Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Gift bags

Last post Mon, Aug 17 2009 4:29 PM by TiffanyJohnson. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 12 2009 12:29 PM

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Gift bags

Dollar Stretcher has directions and suggestions for making your own gift bags. I've made them, but not like this! Sneak a peek: Gift Bags for Less

Have you ever made any that way? 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Wed, Aug 12 2009 1:06 PM In reply to

Re: Gift bags

Pat:
    Have you ever made any that way? 

Not with the make it yourself handle, but I have recycled some white bags from a nursing conference that had white handles. They were large, about the size of a brown grocery sack, but they had a large desin in the middle advertising one of the local home health companies.  I was using them for Christmas & winter birthdays, & had just received those large 5 x 7" Christmas "demo" cards with horses that come in the mail, wanting you to order from their"group" I think there were about 8 or 9 of them.  They were the perfect size to glue over top of the emblem, & the cards were on a white background & had embossed edges, so they turned out looking really nice.  I used the ones with "Christmas" anything in the card for Christmas, but some were just winter scenes with horses, so I used those ones for the winter birthdays - we have 3 in January & 1 in February.  They held a lot & worked really well, & are still being recycled for those birthdays in the family, because they are very sturdy. 

The next yearI expanded & used some of the cards over the brown or purple fresh fruit bags from the 2 supermarkets here.  I put two of the cards over a black & white vertically striped bag with a logo & it turned out to be a very "masculine" looking bag. My GD's loved the purple ones. I don't know how I got on the list to receive these cards, but now that I have a use for them, it's nice.  

Really, tho, you could use last year's Christmas cards & do the same thing.

• Wed, Aug 12 2009 2:10 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Great ideas! I've made bags with sturdy wrapping paper by looking at a paper sack and creating a sort of pattern from it. I never thought about using old Christmas cards to decorate over other bags, though. Live and learn... Smile

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Thu, Aug 13 2009 10:29 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

The Dollar Stretcher article has some great ideas for decorating bags. It wouldn't be much expense involved buying a pack of lunch sacks and decorating several with what you had on hand at home. Making the handles out of things like bias tape or ribbon is a good way to use up pieces that are too short for much of anything else. One step that I would add would be to glue down the cuff on the bag, clamping with clothes pins to keep it in place until the glue dried. I think that would help to strengthen the top and keep it in place. These bags would be a good project for children. 

For myself I like making fabric bags. They take more effort to construct and cost a little more, but last longer with many more years of use than paper. They can be decorated much the same as the plastic bags, can be made out of thick or thin fabric, made drawstring style or stiffened and made like the paper bags with handles. 

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
    Filed under:
  • Thu, Aug 13 2009 11:18 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Edey:
    One step that I would add would be to glue down the cuff on the bag, clamping with clothes pins to keep it in place until the glue dried. I think that would help to strengthen the top and keep it in place.

Good idea. I wondered about the handles. I like fabric gift bags, too, and have made some, but paper bags are good, too, and they're cheaper if you don't have a lot of scrap material around. I can think of some paper bags I've thrown away or used for other things that would have made neat gift bags, so I'll try to keep my eyes open from now on.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• Sat, Aug 15 2009 12:56 AM In reply to

MY BOYFRIEND AND I ARE GOING TO MAKE OUR OWN WRAPPING PAPER THIS YEAR. NOW I THINK WE ARE GOING TO MAKE BAGS TOO, WITH OR WITHOUT HANDLES.

SOME TECHNIQUES ARE: (oooopps. sorry for caps lock)

sponges either in shapes or just for the hole-y look, crinkled bag gives it a camo look, potato stamps (or carrots, mushrooms, ect. for organic lovers) stencils, prints, such as pen cans for circles, a basket ball for a sports gift, just paint on black lines after it dries, deflate the ball slighty, dip in orange paint, and press on paper, for the texture. the list is endless.

And if you want to do wrapping paper, buy those huge rolls or butchers paper in either brown or white

if it wasnt for the kissing tradition, no one would care about mistletoe.

To live is to die slowly, love fully, breathe deeply, laugh uncontrollably, sing loudly, dance wildly, take no one for granted, smile when you want to cry, raise others up and be raised. Never let what you cant do, stop you from doing what you can.
  • Sat, Aug 15 2009 11:07 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

at moms group, another mom did a demo on making gift bags out of big envelopes.  you decorate it with stamps etc.  hole punch for ribbons or strings for handles.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Aug 15 2009 12:44 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I made several gift bags two years ago .. 

last year I took old Christmas card and put them on large bags I had to cover the design on the front .. I sprinkled glitter and added a few ribbons

everyone enjoyed them

this year I am going to try to make so more bags ... sounds like a fun day for the girls .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sat, Aug 15 2009 3:44 PM In reply to

Here's another idea for making gift bags from recycled materials.  My DD's did this at Brownies years ago - take a juice box, cut off the top and rinse it out thoroughly.  Cover the outside of the juice box with remnants of fabric or gift wrap, magazine or calendar pictures.   Punch holes on either side of the bag and thread handles through the holes.  The handles can be made from recycled satin ribbon, curling ribbon, yarn, coloured shoe laces, strips of fabric cut with a pinking shears, etc)

Of course, if you're truly frugal (like me) you don't buy juice boxes since you pack reusuable bottles in your kids' lunch boxes.  In that case, ask your less frugal friends and relatives for their juice boxes.  If you're embarassed at the prospect of asking other people for their garbage - tell them that the kids need the boxes for a recycled craft project!   

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Sun, Aug 16 2009 12:58 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

This probably sounds yucky, but if you wanted juice containers, you could probably find dozens by dumpster diving at the local school after lunchtime. If you do something like this wear gloves and old clothes or an apron. 

I've seen projects on the internet where they made purses out of the Capri-sun juice packs and sold those purses for big bucks.  I don't know how they are made, but can't be all that difficult, whether sewn together or glued.  Edey

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us