Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Emergency Preparation

Last post Fri, Aug 28 2009 4:12 AM by Virginia Needlewoman. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 27 2009 11:36 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Emergency Preparation

Many of us are in storm season and of course snow is coming up for many others. We should all know by now that we should prepare for these things but often, things are left out or simply forgotten.

Are you prepared?

Check out next week's article on emergency preparation and see if you are.

Disasters, smaller storms and the occasional power outage can cost money. Even preparation can be an expense. How do you purchase supplies frugally?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Aug 27 2009 11:39 AM In reply to

Re: Emergency Preparation

Brandy:

Many of us are in storm season and of course snow is coming up for many others. We should all know by now that we should prepare for these things but often, things are left out or simply forgotten.

Are you prepared?

Check out next week's article on emergency preparation and see if you are.

Disasters, smaller storms and the occasional power outage can cost money. Even preparation can be an expense. How do you purchase supplies frugally?

For years, I've read be-prepared articles. This is one of the best. Thx.

thyme2save
  • Thu, Aug 27 2009 11:52 AM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 5 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

This one has some things you wouldn't think about. Thanks for sharing.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Thu, Aug 27 2009 11:52 AM In reply to

That was a good article. One thing I would add from growing up in California--I was in the 1989 quake near San Francisco--is that we all need to know how to turn off our own utilities. When the 1989 quake struck, our house had a gas leak. I didn't know how to turn off the gas. As I was still a teenager, I had never thought about those sorts of things. Thankfully, my father came home soon afterward and turned it off.

I think that many of us have some emergency supplies already, we just might not have thought about them as being used for emergency-type purposes. We don't necessarily need to go out and purchase a lot of "camping" food, since we probably all have some canned goods at home already. (Don't forget a manual can opener!) I know candles present a fire hazard, but they are a source of light and heat. We all probably have a few candles. Even if they aren't emergency-type candles, a scented potpourri candle will work. (Don't forget the lighter or matches!)

Julie wrote a blog entry recently about her emergency kits. I especially liked her idea of keeping cash in small bills handy. If all heck were to break loose, and cash was the only way to buy what we needed (computers were down for credit/debit, and who in their right mind would accept a check?), we might be able to barter more successfully.

I found her blog entry here: http://community.stretcher.com/blogs/stretching_dollars_mommy_style_couponing_freebies_and_more/archive/2009/07/20/family-emergency-preparedness.aspx

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Aug 27 2009 12:03 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

There are a few things in there that I would not have thought of:

Putting glasses on the bottom shelves. I would suppose this is fantastic advice for those dealing with earthquakes but for folks in mobile homes in hurricane or tornado prone areas, this might not be a bad idea.

Dust masks and safety goggles in case of a fire was also an interesting tip that I have not heard before.

These were just two. The article was packed with things I have not seen before in emergency prep articles.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Aug 27 2009 8:06 PM In reply to

Brandy:

Putting glasses on the bottom shelves. I would suppose this is fantastic advice for those dealing with earthquakes but for folks in mobile homes in hurricane or tornado prone areas, this might not be a bad idea.

There is a putty-type product that is made to help secure breakables from falling in case of an earthquake. I think it's targeted more for decorative-type plates that are on display shelves. (I wonder if play-doh would be a frugal alternative.) Also, you might consider putting stoppers on your cupboards, similar to baby-proofing your cabinets, if you need to keep your glassware on higher shelves.

Brandy:

Dust masks and safety goggles in case of a fire was also an interesting tip that I have not heard before.

Yes, that is a new tip for me, too. And a fantasitic one!

I note that she suggested scanning your credit cards and other necessary documents. If these things were destroyed, Heaven Forbid, would authorities use a digital copy as readily as a hard copy? I don't have much experience with this, thankfully, so I don't know.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Aug 27 2009 10:32 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Our Family has a plan for all Emergency  we of course face fire ... we live in a forest .  Winter .. we been here for 3  weeks with ice and snow  .  Hurricane  Ivan  taught us all a huge lesson and do you know you can survive with out power for several days .. Ice is horrible  in the mountains  we have copies of all id's and major papers orginals are in the safety deposit bank ..  we keep cash , extra RX  ,  we have ids for the kids and the adults my DH is the all about safety .. I know I forgot some of the preps but  my DH and boys keep our house and us safe .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Aug 27 2009 10:45 PM In reply to

That's a great article!

