Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Window treatments

Last post 08-28-2009 9:29 PM by bnfrugal. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-27-2009 7:38 AM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Window treatments

Have you come up with a unique window treatment that didn't cost much? In this sneak preview of "Affordable Window Treatments," Tricia Goss comes up with some pretty cool ideas! Can you top them?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 08-27-2009 9:01 AM In reply to

Re: Window treatments

I was intending to use flat sheets for DD's room unless I could find something else at a steal of a price.  I'm doing yellow window treatments in her room or some variation of that -- white with yellow flowers; yellow, blue, white stripes; etc.  It'll add a feminine touch to her blue room.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 08-27-2009 9:19 AM In reply to

I once saw some darling napkin rings that were made simply by looping some ribbon together, and sewing the loop shut with a big decorative button. That concept would be cute for tiebacks.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 08-27-2009 9:31 AM In reply to

I have seven combined kitchen and dining room windows and use just blinds and valances.  I found two cloth tablecloths at WalMart in the colors I wanted for the rooms and as luck would have it, they were checked.  I simply did the math, cut along a line, hemmed them and made a rod pocket and have gorgeous, matching valances at all seven windows.  Many didn't even need hemming as the tablecloths were already edged.  I think the tablecloths were on sale for $7.00, so I paid $14.00 for the window treatments.  

I've used sheets many times for curtains.  I've also hit yards sales with tons of curtains (usually a church) and once got a dollar-a-bag bunch of cafe curtains all in neutral tones, then dyed them all one color for my dm's large kitchen (you can use tea bags to dye a nice eggshell color).  Also, if you buy those bed-in-a-bag things, many people don't use the dust ruffle - they can be cut up for a valance or small curtain as can an extra, matching pillow case.  The dust-ruffles are common at yard sales, too, usually never used.  

My bedroom curtains were once a worn chenille bedspread, bought for a dollar.  They dye nicely, but I left mine white. I usually leave my long curtains plain in all the rooms, then get creative and switch out coordinating valances seasonally...Liz

• 08-27-2009 9:35 AM In reply to

TizzyLizzy:
    Also, if you buy those bed-in-a-bag things, many people don't use the dust ruffle - they can be cut up for a valance or small curtain as can an extra, matching pillow case.

Ooooh, that's a nice idea!  All the bedding stuff I look at for DD's room has a skirt, which won't work with the bed frame she has.  This whole time I kept thinking I would just toss it, but now I can use it for some decorative touches with her window treatment.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 08-27-2009 11:59 AM In reply to

Pat:

Have you come up with a unique window treatment that didn't cost much? In this sneak preview of "Affordable Window Treatments," Tricia Goss comes up with some pretty cool ideas! Can you top them?

Through the years, I've tried just about everything that I could make, but nothing is as easy for me as blinds. I like them, and with a micro fiber cloth, they are easily cleaned.

thyme2save
  • 08-28-2009 9:29 PM In reply to

Take a look at the blog, The Nesting Place for her "window mistreatments".  She shows how to do quick and extremely inexpensive, no sew ways, to put up curtains.  Just a glue gun, stapler gun, and drapery tacks.  Love, love, love her site.  Great, cheap ways to decorate.  I promise you won't be disappointed.

BTW...I don't know her personally and have nothing to gain.

Warning...this site has lead me to a gazillion other similar type sites.  It's addicting, but fun...if you love to decorate, on the cheap, without it looking cheap.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us