Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Reupholstering furniture

Last post Sun, Aug 23 2009 10:07 PM by MarthaMFI. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 20 2009 4:55 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Reupholstering furniture

I've always been a little anxious when it comes to reupholstering... well, to be honest, I've been downright afraid to try it! Big Smile I'm pretty sure some of you have done it, though.

This article: Easy Reupholstery in next week's Dollar Stretcher makes it sound easy, though. What do you think? Is it that easy?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Aug 20 2009 6:08 PM In reply to

• Toni B.
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 4 2008
    • Seneca Falls NY
    • Posts 3,826

Re: Reupholstering furniture

Pat:
    I've always been a little anxious when it comes to reupholstering... well, to be honest, I've been downright afraid to try it!
    Same here. Especially large pieces to start with. I did cover the top to a cedar chest. DH unscrewed the board from underneath the lid and we put fabric right over the original one and used a staple gun. Its held up well and was easier to do than I thought. Dining chairs and cedar chests are one thing - I'm not sure I'd tackle a couch or large chair. I do watch HGTV and have seen folks on Design on a Dime do it but I think close inspection of their work would reveal some "issues".
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Stages of Life
  • Thu, Aug 20 2009 6:44 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I am blessed got a nephew who can do this he does a lovely job and save me a bundle of money we had a very nice chair and foot stool re covered they go in our sitting room

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Fri, Aug 21 2009 1:45 PM In reply to

Mom knew how to reupholster furniture. Mom took a zillion workshops with the NC Extension Service after she married my step-father.

She said it could be difficult/tedious to do it. She once told me to try making slipcovers instead of redoing a piece of furniture.

As I recall, Mom said it was time consuming, but worth it.

• Sat, Aug 22 2009 12:24 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Most of the older sewing books, like Better Homes and Gardens, or Singer or McCall's have instructions on how to measure to fit to re-upholster furniture or make slipcovers. Because the instructions were always in these vintage sewing books, I assume it was a common practice of those who sewed regularly, as having furniture re-upholstered professionally was extremely expensive. These same books also have detailed instructions for making draperies and curtains. Check at a library for the older books, or look on-line for some being sold. These books were the pre-1960's books, usually.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sat, Aug 22 2009 3:24 PM In reply to

• cmouse01
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 24 2008
    • Wisconsin
    • Posts 227

Our local "technical" college is offering a Life-long learning class in reupholstering this fall ($98 for the class?).  I mentioned to Dh about taking it and he said "no.  You have enough projects - I can just see you crocheting/knitting, reading books, surfing the internet, "watching" television, and tearing apart the furniture all at the same time!"  Big Smile  I'm hoping to convince him to go to the class.

Before we were married, his mother took me to a wonderful place that sold used furniture, but the guy was picky about what he'd accept.  I picked up a couple of Ethan Allen wing-back chairs that I liked but I didn't care for the colors.  She said I could always have them recovered.  Fast forward, 15+ years.  Those stupid chairs still haven't been recovered (other priorities always take over), but now I like the colors.  Well, sort of.  They're faded, need a serious cleaning, and the chairs need new cushions.  But they're good quality, so even though it's expensive, it would still be cheaper to have them recovered than to try and buy anything new (and of comparible quality).

I'm hoping maybe we can save a bit and try to reupholster them ourselves. And once we do one, there is at least one other chair, possibly more in our house that could use the same treatment.

• Sat, Aug 22 2009 4:04 PM In reply to

I've watch my Mom reupholster a few things.  Not me.  If she, a highly experience seamstress, had that much trouble, I'm better off hirint it out.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Sat, Aug 22 2009 5:24 PM In reply to

• Darlene
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 11 2008
    • (Mid state) Illinois
    • Posts 137

I neighbor of my mother-in-law was an amateur upholsterer. She learned the skill from a VCR tape she check-out of her local library. She started with a foot stool and progressed to other projects. Once when visiting, I watched as she was taking apart a vanity chair. It was very ratty, but she carefully removed the existing fabric, and labeled the pieces with a felt tip marker. Those pieces became the pattern for the new fabric.  The instruction tape was very simple and included instructions on how to replace springs, tighten loose legs, add more padding, etc. She also had a room in the basement where she kept the ongoing project. If she became frustrated, she could leave the room with everything out, and come back another time ready to tackle the project again.

Darlene**

• Sun, Aug 23 2009 10:07 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

at the local high school, they have a course on upholstering but you bring a small piece to do. something that you can easily carry in and out. 

always think of it because i have an antique chair to do!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us