Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Stocking Up on Groceries

Last post 08-29-2009 12:33 PM by MarthaMFI. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-27-2009 11:52 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Stocking Up on Groceries

Many of us have been working on stocking our freezers and pantries so that we can make purchases at the cheapest prices or weather emergencies. It's a great idea!

But when do we need to stop buying for the stock?

Kelli Ellenburg has some great tips for next week's Dollar Stretcher. Savings does require balance. Check out her article and see if her formula works for you in maintaing the right amount of items and keeping track of sale trends.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 08-27-2009 11:57 AM In reply to

Re: Stocking Up on Groceries

Brandy:

Many of us have been working on stocking our freezers and pantries so that we can make purchases at the cheapest prices or weather emergencies. It's a great idea!

Kelli Ellenburg has some great tips for next week's Dollar Stretcher. Savings does require balance. Check out her article and see if her formula works for you in maintaing the right amount of items and keeping track of sale trends.

Another good article. I calculate that my hubby's weekly fliet mignon costs half as much bought at our butcher's than it costs at the big-stock-everything store.
    WooHoo!

thyme2save
  • 08-27-2009 12:21 PM In reply to

EXCELLENT TOPIC. I was just watching a new show called "Hoarders" and one woman had a particular issue with food in addition to the other stuff. Even when food was dripping with rot, she attempted to salvage it. At the end of the show, my DH admitted to me that when I went on my stash frenzy last summer and fall, he was concerned that I could end up doing the same thing. BALANCE IS IMPORTANT and that is why I've started a couple of threads on managing our stashes. Its all part of the learning curve. When we buy a pack of chicken breasts, we know exactly how far it will go and how much to use. Its one thing to store soaps and things that won't rot, its another to buy so much that you waste money when you throw it away.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • 08-27-2009 12:29 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Toni B.:
    Even when food was dripping with rot, she attempted to salvage it

There is no point to buying so much that it goes to waste. That doesn't save money at all.

I have stocking up on things at sales for years so I have a system of my own in play that keeps a balance. My system allows me to keep our budget lower. I also have cut back spending to essentials only and used the stock when income was tight or when we were unable to purchase more (like after a storm).

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 08-27-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

Brandy:

Toni B.:
    Even when food was dripping with rot, she attempted to salvage it

There is no point to buying so much that it goes to waste. That doesn't save money at all.

I have stocking up on things at sales for years so I have a system of my own in play that keeps a balance. My system allows me to keep our budget lower. I also have cut back spending to essentials only and used the stock when income was tight or when we were unable to purchase more (like after a storm).

Stockpiling is all about order and being aware. We eat better because we have a system.

thyme2save
  • 08-27-2009 3:46 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

as the weather get colder I will start stock piling grains , legumes and fall type food  

I am the queen of soup , and casseroles  I love fall

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 08-28-2009 5:48 AM In reply to

I stockpile canned tomatoes in the late summer for the rest of the year. I used to stockpile Campbell's soups, but I am going to make the cream soup substitute instead. I can control sodium better that way.

Like Gayla, I like soups in cooler weather.

I am trying to prevent wasting foods that I've stockpiled.

I imagine that I'll be using my bags of multi-bean soup mix that I prepared last year.

• 08-28-2009 9:05 AM In reply to

Brandy:

Price Book! Nothing helps me as much as my price book. Without it, I make mistakes.

thyme2save
  • 08-28-2009 10:13 AM In reply to

Great article! Sometimes we do get caught up in the excitement of building up our stockpiles and forget how much we "really" need.

~Living frugally at the edge of the forest ~
  • 08-29-2009 12:33 PM In reply to

that is true or not realizing that you don't use enough it.   like cases of soup with me.  the food bank benefits though!     I was thinking I needed to stock up on pb but then I realized that school is starting so the amount of peanut butter used will go way down.  No pb sandwiches at school.   now the pb gets used almost everyday.  so timing is everything too.

I know in the summer I am not going to use the oven much so frozen foods that need the oven are out.    I always need to remember these things.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us