Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Too many mosquitos

Last post 08-13-2009 10:41 PM by Virginia Needlewoman. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-08-2009 12:48 PM

Too many mosquitos

I have a waterfall/pond/stream in the far back of my yard.   It has been there a year now.  Last year we had no problems w/ mosquitoes.  This year we can not go out and enjoy the pond because we are constantly attacked.  The water is not standing, it constantly moves.  I have three koi in the pond and I have gerainums on one side of the stream.  I have no idea where they could be breeding.  Any suggestions on how to get rid of them?  I have two young children and two dogs. 

• 08-08-2009 2:27 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Re: Too many mosquitos

Try attracting bats and/or birds that will eat them. Purple martins and swifts are the best bet for mosquito eaters. There are mosquito traps, too, but I don't know much about them. Here's an article that might help: 

How to Get Rid of Mosquitoes

Mosquitoes can breed in any damp place, so you might check around your waterfall/pond area and see if there are damp areas on the ground. 

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 08-08-2009 10:11 PM In reply to

Check out any standing water around, also piles of vegetation, damp stump, evern clumps of long grass. This is such a wet year.

There is something on the market for outside mosquito control, covers a certain amount of square footage.

Here, the gnats and mosquitos are o ubiquitous that I can't stay in my garden past dusk. Black flies, too. I think I am supporting the Cortaid people right now.

• 08-09-2009 12:47 AM In reply to

we use those mosquito donuts.  they have a bacteria in them that kills the larva in water.  we break them up and put them in everything that holds water- rain barrels, plant saucers, the little fountain on the deck.  you really have to check for any little water-catching spots- i found larvae in the wrinkles of a peat moss bag!  maybe 1 ounce of water in there!

• 08-13-2009 10:13 PM In reply to

We have huge ponds in out back yard and always have put mosquito fish in them. These are fish that live off the larvae that the mosquitos leave, Call your county extension service- with the lyme disease scare they hand them out free here (Northern Calif) I bet you can get some for free where ever you are! You will have absolutely ZERO mosqitos.Also look into citronella plants (go online and type it in) they are very pretty, thay bear yellow flowers in he dummer months, also Citronellla candles (alll are ways to get rid of mosquitos without putting chemicals all  over yourself and your family)

• 08-13-2009 10:41 PM In reply to

York County , VA gives those fish away to people for their ponds. Those fish apparently are great at getting rid of the nasty little critters that spread disease.

FYI: I live near the birthplace of Walter Reed, who discovered the cure for Yellow Fever which was carried by 'skeeters.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us