicken breasts turn out dry no matter how they are cooked.  Even crockpot cooking.  However most of my crockpot meals have to runny of sauces after cooking for a few hours, but they are not dry and I do not use crockpot recipes for the most part.

2catsmom 

• Mon, Aug 27 2007 9:51 PM In reply to

My favorite slow-cooker use it to take a 3 pound chuck roast and cover it with a mixture of beef consume and cream of mushroom soup.  Wine is also a good addition if I have some on hand. I let it cook for several hours and refrigerate it to remove the fat.  I use half for hot beef sandwiches with gravy and the other half for beef and noodles.  This is a crowd pleaser at my house.

Pat
  • Mon, Aug 27 2007 10:08 PM In reply to

My husband complains that everything tastes the same if I put a mixture of foods in so I use it mostly for meat. I haven't had any problems. a favorite is shredded pork sandwiches- pork roast with a cut up onion and 1/2 bottle bbq sauce. Cook it and then shred it and add rest of bbq sauce. Freezes well. Have done it with chicken breasts and will with beef one day. The slow cooker is good for tortelli and sauce too but it only takes a couple of hrs to cook but keeps the kitchen cool.

My Family's Interests
  • Tue, Aug 28 2007 12:51 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Well, if I'm a doofus having good luck, I guess all of you are, too! I wonder what she could be doing to cause food to dry out? Overcooking it, maybe? But even then, the sauces and juices seem to stay in the cooker.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Tue, Aug 28 2007 8:04 AM In reply to

Pat:

Well, if I'm a doofus having good luck, I guess all of you are, too! I wonder what she could be doing to cause food to dry out? Overcooking it, maybe? But even then, the sauces and juices seem to stay in the cooker.  

Well I answered the question to Dollar Stretcher.  Part of the issue is the slow cooker or crockpot itself.  Those made after the mid to late 90's are designed to cook faster, 4-6 hours instead of 8-10+.  If you look at the older cookbooks and recipes and compare to todays you can see the difference. 

Another reason is the way they are breeding meat now, less fat or marbling, so it has nothing to produce moisture naturally.  Unless you lard the meat ahead of time or brine it, it will be dry.  The cheaper cuts of meat or meat with the bone on it will produce a better end result in a slow cooker.

For meats like boneless skinless chicken breasts, if you brine it or package and freeze it in buttermilk the meat will stay nice and juicy.  For red meats you can brine it in salt water and herbs.  For pork plain milk(powdered is fine also), or sour milk will work wonders.

Any meat with the bone still attached will also produce a much moister meat in the newer crockpots.  The bone slows down the cooking process as it takes time to heat it and the meat to temperature.  The slower the process, the more tender the meat.  : )

For foods that end up tasting the same, such as a roast with carrots, potatoes, onions, etc.  If you slow cook the meat and add the vegetables for the last hour or so(depending on the cut) you should avoid that problem.

And for a last bit of advice, always make sure you add 1/4 cup water or liquid to the bottom of your slow cooker, the end result of your meal will be much moister or creamier.  No matter what type of meat I cook, I use 1/4 cup of buttermilk as the first ingredient. 

• Tue, Aug 28 2007 10:03 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Brianschef:
    Well I answered the question to Dollar Stretcher....

Wow, thank you! If I ever had any doubts about your expertise (which I didn't), you erased them right there. My success is probably because I use the cheaper cuts of meat all the time in the crockpot. I do whole chickens, but I use liquid with it (rice, mushrooms, etc. and a lot of water).  

I really am a doofus having good luck! Big Smile

Thanks, Brianschef.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Tue, Aug 28 2007 10:43 AM In reply to

My hubby is just picky lol. I tried a recipe called cowboy stew which was beans, beef etc and he didn't like it. He doesn't like mashed potatoes, rice etc because of textures etc.  I lived on what he ate (hamburgers and no veggies) and gained 40lbs in no time flat after we were married. Now as his mom and I say you have to set a good example for the kids :)

My Family's Interests
  • Tue, Aug 28 2007 5:18 PM In reply to

Pat:

Brianschef:
    Well I answered the question to Dollar Stretcher....

Wow, thank you! If I ever had any doubts about your expertise (which I didn't), you erased them right there. My success is probably because I use the cheaper cuts of meat all the time in the crockpot. I do whole chickens, but I use liquid with it (rice, mushrooms, etc. and a lot of water).  

I really am a doofus having good luck! Big Smile

Thanks, Brianschef.  

You are welcome, one moment of clarity today...    Party!!!

• Tue, Aug 28 2007 5:20 PM In reply to

My Family's Interests:

My hubby is just picky lol. I tried a recipe called cowboy stew which was beans, beef etc and he didn't like it. He doesn't like mashed potatoes, rice etc because of textures etc.  I lived on what he ate (hamburgers and no veggies) and gained 40lbs in no time flat after we were married. Now as his mom and I say you have to set a good example for the kids :)

I understand, I am also a texture freak.  You would be shocked at some of the things I wont eat and why I dont eat them!~  lol 

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us