I think I am very prepared but, of course, there is always more prepping to be done. LOL. I'll separate my preparations into 2 categories:

Hurricanes --> In my area, this is the biggest local threat. I consider this a "short term" emergency. I have 4 windup flashlights, regular flashlights w/ batteries, battery recharger (can be put into an outlet or the cig lighter in the car), wind up radio, generator, several gas cans which we always fill up before a storm, 5 gallon buckets (we fill w/ water for toilet & bathing), food, Coleman cooking stove, many mini stove propane bottles, camping gear, fan, important documents and cash in a fireproof box, many candles, matches, tape (for windows), tarps & a few pieces of plywood around (in case a window breaks or roof leaks), etc. We are about as prepared as anyone I know for a hurricane... in worst-case scenerios (like the center of the Katrina mess; we are about an hour from NO) a lot of this wont matter. But in the standard "we are out of power for 2+ weeks; no gas at the gas stations" typical situation, we are more prepared than most that I know. I credit that not only to growing up in Louisiana, but growing up camping and watching my parents parents prepare before and after a storm when I was little. While people were eating tuna in cans and watching the last battery in the flashlight go out, my mom was cooking jambalaya on her Coleman stove and we were playing card games!

Long Term --> 6 months + food storage (including grain mill), 2 months formula for DS, 1 year + toiletries(both adult and kids), 6 months toilet paper & fem. products, 1 year + cleaning supplies, 3 bottles bleach, 4 gallon bottles of vinegar, 1 year or more of detergent (make my own), lots of preparedness books & printed material in a big emergency binder, many guns (though I told DH we need to get more ammo), water bath canner, some canning supplies (need more jars & lids), etc. I'm currently working on a very nice solar cooker (have most of the supplies; once I get the rest will get DH to help w/ the project) and working on chicken coop & tractor (hope to get chicks in the spring). Have a "wish list" for other prep items I'd like to have. The biggest long term prep that I need to work on is water storage. We have a well but we rent. If it was our land I'd have a hand pump on it but that'll have to wait until we get our own place. In the mean time, I'll be soon purchasing a couple 55 gallon water barrels.

I also have a GOOD (get out of dodge) bag in the trunk of my car (actually 2 bags). Currently they include: 4 MRE meals, 1 big can beans (eat beans and can you can use to cook things over a fire or for drinking), 1 water container, multipurpose tool, camping utensil set, trashbags, dry wet wipes, bar of soap (in ziplock), windup flashlight/radio, rope, New Testement, leather gloves, first aid kit (a good one!), local maps, waterproof matches, travel toilet paper, rain poncho, etc. Things that I still need to get: bungee cords, collapsable gas container, radiation tablets & keychain meter, change of clothes & walking shoes, compas, small bills cash, etc. I commute an hour + drive to work. To get home I have to pass MANY plants.... I like to know that if I had to get home from work in the case of an extreme emergency, that I could do it either by car or by foot. I keep this in mind with what I pack and how heavy these 2 bags are.

PS. Thanks for putting the link to my blog post Stacy! I'm going to soon be posting an entry about how I manage to "stock up" so much in such a small mobile home! When I first moved in here, I was always complaining about the lack of storage space. Now, though I vent here and there, I've learned to make the best use of the space that I have. I still need to organize more and do better, but over all I think that I've gone far beyond my storage expectations for this small place! And I want to share that with others so that they may be encouraged....

Have a blessed day,

Julie

• Thu, Aug 27 2009 10:49 PM In reply to

slk2042:

I note that she suggested scanning your credit cards and other necessary documents. If these things were destroyed, Heaven Forbid, would authorities use a digital copy as readily as a hard copy? I don't have much experience with this, thankfully, so I don't know.

I do this and recommend that others do too. The reason is that you will have all of the information (card name, number, company customer service number, etc.) so that you can call and cancel cards (if they go missing), request a new one, etc. That way you have all your loan, mortgage, insurance, etc. information in case the "hard copies" are lost in a fire or flood. Usually when you call companies like this about your account, they want your card/loan/etc. number and then the info (like social security number) of the holder's name.

If you own your home, take pictures of the house and major items in it for insurance purposes.

I also suggest scanning family photos (even if it's just the more important ones: wedding, baby, etc.) and putting them on a flash drive. They take up very little space and you can get re-prints in case your originals are destroyed). Make sure when you save the pics that you save them with the date (or approximate).

Have a blessed day,

Julie

• Thu, Aug 27 2009 11:06 PM In reply to

Oh... and I forgot

First Aid: I have a good first aid stock...this includes regular OTC pain relievers, bandages, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, thermometer, sinus meds, 1 round antibiotics, aloe plant outside, Mucinex, Black Elderberry Extract (both for adults and kids), cortizone cream, book When there is no doctor, etc.

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us