Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

uses for old crayons?

Last post Wed, Sep 30 2009 5:21 PM by crafting09. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 15 2009 1:04 AM

uses for old crayons?

I cant stand coloring with crayons after the tips are completely gone, I know about making the jumbo shaped crayons, any other ideas?

if it wasnt for the kissing tradition, no one would care about mistletoe.

To live is to die slowly, love fully, breathe deeply, laugh uncontrollably, sing loudly, dance wildly, take no one for granted, smile when you want to cry, raise others up and be raised. Never let what you cant do, stop you from doing what you can.
  • Sat, Aug 15 2009 1:20 AM In reply to

Re: uses for old crayons?

You can melt them together in paper muffin liners & make multi-colored crayons for kids.

A current issue of Woman's World had a bunch of ideas for old crayons.

• Sat, Aug 15 2009 10:32 AM In reply to

When I was a kid we used to use our kiddie scissors to make piles of crayon shavings by rubbing the open scissor length-wise down the crayon.  These were then placed in a design on wax paper.  When the design was done, another piece of wax paper was put on top, and my mom would use the iron to melt the design in between the wax sheets where it stayed.  I think she put a washcloth or small towel down between the iron and top wax sheet.  Very fun to do -- she helped us do this at VBS, too.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sat, Aug 15 2009 10:39 AM In reply to

We used to melt old crayons in candle molds, either all of one color or swirled together to make random designs, with a wick in the middle, then give the candles as gifts - but I don't know if today's crayons can be used as candles.  You could also buy cheap jars or open bottles and pour melted crayon into them, mixed with a little essential oil, to make room fresheners.  

If your problem using them is the lack of a tip, buy a cheap eyebrow pencil sharpener and sharpen them again - or use a knife.  It's not quite the same as  the original tip, but it works just as well - if you sharpen carefully enough, it's better, because there's a better point.

• Sun, Aug 16 2009 12:53 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

You can color a design on a piece of fabric, then place a piece of wax paper over it, and lightly iron the design to melt and set the color. Makes a really pretty vintage looking piece of work.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Wed, Aug 26 2009 11:15 PM In reply to

• budzmom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 13 2009
    • Posts 65

WOW, Sunshinetreva we made those too!! And they were fun!! My youngest brought me the most beautiful fall leaf he made me out of waxed paper and fall color s(of leftover, shredded candles).He even cut it in the shape of a leaf!! My favorite use for short/old crayons is to melt them down to make candles out of....with the holidays comming, that could be a great way to make decorations for our homes (they sell the wicks at Hobby stores like Michaels Crafts) or to make frugal gifts.Wouldn't it be cool to give/recieve a set of candles made that way !!

• Fri, Aug 28 2009 4:54 PM In reply to

I am going to try the ironing thing rite now, If I dont reply in 1-2 hours, I am either having a great time, or I burned my house down

To live is to die slowly, love fully, breathe deeply, laugh uncontrollably, sing loudly, dance wildly, take no one for granted, smile when you want to cry, raise others up and be raised. Never let what you cant do, stop you from doing what you can.
  • Fri, Aug 28 2009 5:13 PM In reply to

It is ok, i think, but now I would use different colors. like yellow and green mybe instead of blues purples and greens. and I didnt burn down the house....yay!

• Sat, Aug 29 2009 10:04 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

It is such fun to discover a new/old craft, especially when it is made with something as simple as crayons and cloth.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Wed, Sep 30 2009 5:21 PM In reply to

Some great ideas to save the small bits of crayons.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us