Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Using Junk Mail

Last post Sun, Aug 23 2009 7:13 AM by maziemom. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 20 2009 4:39 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Using Junk Mail

I sometimes tear the envelopes open and use the inside for lists and have used the brightly colored ads for various paper crafts, including rolling "beads" for my granddaughters when they were small.

In next week's edition of Dollar Stretcher (we get to peek!), there's an article called "10 Uses for Junk Mail," so that intrigued me. Do you use junk mail or do you just throw it out?

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Thu, Aug 20 2009 4:43 PM In reply to

Re: Using Junk Mail

My junk mail envelopes are used for the occasional shopping or to-do list.  Catalog/ magazine type junk mail is usually donated to the teachers at DD's former school for use in craft projects etc.  Other than that, I just throw it out before it gets an opporunity to become clutter or a temptation to spend!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Sat, Aug 22 2009 12:44 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

My junk mail goes straight into the recycling bin or shredder pile, depending on what it is. There is less handling that way and it doesn't sit around waiting for me to find a use for it. Otherwise my house tends to get cluttered up with all the stashes of things I should be re-using or re-purposing. I need some floor space to walk around in.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Sat, Aug 22 2009 12:55 PM In reply to

I sometimes let the kids play "store" with the fake plastic credit cards they sometimes contain.  I've reused the envelopes to write a list on for the grocery store and then put the coupons inside for easy access and to keep it orgainized.  Other than that it goes in the trash.

Heather in CA
    http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/
  • Sun, Aug 23 2009 12:28 AM In reply to

If the envelopes don't already have addresses on them they are used for my mailings.  I haven't bought a box of envelopes in 3 years.  If they do have adresses on them I use them to hold the deposits to take to the bank or cross out the adress to use them for the bills I pay  in town that don't have to be mailed.  The contents get "hand-shredded".

re-tired  

• Sun, Aug 23 2009 1:48 AM In reply to

I just throw it out. Sometimes it doesn't make it past the garbage can into the house. Big Smile

• Sun, Aug 23 2009 7:13 AM In reply to

I have a clutter problem in my home, but it isn't paper (other than magazines which I allow to accumulate some before giving away).  Mail is sorted as soon as it's brought in and all junk is discarded immediately.  I only get two paper bills a month (all other and bank statements are online), so most of what I do get is junk, magazines I subscribe to, or catalogs of some sort.  If it's a catalog I want to look at, I give myself a week; at the end of that time, it is trashed even if I haven't looked at it yet.

Carol
    western NC
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us